joxey
January Medium/Long Range Discussion

WinterWxLuvr

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, supernovasky said:

I just need to see it before my hopes are dashed completely :(

Damnit this is the one downfall of living in eastern time. Euro is way late.

My advice is keep your hopes in check.  Listen to people like Bob and PSU and put your faith in the pattern.  8-10 days on op runs is way too far out.

5 hours ago, PaEasternWX said:

@psuhoffman what is preventing the storm as depicted on the GFS from deepening more and coming up the coast.

The overall long wave trough axis. It's fairly broad and flat, and suppressed under some blocking. Our suppression is richmonds snow. New York's suppression is our snow. We don't know yet where the boundary will be. It's shifting a bit each run.  But the flow is fairly flat. If the look we have been seeing is accurate (still a huge if) then this type of system is likely to move more west to east then south to north. The bit of ridging holding on in the southeast could help it gain some latitude though. Also a stronger vort and a bit more dig and perhaps...but that's a dangerous game because too much and we're watching this trend to an interior event. Still some ku storms were open wave overrunning driven events. Usually not massive total type storms with the exception of pd2 but we can get very good storms this way. Pd2 had a truly arctic high in perfect spot with a Nino enhanced stj so let's rule that out btw. This as it's constituted now (I haven't started to look at 0z stuff yet) isn't a dynamic type event but more a clash of air masses along the baroclinoc boundary. A decent wave can produce great results in this setup if we are lucky enough to be just a bit on the cold side but not too far. 

2 minutes ago, yoda said:

Too bad the run truncated... 240 to 252 is a complete QPF change

The whole run is pretty suspect really.  The storm we are watching seems really sensitive to the energy we get in the sw.  This run there was very little to work with.  Heights along the se coast were higher so a storm of any significance would have easily tracked more north.

13 minutes ago, Thanatos_I_Am said:

I think at this point we should be more concerned with the ensembles, yes?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yes but some are getting way too detailed for a day 8-11 window that isn't even defined to a specific vort yet. Just looked at the 0z gfs. It's fine. We're actually looking at 3 vorts ejecting from the west during our window. Each is more likely to be north of the previous. Euro control was a weenie run by overlapping all 3 and crushing us. Gfs mucks up the first two by ejecting them too close together and running interference. The 3rd then clips us with something at least. I'm not wasting time over analyzing that mess. Could it be right sure. Or one of those vorts isn't there allowing the other to develop and nail us. Or the first two go south and the 3rd north and we cry. Who knows we're walking minor differences for that lead time. It's all equally possible. Notice for everyone crying about the big warmup after it's gone on the 0z. Has a 1040 arctic high over Wisconsin day 13 and another window if something can organize along the stalled boundary to our south.  

8 minutes ago, WinterWxLuvr said:

The whole run is pretty suspect really.  The storm we are watching seems really sensitive to the energy we get in the sw.  This run there was very little to work with.  Heights along the se coast were higher so a storm of any significance would have easily tracked more north.

Two vorts ejected too close together and so nothing was able to get going. They split the potential energy. Weaken or spread one of them out and it's a different solution. Way too far out to worry about that kind of timing. 

5 minutes ago, kurtstack said:

gfs suppressed weak and washed out - euro wrapped up and well north - the answer probably lies in between those two op runs

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

EURO OP was probably the highest/best we could see out of this period IMO... well besides the EURO control weenie run

Archived