Newest Member
    joxey
Winter Banter & General Discussion/Observations

ORH_wxman

• Replies 3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 minutes ago, dendrite said:

Some may not see freezing again until Sunday night...pretty crazy.

I was just looking at my data from Feb 2015... what an amazing difference.  It doesn't seem too crazy to think I may never experience a colder month here.

• Only reached freezing twice
  • 9 single digit lows
  • A ridiculous 17 lows at or below zero.
  • -15.3 on the 24th, which is my third coldest temp here since 1986.  (-20 in 1994 and -17.2 in 2009)

2 hours ago, eekuasepinniW said:

I was just looking at my data from Feb 2015... what an amazing difference.  It doesn't seem too crazy to think I may never experience a colder month here.

• 9 single digit lows
  • -15.3 on the 24th, which is my third coldest temp here since 1986.  (-20 in 1994 and -17.2 in 2009)

I had an avg min slightly below 0F. That's not supposed to happen here on the hillside.

Nice use of a bulleted list too. 

Borrowing your format for an amazing month:

• Only reached freezing once - for about 3 hours on 2/22
  • 6 minus-twenties lows
  • A ridiculous 24 lows at or below zero.  The other four: 1,1,4,5.  Average low was -10.1
  • -25 on the 24th, which (surprisingly) is only my fifth coldest February temp here since 1999.  (-29 and -28 in 2003, -26 in 2008 and in 2009)  That -25 ranks 15th, trailing 9 days in January and one in Dec as well, plus 2 ties in January and one in March.  (-25 is my median for winter's coldest.)
  • Despite all that cold and 23.5" of snow, my snow depth at the end of the month - 26" - was exactly the same as on Feb. 1.

12 hours ago, eekuasepinniW said:

• 9 single digit lows

8 hours ago, tamarack said:

Borrowing your format for an amazing month:

• Only reached freezing once - for about 3 hours on 2/22
  • 6 minus-twenties lows
  • A ridiculous 24 lows at or below zero.  The other four: 1,1,4,5.  Average low was -10.1
  • -25 on the 24th, which (surprisingly) is only my fifth coldest February temp here since 1999.  (-29 and -28 in 2003, -26 in 2008 and in 2009)  That -25 ranks 15th, trailing 9 days in January and one in Dec as well, plus 2 ties in January and one in March.  (-25 is my median for winter's coldest.)
  • Despite all that cold and 23.5" of snow, my snow depth at the end of the month - 26" - was exactly the same as on Feb. 1.

And somewhere on White Heat @Ginx snewx felt a stirring in his ski pants. 

9 minutes ago, OceanStWx said:

Who knows what kind of animals are riding that heat plume north through the Midwest.

You're missing some historic warmth in the Quad Cities.  Probably going to break the all-time February record at MLI tomorrow, which was just set on Sunday lol.  Don't you wish you were back there to experience it? ;)

1 minute ago, Hoosier said:

You're missing some historic warmth in the Quad Cities.  Probably going to break the all-time February record at MLI tomorrow, which was just set on Sunday lol.  Don't you wish you were back there to experience it? ;)

I definitely miss a Midwest spring. You can yo-yo a bit, but when it warms up it warms up.

The records falling at MLI, GRB, ORD, etc are pretty impressive.

8 minutes ago, OceanStWx said:

I definitely miss a Midwest spring. You can yo-yo a bit, but when it warms up it warms up.

The records falling at MLI, GRB, ORD, etc are pretty impressive.

What's crazy is the long duration.  Not unusual to get a big/record breaking torch for a day or two, but this will end up lasting a week.  It's like a February version of that stretch in March 2012.

2 minutes ago, Hoosier said:

What's crazy is the long duration.  Not unusual to get a big/record breaking torch for a day or two, but this will end up lasting a week.  It's like a February version of that stretch in March 2012.

I found it interesting that the anomalies aren't crazy off the charts either. Around +2 SD at 850 mb. But in a smaller area around IA, WI, and IL it is outside of the model climate history. 

5 minutes ago, OceanStWx said:

I found it interesting that the anomalies aren't crazy off the charts either. Around +2 SD at 850 mb. But in a smaller area around IA, WI, and IL it is outside of the model climate history. 

A good chunk of the area was pretty dry going in, so there's been very efficient low level heating.  Big diurnal spreads until recently when it's gotten more moist.  Also don't have the corn fed 80 degree dews to deal with at this time of year, or any vegetation for that matter, so it's off to the races on these days with plenty of sun. 

2 minutes ago, Hoosier said:

A good chunk of the area was pretty dry going in, so there's been very efficient low level heating.  Big diurnal spreads until recently when it's gotten more moist.  Also don't have the corn fed 80 degree dews to deal with at this time of year, or any vegetation for that matter, so it's off to the races on these days with plenty of sun. 

I would say your +2 SD is a lot different than our +2 SD this time of year too. 

GEFS is forecasting +12 over DVN for a +2 SD, but +5 over BGR would produce the same SD around here.

Archived