Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
PTC Matthew

PaEasternWX

5 minutes ago, LakeEffectKing said:

I know what you mean....a major hurricane on 1 model run, missing landfall by dozens of miles... 5 or 6 days out is a real yawner.... :rolleyes:

Only logical explanation is that he's trolling. Not sure what he's expecting. Perhaps a category four hurricane making landfall near Ocean City?

• Replies 4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Just look at the huge differences in the GFS at 144 hours (Sunday morning at 7 am). The GFS has the storm 75 miles east of Cape May, while the Euro is 75 miles south of Cape Hatteras, on its way to the ENE way out to sea. This is why forecasting 5+ days out is so difficult, let alone 2-3 days out. Stay tuned, as I'm sure more changes are to come. And for anyone discounting the Euro, remember Sandy, Joaquin, etc.  Euro was also the only model that got Hermine's Sat/Sun run much further to the east before retrograding correct, which I know a few folks on this board recall bitterly, as they dismissed it at the time.  

42 minutes ago, Jtm12180 said:

Hello. I live in Myrtle Beach...where are you seeing these models? Would love to be able to follow along with what everyone else is looking at. 

I try to not comment and just read, but wanted to ask that. Also, is the media not sharing these things with the public to prevent chaos before it's certain  I guess? Thank you all for your work on here! 

Most local mets have this stuff on Facebook and many have blogs on their respective station's website.  For instance, Ed Piotrowski in Myrtle Beach has a whole rundown on his Facebook page right now and will answer questions.  For anyone not in MB, check out your local mets on social media. Those are the best sources for in-my-backyard kind of information.  Hope that helps. 

2 minutes ago, LoveSN+ said:

Someone I know flew into Haiti just yesterday, against my opinion of course. This will likely be a extreme humanitarian crisis on the island.

Almost definitely. Government officials are expecting mass loss of life, according to TWC. The degree of poverty in Haiti is incomprehensible, and not talked about often. 

5 minutes ago, jojo762 said:

Almost definitely. Government officials are expecting mass loss of life, according to TWC. The degree of poverty in Haiti is incomprehensible, and not talked about often. 

It's actually the poorest country in the entire Western Hemisphere. Not sure how much of a surprise that is to people, but still.

2 minutes ago, Steven_1974 said:

Really hope they got to somewhere safe or decided to go elsewhere at the last minute.

They are staying in a hotel in Port au Prince. I think they should be fine, but if it tracks some 50 miles further east, their could be some troubles.

1 minute ago, WeatherFan202 said:

Apparently North Carolina has declared a state of an emergency. Kind of early don't you think?

That just opens up additional resources to be used if need be...probably not a bad call.  I believe Florida has done so or is in the process of doing so as well.   

1 hour ago, RU848789 said:

Just look at the huge differences in the GFS at 144 hours (Sunday morning at 7 am). The GFS has the storm 75 miles east of Cape May, while the Euro is 75 miles south of Cape Hatteras, on its way to the ENE way out to sea. This is why forecasting 5+ days out is so difficult, let alone 2-3 days out. Stay tuned, as I'm sure more changes are to come. And for anyone discounting the Euro, remember Sandy, Joaquin, etc.  Euro was also the only model that got Hermine's Sat/Sun run much further to the east before retrograding correct, which I know a few folks on this board recall bitterly, as they dismissed it at the time.  

Hard not to ride the Euro here in spite of its on-and-off forecasting of a stall....

Anyone know how well it's done forecasting the WAR which has dominated our summertime pattern over the past few months?  Has it overestimated its strength?  Underestimated?  Done well?

5 minutes ago, lj0109 said:

That just opens up additional resources to be used if need be...probably not a bad call.  I believe Florida has done so or is in the process of doing so as well.   

Also:

"Agriculture Commissioner Steve Troxler asked for the declaration, McCrory said, so farmers could speed up their harvesting in the coming days. The declaration, which covers 66 counties in the central and eastern parts of the state, will lift restrictions on the loads agricultural trucks can carry and the hours they can operate.

"Already, many crops are destroyed due to previous storms and previous floods that we've had during the past 10 days," the governor said. "We don't want to have other crops ruined for the year."

6 minutes ago, NJwx85 said:

Bad news for Haiti, ERC will likely be completed when Mathew makes its closest approach early tomorrow morning.

Yeah, all points to a clean ERC, since shear is relatively low. Bigger eye, shrinking and intensifying prior to LF in extreme W le Tiburon looks like a good bet.

Also, as the inner eye dances inside the outer eyewall, we will probably see trochoidal wobbles.

• wxmx unpinned this topic

Archived