joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
January Medium/Long Range Discussion

WinterWxLuvr

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The major difference is the position and strength of the HP. There is no way to know what that is going to be from this range. A strong pressing HP you get suppression. Weaker and further north you get this run. Weaker still or non existent you get a cutter. And I am still liking the 500 pattern in the medium range. The GFS is trying to keep the atmosphere buckled for quite a while. NAO looks to go negative and stay there through mid month. Although it is a bit east based of perfect. The ridge position on the west coast isnt perfect. But the medium range pattern as advertised on this run is good for a shot or two of frozen stuff.

Just now, clskinsfan said:

The major difference is the position and strength of the HP. There is no way to know what that is going to be from this range. A strong pressing HP you get suppression. Weaker and further north you get this run. Weaker still or non existent you get a cutter. And I am still liking the 500 pattern in the medium range. The GFS is trying to keep the atmosphere buckled for quite a while. NAO looks to go negative and stay there through mid month. Although it is a bit east based of perfect. The ridge position on the west coast isnt perfect. But the medium range pattern as advertised on this run is good for a shot or two of frozen stuff.

The low heights in NE and Quebec was the difference in those two runs, IMO.

1 minute ago, WinterWxLuvr said:

Rooting doesn't change anything.

The seasonal trend is less of a cold push, higher heights in the se.

My guess is that if you are looking at a 10 day storm and you're on the southern edge of good snow, you're already in trouble.

Good call- this thing is headed well north.   Wish I was in interior Pa- near Carbondale for this one 

Just now, supernovasky said:

What is going on with the models in 30h? Both the Euro and the GFS keep spitting snow in my area (Gaithersburg) even though the temps don't support it. I've seen it in a few runs now.

Looks like morning snow showers to me.  If it comes early, some may see a quick coating.

22 minutes ago, clskinsfan said:

And I know its already been touched on. But the NAO looks to start relaxing around the 13th or so on this run. That storm is currently modeled as a cutter. But it is something to watch IMO.

Canadian is a jumper at 12Z. I hate seeing that for sure.

I think it's a good sign when you pair that with a suppressed gfs and a less suppressed euro.  Besides, the CMC depiction would be a great storm.

1 minute ago, stormtracker said:

Matt just texted said it was "wet"(not rain wet, just qpf wet)  maybe mixy...but sounds good this far out

Walking the line. Primary drives into N WV so mid levels suffer. But not after a decent 6-10" shellacking. It's a pretty classic thump before flip with that track. Good HP sprawled north of us. 

Lots of solutions on the table today, but I like that they all can lead to snow for us. Tests the benefit of having a favorable pattern. More margin a good event.  Again, let's keep the ensemble means looking good for now. GEFS mean looks good but individual members still have a lot of spread it looks like for any storm. I like where we stand. 

Archived