Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Dec 15-18 Arctic Front/Snow Thump/Meltdown to the Border

HoarfrostHubb

Just now, weathafella said:

Looking at the rough products I can easily see Ray limiting his time of torch-heck even me while south of the pike gets obliterated.  Once we mix out everyone warms but I bet many end up with net gain given the seal in potential of the tuck.  MOS keeps BOS within 1-2 of freezing until well past dark.

Yup. That's what's gonna happen. 48-52 south of ORH for 10 hours while North and east stays near freezing until mix out time. Wish we could keep ours too, but I don't see how that's possible 

• Replies 954
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, weathafella said:

Looking at the rough products I can easily see Ray limiting his time of torch-heck even me while south of the pike gets obliterated.  Once we mix out everyone warms but I bet many end up with net gain given the seal in potential of the tuck.  MOS keeps BOS within 1-2 of freezing until well past dark.

We could still see 6+ hours of high dew 50F+...that will do some damage. I'd feel more confident about a net gainer if we saw 6"+...don't think 3" will do it.

1 minute ago, weathafella said:

Strength of the front ended is the game changer and we don't really know yet.

Yes...it's possible it over performs and we see a lot of 5-7" amounts...if that's the case, we probably survive. If it's more like 3"...then we're prob wiped out.

Deeper into the interior, there's already an existing snowpack that will help those areas.

3 minutes ago, Damage In Tolland said:

And if folks do keep some it's likely wiped out by the Dec 23-26 torch. Either way blows

Yes, but I'd def rather have it for several more days...it will remain cold through middle next week after the storm. There's no guarantee of future torches.

2 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

Yes, but I'd def rather have it for several more days...it will remain cold through middle next week after the storm. There's no guarantee of future torches.

Totally agree. I've resigned myself that mine is gone. I know how these work here. Ray will be left with 2-3 inches of pockmark pack while  south of ORH stares at grass and acorns 

1 minute ago, CoastalWx said:

Wow 3KM NAM tucks BOS below 32 as well.

Def a nowcast situation...you can see even ont he Euro, it is bulging the 32F isotherm into Essex county at 00z Sun...usually it's trying to push it way inland to N ORH and Cheshire county.

We'll have to really monitor how cold it stays on the W side of the front. Sometimes the models have a split of like 27-28F on the west side and 34F ont he east side but in reality it ends up like 20F and 34F....so if that frigid arctic airmass is having a hard time getting eroded, a cold tuck will be much much more dangerous as it would def put a lot of areas below freezing that had earlier risen above. But if the interior cold dome is getting eroded, then it might not as quite as bad.

Just now, ORH_wxman said:

Def a nowcast situation...you can see even ont he Euro, it is bulging the 32F isotherm into Essex county at 00z Sun...usually it's trying to push it way inland to N ORH and Cheshire county.

We'll have to really monitor how cold it stays on the W side of the front. Sometimes the models have a split of like 27-28F on the west side and 34F ont he east side but in reality it ends up like 20F and 34F....so if that frigid arctic airmass is having a hard time getting eroded, a cold tuck will be much much more dangerous as it would def put a lot of areas below freezing that had earlier risen above. But if the interior cold dome is getting eroded, then it might not as quite as bad.

Yeah...as a meteorologist, it makes perfect sense to me. Of course if it's BOS or LWM is tough to say right now...but that cold will find any excuse to dive SE again if we get a weak meso low. By I agree that the temp gradient is probably more like your example. 

It looks like the sun has stalled the temp drop in GC.  We're up a degree in the last hour from the 14.2* low.  Meanwhile, clouds are moving into downtown.

Am I interpreting the recent posts correctly that it seems that NE Mass might be the big winner this weekend?  I'm hoping for a least a net-zero weekend with hope that it will be a gainer.

Archived