Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Matthew

NWNC2015

4 minutes ago, Blue_Ridge_Escarpment said:

NHC will need to make major adjustment to cone. No recurve showing now on models. 18Z GFS showing Matthew climbing to just above Wilmington before curving. 

Yeah, but all of the other models still have it.  I doubt they will make wholesale changes until other major models agree.  Let's see what happens with the 0z runs.

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

For those of you that are evacuating from the coast, put a cup of water in your freezer. Freeze it solid and then put a quarter on top of it and leave it in your freezer. That way when you come back after you've been evacuated you can tell if your food went completely bad and just refroze or if it stayed Frozen while you were gone. If the quarter has fallen to the bottom of the cup that means all the food defrosted and you should throw it out. But if the quarter is either on the top or in the middle of the cup then your food may still be ok. It would also be a great idea to leave this in your freezer all the time and if you loose power for any reason you will have this tip to fall back on. 

14572392_1295761810437025_20489961060034

1 hour ago, Animal said:

Any feedback for the Mt Pleasant, SC area near Charleston. Brother lives there and has decided to stay. He has a canal in his back yard. Apparently during the epic rains last year, there was some decent flooding near him.

He needs to get out.  45 to 60mph gust to 90mph expected.  10-15" of rain.  I'm in Ladson/Summerville area so I know the area and he's high risk for surge, rainfall flooding and destructive winds.  

14 minutes ago, Animal said:

mt pleasant, sc. small block party. Apparently, nobody is leaving due to a cat 1 off the coast.

I remember quoting Brick and others posting cones with Matthew weakening after Haiti and no restrengthening in the Bahamas. This was days ago. I still don't understand why the NHC is so conservative with intensity. 

Should the NHC give a range for intensity like they do with the cone for further out in time? 

I'm trying to decide if me and my wife should leave we live in a town home 31 miles from Folly beach, West Ashley S.C.

We didn't get flooded last October. We know the storm surge could be different then what hit us last year. Anyone have an idea if West Ashley is going to be flooded worse then last year?

Thanks so much we want to ride it out if we can work etc.

7 minutes ago, nchighcountrywx said:

18z HWRF does go from Myrtle Beach to Cape Fear to SE of Cape Lookout.

Will sure be monitoring this trend 

However Matthew would be considerably weaker beyond Charleston

To expand on this... original point of Impact in SC is right around Edisto/Charleston.  Comes quite far inland as a 947 weakening to 954.  One of the farthest inland running runs I have seen of the models for SC.  Scary stuff.  Leaves MYB into the ocean as a 971 weakening as it go up towards NC.

Basically, violent storm landfalling around Charleston instead of hitting FL first.  Worst case scenario for coastal SC.

1 hour ago, AJF0602 said:

I hope eastern Nc didn't let their guard down, that was a major change on the gfs, especially for areas around top sail beach and Wilmington.

Just spent last week in North Topsail. We come down there almost every year so hoping it doesn't take to much damage. Anyone here live there or near to it? I'd be curious to keep tabs on obs there. Was down there last year when Jaquin passed by out to sea and the wave action was pretty intense so I can only imagine what Mathew will bring..

Raining like cats and dogs. For some strange reason I feel as if Matthew will come curving between Orlando and 95 at coco tittiesville. Ive been watching the wind mill this afternoon.  For the most part its be NE on occasion would get nothing or a e/ese component to the wind. Anyway so far 2.3" of rain

You guys are being overly dramatic with the SC people. There's no scenario in which it hasn't weakened substantially by the time it gets there. If I lived there I would probably stay unless I lived in flood prone area. It isn't just looting, getting back can be a nightmare.

20 minutes ago, bluffton21 said:

I'm trying to decide if me and my wife should leave we live in a town home 31 miles from Folly beach, West Ashley S.C.

We didn't get flooded last October. We know the storm surge could be different then what hit us last year. Anyone have an idea if West Ashley is going to be flooded worse then last year?

I would listen to whatever the authorities are saying, and not some anonymous message board posters.

Are you in a mandatory evacuation zone?

2 minutes ago, Dunkman said:

You guys are being overly dramatic with the SC people. There's no scenario in which it hasn't weakened substantially by the time it gets there. If I lived there I would probably stay unless I lived in flood prone area. It isn't just looting, getting back can be a nightmare.

That's the point... Mt. Pleasant will flood.

21 minutes ago, bluffton21 said:

If you don't have adequate food and water to completely support yourself without power and water for 2-3 weeks you need to head out. It's too late to prepare. It might not last that long but you're in a world of hurt if it does.

Also, West Ashley is a huge area that ranges from nowhere near the 100 year flood plain to zone V in certain areas closer to the river and James Island. Even then you have areas like Shadowmoss that were not in a flood zone but still had major problems with ponding last fall.

For what it's worth falling trees were a bigger factor than anything during Hugo in West Ashley, so you may want to consider looking up or around in addition to where water might go.

People keep talking about it will be weakened if it makes it to SC and NC. All I know is the only hurricane I experienced was Fran, and it was 115 mph when it hit NC, and only 80 mph when it came through the Triangle, but it did plenty of damage here and at the coast. It doesn't have to be a major hurricane to be bad.

5 minutes ago, bluffton21 said:

No we would if it was mandatory!

For better or worse SC doesn't do "mandatory".  They've told people who are forecast to have the surge, plus 10-12"+ of rain, plus the hurricane force winds to evacuate, but they don't force them, so if they decide to stay, there will not be help until after it's all over, as nobody is going to come help you during the storm.  But because they won't call it mandatory, many people think it's not serious and don't leave.

Archived