Newest Member
    e46ds1x
Fall+Banter

Ginx snewx

• Replies 2.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, CoastalWx said:

October was warm until the end. I'm sure that's part of it. 

Finished the month +0.9, with only one AN day (30th) since the tropical downpours of 10/22.  The large (20" diam, 80-ft) oak near the house still holds about half its leaves, and none appear to be falling ATM despite the upper teens low this morning.  Of course, rattling oak leaves are always a distraction throughout deer season, so this year is nothing out of the ordinary here.

8 minutes ago, tamarack said:

Finished the month +0.9, with only one AN day (30th) since the tropical downpours of 10/22.  The large (20" diam, 80-ft) oak near the house still holds about half its leaves, and none appear to be falling ATM despite the upper teens low this morning.  Of course, rattling oak leaves are always a distraction throughout deer season, so this year is nothing out of the ordinary here.

BOS with +1.3. The departures really seem mostly driven by the 16-21 where we had some double digit + departures.  That was the only real true torch to be honest. 

Did a quick rundown of low temps for my ASOS/AWOSs this morning. Everyone managed 20s (IZG 19), and my T-24 forecast yesterday even taking the coldest guidance available was still +3.2 degrees on average across the 19 sites. Nailed AUG/WVL/BML/HIE though.

I'm noticing guidance really struggles with EEN (maybe terrain is too detailed to be captured by our grid points?), SFM (that valley definitely can't fit into our grid points), and LCI (I know this one, part of that grid point sticks into Winni and is tainted by the warmer lake temps).

2 hours ago, Damage In Tolland said:

What in the sam hell is wrong with the Oaks this year? They will not drop their leaves. Absolutely loaded with leaves, even with all the wind lately.  Way more than Oct 2011 snow bomb. Gonna be doing leaves with snowpack Thanksgiving week,

Lol Oaks drop in Novie usually? meanwhile its stick season at my house already, oaks had no chance this year

45 minutes ago, OceanStWx said:

Did a quick rundown of low temps for my ASOS/AWOSs this morning. Everyone managed 20s (IZG 19), and my T-24 forecast yesterday even taking the coldest guidance available was still +3.2 degrees on average across the 19 sites. Nailed AUG/WVL/BML/HIE though.

I'm noticing guidance really struggles with EEN (maybe terrain is too detailed to be captured by our grid points?), SFM (that valley definitely can't fit into our grid points), and LCI (I know this one, part of that grid point sticks into Winni and is tainted by the warmer lake temps).

I've noticed those NH AWOS sites running colder than they had been since the upgrade. Was there a hardware change too?

1 minute ago, dendrite said:

lol...

SLK 18
BML 20
HIE 21

I was going to say, colder than any site in the Northeast. With that unshielded thermometer it might as well be reporting temps from the dark side of the moon. 

To find another morning low of 16 you need to head to Newfoundland or north of the Canadian Prairies according the WPC max/min map. 

6 minutes ago, OceanStWx said:

I was going to say, colder than any site in the Northeast. With that unshielded thermometer it might as well be reporting temps from the dark side of the moon. 

To find another morning low of 16 you need to head to Newfoundland or north of the Canadian Prairies according the WPC max/min map. 

Every weenie wants their backyard to be the most special place.

9 minutes ago, Ginx snewx said:

A good example why global warming was a bad term. A warmer planet does not necessarily mean warmer for all regions. 

Not too surprising though, given we've had some very long ends to winter recently. So what's the tally now? October and November winter months, December is a too close to call, and Jan-Mar back to winter.

11 minutes ago, Ginx snewx said:

I thought 2012 was supposed to be the "new normal" after that year...I can't keep up.

3 minutes ago, OceanStWx said:

A good example why global warming was a bad term. A warmer planet does not necessarily mean warmer for all regions. 

Not too surprising though, given we've had some very long ends to winter recently. So what's the tally now? October and November winter months, December is a too close to call, and Jan-Mar back to winter.

December is now a Fall month. 

Archived