Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Mid to Long Term Discussion 2017

buckeyefan1

52 minutes ago, FLweather said:

I look at Nam all the time.  Every time I look at gfs/euro I look at nam too. Each model has their differences. Got too look at all models.  If not a bias it becomes.  Can't ask about the cold that was predicted.  But the future is now.  Where that death ridge ?!

Mack taunted the SER a few days ago and it came back for vengeance.  Don't you start now too. 

• Replies 10.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 hours ago, Cold Rain said:

Yep.  I don’t think it’s possible to get into a cold and snowy pattern for the southeast anymore....not without a strongly negative west NAO.  Unfortunately, that index goes positive as soon as winter begins and remains that way at least until winter is over.

And then it comes back with a raging vengeance about April and stays for 2 - 3 months when it does us absolutely no good.

3 hours ago, Cold Rain said:

Yep.  I don’t think it’s possible to get into a cold and snowy pattern for the southeast anymore....not without a strongly negative west NAO.  Unfortunately, that index goes positive as soon as winter begins and remains that way at least until winter is over.

I look at this every winter and hope...not sure in our lifetimes we will see a pattern like we say from the late 50's to the 80's.  Since then we have had a perpetual aleutian ridge with a atlantic ridge and a +NAO for the icing on the cake.  It's a miracle we have seen any snow, I am hoping for a nuisance sleet storm this winter, we can usually pull one of those off.

Complete opposites...

eB77Jnh.png

Today's EPS run...fortunate the NPac ridge is further east.

eps_z500a_d5_nh_312.png

20 minutes ago, packbacker said:

I look at this every winter and hope...not sure in our lifetimes we will see a pattern like we say from the late 50's to the 80's.  Since then we have had a perpetual aleutian ridge with a atlantic ridge and a +NAO for the icing on the cake.  It's a miracle we have seen any snow, I am hoping for a nuisance sleet storm this winter, we can usually pull one of those off.

Complete opposites...

eB77Jnh.png

Maybe it flips every 30 years? ;)

On a side note, does it puzzle anyone else that the Bering strait has apparently been above 1981 -2010 climo during both 1958 - 1988 and 1989 - 2017?  Is that mathematically possible?

12 minutes ago, cbmclean said:

Maybe it flips every 30 years? ;)

On a side note, does it puzzle anyone else that the Bering strait has apparently been above 1981 -2010 climo during both 1958 - 1988 and 1989 - 2017?  Is that mathematically possible?

It took me a second to wrap my head around that too, but it's just because only the months of Dec-Feb are listed - anomalies throughout the rest of the year must make up for the difference.

42 minutes ago, ajr said:

It took me a second to wrap my head around that too, but it's just because only the months of Dec-Feb are listed - anomalies throughout the rest of the year must make up for the difference.

Ah, I had assumed that the climatology base from for Dec - Feb also.

Archived