Newest Member
    SnowHabit
PTC Matthew

PaEasternWX

• Replies 4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
28 minutes ago, Hugo said:

So apparently word is spreading around SC that all state schools have been ordered closed, an evac of all coastal areas will initiate at noon tomorrow and the forecast is for a Cat 4.  Obviously that last part is a huge red flag that it's BS, but I've gotten probably five texts in the last few minutes all with exactly the same info. These are people in local government and public safety.  They're all saying the source is some conference call. 

I was just told by a friend of mine unless the models shift east, they will start evacuations tomorrow at 3 PM and reverse traffic on the interstates. Haley got burned by the floods in Columbia, She will be overly cautious this time. 

1 minute ago, No snow for you said:

I was just told by a friend of mine unless the models shift east, they will start evacuations tomorrow at 3 PM and reverse traffic on the interstates. Haley got burned by the floods in Columbia, She will be overly cautious this time. 

Haley is meeting with SCEMD now and will have a press conference at 3:00 PM today. 

Emergency managers need to stop with the crying wolf syndrome.  Just because a Day 5 hurricane model shows your location getting hit, doesn't warrant mass panic and evacuation.  The response of "well, you can't be too safe" is a bunk answer.  It makes you looked like a panicked, feckless public official that doesn't have good source information or is capable of making a judgement call.  This only sets our field back (emergency management) further and further with each colossal bust.

I disagree about being too early and calling for evacuations tomorrow afternoon. People need to be told first and foremost that Matthew is taking a track that is the shape of the SE coastline and due to the angle of approach, the forecast will be far more difficult to get correct. People need to be told that there is a huge risk even if they do not get hit. Too much at stake. You can't bust on a forecast when the uncertainty is too great.

A major hurricane approaching from the SE and paralleling the coastline. The forecast even within 24 hours could be in error. The core of the hurricane may pass over hundreds of miles of coastline or it may miss it entirely. Local emergency management can't just wait around to see what's going to verify. Again, too much risk even if higher than normal uncertainty.

3 minutes ago, jojo762 said:

Nevermind that numerous members bring it on shore still. Or so close to the shore that there would be significant impacts inland. 

Exactly.  More members than not make landfall from what I can see, and many show a track similar to the UK.  

Correction: east of 06z slightly.

4 minutes ago, Eskimo Joe said:

That would be the best troll act of a tropical cyclone in the history of the Atlantic basin.  We should rename the storm to "U Mad Bro?" if/when it happens.  

There was a storm in the 90s that literally sat off NC for like a week as a Cat 3 and never came onshore 

Like I said yesterday, we still have no clue what the hell is going to actually happen, aside from that it will get at least relatively close to the US coast. Stop living and dying with each run, catch a clue and realize the models have been like windshield wipers. 

Anyways, thus far, the islands haven't really effected strength much at all... Only impacts appear to be a less pretty/less organized core - which will change in a hurry past Cuba. 

Just now, HillsdaleMIWeather said:

THIS, we have a crap ton of model runs to go, and right now would be a good time to pay attention to what the storms actually doing.

Well I don't think people aren't paying attention. It seems more like the first to call something and get it right "wins", which is not how responsible analysis works.

7 minutes ago, Eskimo Joe said:

That would be the best troll act of a tropical cyclone in the history of the Atlantic basin.  We should rename the storm to "U Mad Bro?" if/when it happens.  

I'm normally just a lurker on here but have to say, this literally made me LOL! 

...now back to your regularly scheduled east/west track debate ;)

• wxmx unpinned this topic

Archived