• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Aug Banter Thread

H2O

Mattie G's story got me thinking.  The last time I was stung was in 7th grade shop class, in the fall of 1982.  I'm a bit of a bee-phobe, but it's hard to believe you could go 34 years w/o being stung.  Then, it's also hard to believe 34 years have gone by.....

The shop-sting story is kinda funny.  I was sitting at my desk and felt something land on the top of my head.  I assumed I was hit with a spit-ball by one of my friends behind me.  So, I whacked at it with the eraser of my pencil to get it out of my hair.  Feeling it still there, I whacked it again.  Still unable to clear it from my hair, I went to brush it with my hand and got drilled on my index finger.   I let out a yelp and proceeded to almost give myself a concussion beating my own skull with my hand.  I discovered what was left of the yellow jacket on the floor when I jumped out of my desk.  The class got a good laugh and I got a trip to the nurse's office.

• Replies 222
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, MiddleRvrwx said:

That sucks!  I'd  point out a couple funny realizations my SO discovered about being unable to use his dominant arm, but won't.

His quote "it's like being marooned with a bad date."  

Start increasing your intake of Calcium & Vitamin D. And hopefully you'll heal quickly!

LOL!

5 hours ago, mattie g said:

In other "injury" news, yesterday I got stung by a bee for the first time since I was a kid.

I was out mowing the lawn, and I thought one of my inside-thigh leg hairs got pulled. Then I felt it on the other leg and thought "S**t...I just got stung!" This was nearly confirmed when I swatted a bee that was aiming for my grill and then ran away like a little girl. I look at the affected area confirmed two stings, then a third that I hadn't even felt - all on the insides of my thighs. And they itch like a mofo today!

It's interesting that I got whacked because I'd been thinking about it quite a bit this summer. I've seen a ton more bees this year than I can remember, so I'd been slightly concerned about my daughter getting stung. Stings used to happen to me (and my siblings and friends) as a kid all the time because we'd run around on clover-filled lawns in bare feet all summer long, but I hadn't heard of any local kids or nephews/nieces getting stung recently. I guess it's partly to do with the decline in the bee population, as well as the general improvement in lawn care and the associated lawn weed reduction in the last 20 or so years. And since I've got more clover on my lawn than I care to admit (as does our neighbors' lawn), the bees have been using our place like a fast food joint!

Thanks for well wishes folks, still 'adjusting' to the newness of being a leftie. Actually, I got nailed 4 times by hornets walking on Wednesday last week (not a good health week for me lol), if that had been my wife years ago she'd been in BIG trouble, she was highly allergic to them and carried an 'eppy pen' with her about 9 months of the year. BTW, they WILL chase or follow you, I had to run a good 1/4 mile or more before I got out of them. First two nailed me right on head, felt like someone threw rocks at me, then I saw the third one land on arm and took off, still got zapped on back of neck before clearing them......dirty rascals!

10 hours ago, mattie g said:

In other "injury" news, yesterday I got stung by a bee for the first time since I was a kid.

I was out mowing the lawn, and I thought one of my inside-thigh leg hairs got pulled. Then I felt it on the other leg and thought "S**t...I just got stung!" This was nearly confirmed when I swatted a bee that was aiming for my grill and then ran away like a little girl. I look at the affected area confirmed two stings, then a third that I hadn't even felt - all on the insides of my thighs. And they itch like a mofo today!

It's interesting that I got whacked because I'd been thinking about it quite a bit this summer. I've seen a ton more bees this year than I can remember, so I'd been slightly concerned about my daughter getting stung. Stings used to happen to me (and my siblings and friends) as a kid all the time because we'd run around on clover-filled lawns in bare feet all summer long, but I hadn't heard of any local kids or nephews/nieces getting stung recently. I guess it's partly to do with the decline in the bee population, as well as the general improvement in lawn care and the associated lawn weed reduction in the last 20 or so years. And since I've got more clover on my lawn than I care to admit (as does our neighbors' lawn), the bees have been using our place like a fast food joint!

I got stung on the toe a few days ago.  I was wearing sandals in my yard and it flew in between my toe and sandal as I took a step.  Then when I put my foot down, it stung me right on the bottom pad of my toe.   

I have clovers in the back yard since I don't treat the grass back there having dogs. I wear closed shoes and sweats when I pick up the dog poop. The bottoms of the legs are loose. A bee from a cloverfield flew right up and zapped me on the calf. Had no idea until I felt a bite. Smacked my leg thinking it was something, but not a bee. Took the sweats off minutes later when finished and a crushed bee fell out. I smushed it into the material. Then saw the lump and then my brain transferred the pain to my leg. Bees, wasps, hornets, yellow jackets etc SUCK.

ah bee sting stories.  We are now going into prime yellow jacket season.  Those are my arch enemy.  Ground nests that you dont' discover until its too late.  That's happened more than once while at work.  Been stung plenty of times.  Got stung 3 times one day and the bastard followed me back to the truck a distance of over 500 ft.  Thankfully not allergic...yet.  all it takes is one time for that switch to flip.

Sorry to all y'all recently nailed.  Its no fun and the itching after is ridic.

btw, as a kid I got stung 22 times by bumblebees after being the last in line walking along a trail.  Everyone had already walked by the nest that was disturbed by one hiker.  That was not so fun.

1 hour ago, H2O said:

ah bee sting stories.  We are now going into prime yellow jacket season.  Those are my arch enemy.  Ground nests that you dont' discover until its too late.  That's happened more than once while at work.  Been stung plenty of times.  Got stung 3 times one day and the bastard followed me back to the truck a distance of over 500 ft.  Thankfully not allergic...yet.  all it takes is one time for that switch to flip.

btw, as a kid I got stung 22 times by bumblebees after being the last in line walking along a trail.  Everyone had already walked by the nest that was disturbed by one hiker.  That was not so fun.

Yep, it ALWAYS is the last in line that gets it. 22 times, that could have been REALLY ugly if you'd been allergic.

On 8/9/2016 at 6:58 AM, H2O said:

I was stung for the first time in several years after running over a nest with a lawn mower a couple years ago.  Not fun, but thankfully I was able to skedaddle before being stung more than twice.

28 minutes ago, mattie g said:

That "Anomalous DC Anomalies" thread...what are people arguing about anyways?

For years and years and years Tenman has been arguing that DCA is biased upwards in some global warming conspiracy.  Finally in 2014/15 the data showed that DCA had diverged from the other local sites and when LWX finally got around to investigating, the sensor was running high.  So, Tenman takes that info and decides that his years (decades) of complaints about DCA are all validated. 

59 minutes ago, MN Transplant said:

For years and years and years Tenman has been arguing that DCA is biased upwards in some global warming conspiracy.  Finally in 2014/15 the data showed that DCA had diverged from the other local sites and when LWX finally got around to investigating, the sensor was running high.  So, Tenman takes that info and decides that his years (decades) of complaints about DCA are all validated. 

Gotcha.

I honestly couldn't figure out what was really going on, and why certain individuals were hellbent on pounding and puffing out their chests. It's all a little weird (to me at least B)).

1. I don't like bees/wasps/hornets/flying things. I know they are good for us, but right now I have some sort of black wasp/bee with a single white ring on the rear in my yard. They look really mad and are building something in the base of one of my trees. 

2. Does anyone have a recommendation for a decent weather station? Thinking about getting one for my birthday. 

3. 3 showers in one day, it is hot outside. I'm glad I cut my grass at 7am. 

• H2O unpinned this topic

Archived