Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
January Medium/Long Range Discussion

WinterWxLuvr

1 minute ago, BristowWx said:

Have we ever seen a perfectly modeled snow event 10 days out actually work out?  I want to believe that we can track this for 10 days and then cash in. But I know better.  Although last year we had quite a lead time.  6 days I think and it trended better each run.

Not so much on the op runs, as they often show a storm then lose it and bring it back, then lose it again. But on the ens, especially for most of the "big" storms, a good set up shows itself at fairly long leads. Thats where we are now. Pretty strong signal for a winter storm, details all still to be worked out.

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, C.A.P.E. said:

Not so much on the op runs, as they often show a storm then lose it and bring it back, then lose it again. But on the ens, especially for most of the "big" storms, a good set up shows itself at fairly long leads. Thats where we are now. Pretty strong signal for a winter storm, details all still to be worked out.

Exactly. The setup works in general but how it evolves in or out of our favor won't be known for 5+ days. Euro op is only one way it could possibly work. The ensemble spread is still pretty large with about half showing basically no event. Some had nice coastals but but different timing. Others had nice over over running and some had rain with west tracks. 

Latching onto an op at this range will get feelings hurt.   

6 minutes ago, Bob Chill said:

Exactly. The setup works in general but how it evolves in or out of our favor won't be known for 5+ days. Euro op is only one way it could possibly work. The ensemble spread is still pretty large with about half showing basically no event. Some had nice coastals but but different timing. Others had nice over over running and some had rain with west tracks. 

Latching onto an op at this range will get feelings hurt.   

Exactly.  People better keep their expectations in check.  Sure, the mean is "in the blue" (a whopping 3-3.5") for 15 days, but 19 members are a virtual shutout with about 25 being pretty heavy with amounts.

Only 9 members shown more than a couple of inches in the next ten days.

We need to celebrate a better pattern but keep the snow thoughts restricted to actual events within about 120 hours.

6 minutes ago, WxWatcher007 said:

I keep saying I shouldn't stay up, but my body is trained to stay up when tracking big(ish) events and I wake up early for every event. Can't help it. It's a disease. 

I suffer from it as well. Always have.. it was a bit different tracking when I was a kid. We didn't have smartphones lol. 

7 minutes ago, dailylurker said:

I suffer from it as well. Always have.. it was a bit different tracking when I was a kid. We didn't have smartphones lol. 

Thats how I was when I was living in Louisiana with tropical weather events... couldn't turn my head away ever. I'd stay up til 2 AM to catch the Euro and then wake up the next day at 6 AM to catch the GFS...

48 minutes ago, C.A.P.E. said:

lol

I lost a lot of sleep inside of 5 days for last January's storm, but we aren't even close to that here.

Same here, I'll admit!  That Saturday afternoon before the storm actually occurred (the next Fri/Sat), all the 12Z guidance was mostly locked in on a significant event.  It was remarkable.  Details were of course not quite "all there" yet.  But when I saw the guidance that afternoon, I knew we'd all better plan for a long week with little sleep!  Similarly for Feb. 5-6, 2010, and even PD-II.

3 hours ago, Bob Chill said:

Nah, shouldn't amaze anyone. MA climo isn't very snowy. Mean snowfall is made up of boom and bust so sucking happens way more often than winning. Generally we probably need 3-4 chances for each actual event. This is only our second one so far. Wasting good setups is something we do well. lol

We'll, it's not so common knowledge to us weather novices (don't forget you do have some that follow this forum!)...In fact, I wasn't even aware of how much had to go right to get snow until I started following you guys on here a couple years ago (I knew snowstorms were spotty, but not the reason why). Even if it's not surprising...it's still amazing either way, lol So I'm wondering: The snowier regions of the country (i.e. the Midwest) can track snow a heck of a lot easier, can't they?

7 minutes ago, Maestrobjwa said:

We'll, it's not so common knowledge to us weather novices (don't forget you do have some that follow this forum!)...In fact, I wasn't even aware of how much had to go right to get snow until I started following you guys on here a couple years ago (I knew snowstorms were spotty, but not the reason why). Even if it's not surprising...it's still amazing either way, lol So I'm wondering: The snowier regions of the country (i.e. the Midwest) can track snow a heck of a lot easier, can't they?

Part of me wishes I never found the pre-amwx board fka easternwx. It's a rabbit hole and a time suck. Lol. 

I would say anywhere outside of orographic mountain zones and lake effect belts are equally as tricky. The MW doesn't really get big storms often at all too so living in the noreaster zone is more fun in some ways. 

Once you have the snow weenie disease there can never be enough snow. I lived in ski country in the CO rockies from 92-99. We had a 150" month and a couple 400"+ seasons and I still always wanted more. I'm a very sick man. Lol 

Ya'll are getting a bit premature with this. We aren't even tracking a storm yet. We have a threat window in 9-12 days. The models didn't spit out a perfect storm solution at 12z, far from it. There's plenty of room for both improvement and sadness with the depiction shown today. If the ensembles keep showing the -EPO/-NAO/50-50 low scenario for the next 3 days or so, then there will be enough fidelity to start keying on 1 or 2 short waves and  tracking single storms.

1 minute ago, Bob Chill said:

Part of me wishes I never found the pre-amwx board fka easternwx. It's a rabbit hole and a time suck. Lol. 

I would say anywhere outside of orographic mountain zones and lake effect belts are equally as tricky. The MW doesn't really get big storms often at all too so living in the noreaster zone is more fun in some ways. 

Once you have the snow weenie disease there can never be enough snow. I lived in ski country in the CO rockies from 92-99. We had a 150" month and a couple 400"+ seasons and I still always wanted more. I'm a very sick man. Lol 

I would love 600 inches of snow. LOL. 

2 minutes ago, WxUSAF said:

Ya'll are getting a bit premature with this. We aren't even tracking a storm yet. We have a threat window in 9-12 days. The models didn't spit out a perfect storm solution at 12z, far from it. There's plenty of room for both improvement and sadness with the depiction shown today. If the ensembles keep showing the -EPO/-NAO/50-50 low scenario for the next 3 days or so, then there will be enough fidelity to start keying on 1 or 2 short waves and  tracking single storms.

Now this would be a nice snowstorm.  gfs_mslp_pcpn_frzn_us_43.png

28 minutes ago, PaEasternWX said:

18z GEFS seems like a step down but still look decent.

Screen Shot 2016-12-28 at 7.22.48 PM.png

We lost a couple inches from the day 7 wave, there were still some big hits in previous runs with that wave to our west, they are pretty much gone now.  The snow from the day 9-12 period is about the same.  Its mostly noise.  If i wanted to nitpick the blocking shifted east slightly in the long range 18z and that is not good but its been shifting around run to run, it wasnt a huge difference. 

Archived