Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Dec 15-18 Arctic Front/Snow Thump/Meltdown to the Border

HoarfrostHubb

2 hours ago, OceanStWx said:

It looks like there are two very distinct windows for wind today/tonight. The first this afternoon looks more evenly distributed across the region, but there is a nice isallobaric couplet crossing SNE.

The second one tonight with the Arctic front looks to have the greatest potential wind. It will have the trop fold, the CAA, and an even stronger isallobaric couplet. This one is more focused across CNE, slicing through the Dacks, across southern VT and NH. NAM vs. the GFS for your viewing pleasure.

deltaP.jpeg

deltaP_GFS.jpeg

Go NAM go!

Yeah...I mean the wind looks strong, but how often do we pull 60-80mph winds over the interior at night with CAA? My little lazy quick wind check is to take the MOS max WSP value and double it for peak gusts. CON has a 24 this afternoon so we'll see if 45-50mph works out. 

• Replies 954
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 minutes ago, dendrite said:

Yeah...I mean the wind looks strong, but how often do we pull 60-80mph winds over the interior at night with CAA? My little lazy quick wind check is to take the MOS max WSP value and double it for peak gusts. CON has a 24 this afternoon so we'll see if 45-50mph works out. 

We were just talking about that. Have we ever verified HWW on CAA at night?

Plus have we ever had an ASOS/AWOS gust 50 mph over sustained winds before (a la 15-25 mph gust 65 mph)?

41 minutes ago, HoarfrostHubb said:

Some nice squalls on the ride into work this morning.   Brief near whiteout in Gardner

Nice--bummed I missed them (I pass the Hubbardston exit around 5:00).  It looked nice just west of there yesterday--really from east of the river up toward you.  Particularly around Millers Falls.

Very impressive squall came through..it was Whiteout(not near whiteout).  Picked up a quarter inch, and ground all white/covered.  Temp went from 25 to 18 in 15 minutes.  Cold seems to be over performing thus far..was forecast for Mid twenties for this morning and dropping during the afternoon.  We are down further than was forecast at this early juncture.

Archived