Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Southeast Sanitarium - A Place to Vent

Jonathan

11 hours ago, thess said:

Sorry, lurker non-met and I usually keep my posts to a minimum. However, tonight's posts are more cryptic than usual but tone seems pretty negative. Did we lose the storm for now?

(Figured this would be okay in cliff diver thread.)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

This is not the cliff diving thread. This is the Realistic Expectations Based on Climo thread.   

it's funny that these days local stations/mets can no longer totally ignore threats in the long range because of social media. Which already has caused one of the local mets in atlanta to acknowledging the possible threat a little while ago.  But i had to laugh when she said knew people would be seeing all kinds of scary maps from "dubious sources"....like um..actual model progs? I like her, she's a good met and realize it's smart to lower expectations (joanne feldman) but that was a bit much. 

4 minutes ago, Lookout said:

it's funny that these days local stations/mets can no longer totally ignore threats in the long range because of social media. Which already has caused one of the local mets in atlanta to acknowledging the possible threat a little while ago.  But i had to laugh when she said knew people would be seeing all kinds of scary maps from "dubious sources"....like um..actual model progs? I like her, she's a good met (joanne feldman) but that was a bit much. 

this is something i dont understand.....a snow event would impact a very wide area and everybody that lives there yet they hesitate to even mention snow 3 or 4 days out, BUT a potential tornado event if it verifies only impacts a very small portion of the area and most of the people in the area have no impact, but they will harp on them a week in advance.

This is truly a vent.

Here it is January 2nd and my azaleas are blooming; trees I've never seen bud out before late February, even in the mildest of winters, are going for it; my 30 blueberry bushes are setting flowers.

Oh well ... 2016 - a year to remember ....

5 minutes ago, BillT said:

this is something i dont understand.....a snow event would impact a very wide area and everybody that lives there yet they hesitate to even mention snow 3 or 4 days out, BUT a potential tornado event if it verifies only impacts a very small portion of the area and most of the people in the area have no impact, but they will harp on them a week in advance.

and if it doesn't materialize it's not considered a huge bust and people don't throw fits. Same goes for heavy rain. 

I understand the tax payer money issue..where if a storm is forecast a lot is spent on roads, services, etc and you don't want to forecast a huge storm and end up wasting money but what situation would you rather have your viewers/public  in...caught out in the middle of a big snow/ice event and bad roads because the forecast wasn't bullish enough... Or people being caught out in the rain or dry weather?  Of course a lot of this is because the public blows up in anger if a storm isn't as bad as advertised yet isn't nearly as negative when they are caught out in it. It's all backwards honestly.  

11 minutes ago, Thrasher Fan said:

Prayers to the mods.

The next 4 days are going to be a mess around here.

lol..thanks. It'll be ok if the models hold on and we all get blasted but if it starts to trend in a negative direction...that's when it goes down hill quick. 

6 minutes ago, Snowless in Carrollton said:

I hate waiting because I think of a million things that can go wrong between now and then and more often than not some little minor detail ends up throwing everything off.

One of the things that i find most bothersome is just how exhausted i am by the time it gets here because it becomes so time consuming. If there is a legit threat, it's hard to do anything else but read the board, refresh models, compare them to previous runs and each other, etc...etc. Nothing else gets done or seems to matter....we are all sick lol.