Total Members
    Most Online
    12bet1 net
    Newest Member
    12bet1 net
Thursday Thumper or Thirst-Quencher

moneypitmike

5 minutes ago, dryslot said:

Riding the fence here, The Euro has been steadfast with a more eastern track which holds the cold and snow further to the coast, It has been locked on this solution for days, The other model guidance has shifted back and forth, Should be an interesting day on the models, But i can see a bust in either direction.

I was suprised to see the extent of the taint up your way.  Hopefully, things will nudge colder today.  I'm toast on the coast but you can still come away with a big event--I'm thinking you will.  We'll  know more in a couple hours though.  :)

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
7 minutes ago, dendrite said:

It was about 10F warmer than MOS here last night...barely went below freezing imby. 

Yeah I can't believe how warm it has been the last day. It has been a meltapalooza!  Thank God we have a storm coming just-in-time to ensure that our continuous snow-covered continues.  I'm down to around 3 inches in the yard and there's probably 5 to 6 inches in the woods . There's actually spots opening up on the sunny hay fields round here which is truly disturbing. 

11 minutes ago, moneypitmike said:

I was suprised to see the extent of the taint up your way.  Hopefully, things will nudge colder today.  I'm toast on the coast but you can still come away with a big event--I'm thinking you will.  We'll  know more in a couple hours though.  :)

The euro has stayed the course here now for 3 days, Its either going to score a coup or it may slide towards the other guidance, I just don't see that happening, It has been consistently 12+" for 3 days or so, The other guidance has wavered from run to run with the GFS being the warmest, We may know today or this may end up even going to nowcast for here, I think areas back the the NW are a lock for the higher totals, The wildcard will be here to the coast.

Surprised at how high BOX is estimating for my area.  2-4 during the day tomorrow and 5-9 at night. A little overdone, I suspect. The gradients are tight, though. Fitchburg is 1-3 day and 8-12 at night. Must have something to do with northward progression. Meanwhile Webster, about the same distance south from me as Fitchburg is north is expected to get 3-5 total. I'd move the Webster total north to about my area and maybe ORH totals up to Fitchburg. 

1 minute ago, J Paul Gordon said:

Surprised at how high BOX is estimating for my area.  2-4 during the day tomorrow and 5-9 at night. A little overdone, I suspect. The gradients are tight, though. Fitchburg is 1-3 day and 8-12 at night. Must have something to do with northward progression. Meanwhile Webster, about the same distance south from me as Fitchburg is north is expected to get 3-5 total. I'd move the Webster total north to about my area and maybe ORH totals up to Fitchburg. 

Right! What model is BOX,&  Gray maine using?, I am under 12-16" for my county, some calling for 5-7" total here in my city, just wondering what model they are locked into

2 minutes ago, 512high said:

Right! What model is BOX,&  Gray maine using?, I am under 12-16" for my county, some calling for 5-7" total here in my city, just wondering what model they are locked into

GYX has us down to 6" in our "most likely" and places like wunderground now have us down to 1-4" totals.  It's still December and thankful for anything, but come on man!

On the BOX maps, I notice there is a wider disparity between "most likely" and "lowest potential" than there is between "most likely" and "highest potential".  I think that suggests there is less likelihood it will bust high and more that it comes in lower than the 'most likely' scenario.

Just now, moneypitmike said:

On the BOX maps, I notice there is a wider disparity between "most likely" and "lowest potential" than there is between "most likely" and "highest potential".  I think that suggests there is less likelihood it will bust high and more that it comes in lower than the 'most likely' scenario.

I thought it was reckoning in the 25%, 50%, and 75% range (or 10%, 50%, 90%) meaning about 25% or 10% in the upper/lower ranges. This might support the "bust" rationale in terms of range, but I can't see the rationale for weighting one end or the other in terms of likelihood. Of course, statistics was not my forte. 

46 minutes ago, mahk_webstah said:

Yeah I can't believe how warm it has been the last day. It has been a meltapalooza!  Thank God we have a storm coming just-in-time to ensure that our continuous snow-covered continues.  I'm down to around 3 inches in the yard and there's probably 5 to 6 inches in the woods . There's actually spots opening up on the sunny hay fields round here which is truly disturbing. 

Has been; yesterday was spring-like. But what I was getting at is this colder airmass seems to be setting in nicely (finally). It took its time after the fropa, but it's here. It feels like winter again.

1 minute ago, RUNNAWAYICEBERG said:

you guys seem way too nervous, frantically looking at every nws update, questioning which model they are using, comparing their snow maps to see which way your yards are trending....holy moly new englanders. just track it, get crushed or bust, and enjoy it.

You are absolutely right!  With that, I'm going to breakfast and not fretting over it!

1 minute ago, RUNNAWAYICEBERG said:

you guys seem way too nervous lol. frantically looking at every nws update, questioning which model they are using, comparing their snow maps to see which way your yards are trending....holy moly new englanders. just track it, get crushed or bust, and enjoy it.

I understand I am a wennie, however, for plow operations, manpower, etc. I'm just trying to get an idea, I understand some model runs will change again and again

8 minutes ago, J Paul Gordon said:

I thought it was reckoning in the 25%, 50%, and 75% range (or 10%, 50%, 90%) meaning about 25% or 10% in the upper/lower ranges. This might support the "bust" rationale in terms of range, but I can't see the rationale for weighting one end or the other in terms of likelihood. Of course, statistics was not my forte. 

Correct in that it's showing probability.  What I'm saying is that within the same range of variability, there's more room on the downside than there is on the upside.

28 minutes ago, 512high said:

Well, They don't split counties, So if your in the southern part and you are being in Nashua and the folks in the northern part are going to see those accumulations you will be included, This system has a real sharp gradient to where the heavy snow and snow/rain will fall.

5 minutes ago, RUNNAWAYICEBERG said:

you guys seem way too nervous lol. frantically looking at every nws update, questioning which model they are using, comparing their snow maps to see which way your yards are trending....holy moly new englanders. just track it, get crushed or bust, and enjoy it.

LOL. 

5 minutes ago, 512high said:

came into my phone at 420am, said for my county, granted, It covers some high elev. but 12-16...

I think they can split the eastern part of the zone off, but its a pretty big county. I would feel pretty good about 12" in the WNW part of the county. Further east remains to be seen at this point

4 minutes ago, Baroclinic Zone said:

You're walking the line there as well, correct?  See if things go to town in time to help your cause.

i'm looking forward to my drought busting rains.

Yup, Its the low track, Euro keeps it to the east, Rest of the guidance tracks it overhead, I have been beat by 20 miles before, Quite sure it will happen again

8 minutes ago, dryslot said:

Well, They don't split counties, So if your in the southern part and you are being in Nashua and the folks in the northern part are going to see those accumulations you will be included, This system has a real sharp gradient to where the heavy snow and snow/rain will fall.

The NWS has split counties in the past.  PHI did it with Burling, Chester, Montgomery, & Bucks.  LWX did it with Baltimore, Harford, Montgomery, Howard, Loudoun and Fairfax counties.  CTP did it with Clinton, Lycoming and Centre.

3 minutes ago, Eskimo Joe said:

The NWS has split counties in the past.  PHI did it with Burling, Chester, Montgomery, & Bucks.  LWX did it with Baltimore, Harford, Montgomery, Howard, Loudoun and Fairfax counties.  CTP did it with Clinton, Lycoming and Centre.

Quite sure its easier down there, But when your in an area like i am and many here that sit at 200' elevation and you have towns 20 miles to your west that are at 1,500'+ You get lumped in, That where knowing your climo comes into play.

Archived