SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Aug Banter Thread

H2O

• Replies 222
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You "kids" don't know how good (or bad, depending on how you look at it) you have it with the internet.

I remember having email explained to me as a college freshman in 1994.  And trying to remember ESPN's first URL to type it in when I got to the computer lab (espnnet.sportszone.com, and it took me a few tries to get it right.  Why I didn't just write it down, I have no idea)

They had it replace TWC on work tv for a while and I almost quit my job.

I understand the criticism for TWC but god if I don't miss it. I know I was young for many of the good severe outbreaks. (2011, Moore 2013) but it's coverage was pretty great. And I'll miss the tropics on the 50 when this season (hopefully) gets going.

1 hour ago, smokeybandit said:

You "kids" don't know how good (or bad, depending on how you look at it) you have it with the internet.

I remember having email explained to me as a college freshman in 1994.  And trying to remember ESPN's first URL to type it in when I got to the computer lab (espnnet.sportszone.com, and it took me a few tries to get it right.  Why I didn't just write it down, I have no idea)

I remember playing fantasy baseball, and having to wait for the Sunday newspaper from Minneapolis to get the full stats.  Our local paper just had the daily box scores.

First thing I remember looking up online was song lyrics.  My favorite album was (and probably still is) Siamese Dream by the Smashing Pumpkins.  But I had the "clean" copy of the CD package which didn't include the lyric booklet.  Hell if I know what Billy was saying half the time.

1 minute ago, MN Transplant said:

I remember playing fantasy baseball, and having to wait for the Sunday newspaper from Minneapolis to get the full stats.  Our local paper just had the daily box scores.

First thing I remember looking up online was song lyrics.  My favorite album was (and probably still is) Siamese Dream by the Smashing Pumpkins.  But I had the "clean" copy of the CD package which didn't include the lyric booklet.  Hell if I know what Billy was saying half the time.

Lol.  Your post reminds me of when I use to play NFL "Pick 'Em" in the Washington Star each week.  In order to play, you had to actually cut the game piece out of the newspaper like a coupon and tape it to the outside of a sealed envelope and then send it in.  I had no idea that game was still around until I just googled it.

6 hours ago, UIWWildthing said:

Yeah, that or west central PA entered an ice age.

Sorta like the weather bug site that went loopy here back in October reading 115 every afternoon until they took it offline.

1 hour ago, mappy said:

while i know it is the Canadian, and its a long ways out -- no hurricane next week please! hosting my sisters bridal shower at my house saturday. need nice weather! 

Well, that trip with my son and friends to King's Dominion that I canceled due to bad weather back in June we all re-set to Sunday Aug. 28, so, yeah, can probably expect a hurricane that day, yes.

Went to a release at Aslin Beer Company yesterday. Never done that before, and while waiting in the sun in a blacktop parking lot for 45 minutes sucked, the beer was phenomenal. When you can drink a 12.4% IIIPA and not realize that it's kicking your azz, you know you've found a good beer! :lol:

Now I'm inspired to try brewing a NE IPA this fall...

20 minutes ago, mattie g said:

Went to a release at Aslin Beer Company yesterday. Never done that before, and while waiting in the sun in a blacktop parking lot for 45 minutes sucked, the beer was phenomenal. When you can drink a 12.4% IIIPA and not realize that it's kicking your azz, you know you've found a good beer! :lol:

Now I'm inspired to try brewing a NE IPA this fall...

We are going to brew our Pumpkin beer next weekend.  It's ridiculous that there are pumpkin beers already in the stores.

7 hours ago, nw baltimore wx said:

We are going to brew our Pumpkin beer next weekend.  It's ridiculous that there are pumpkin beers already in the stores.

Yeah...I was seeing them a few weeks ago! And Halloween candy. Unreal.

Do you brew a pumpkin every year? I did one last year and it was really good, but I decided against it this year. I took a many-months-long brewing break this spring, so I want to get in some of my more favored beers. I have two bombers left over from last year's batch, so I'll crack them at the end of October. I'll brew one again next year.

The beers at Aslin were silly good. Pillowy, creamy, fruity (no fruit) IPAs. Very little relative bitterness, which was nice. Their Berliner Weisse was fantastic, too!

4 hours ago, mattie g said:

Yeah...I was seeing them a few weeks ago! And Halloween candy. Unreal.

Do you brew a pumpkin every year? I did one last year and it was really good, but I decided against it this year. I took a many-months-long brewing break this spring, so I want to get in some of my more favored beers. I have two bombers left over from last year's batch, so I'll crack them at the end of October. I'll brew one again next year.

The beers at Aslin were silly good. Pillowy, creamy, fruity (no fruit) IPAs. Very little relative bitterness, which was nice. Their Berliner Weisse was fantastic, too!

Yeah, we do brew a pumpkin beer each year and every year we tweak it a little. I still haven't gotten it to where it's a "go to" recipe but I have faith this year. The big key for me is to not overpower it with spice. I like it to be subtle. And this year we are adding some more malts to give it more body. I'll let you know how it turns out.

I've never been to Aslin, but we enjoy making day trips to new breweries.  Where are they?

9 hours ago, nw baltimore wx said:

Yeah, we do brew a pumpkin beer each year and every year we tweak it a little. I still haven't gotten it to where it's a "go to" recipe but I have faith this year. The big key for me is to not overpower it with spice. I like it to be subtle. And this year we are adding some more malts to give it more body. I'll let you know how it turns out.

I've never been to Aslin, but we enjoy making day trips to new breweries.  Where are they?

I'm with you on the pumpkin (spice) beers. Some people like spice-forward and thinner, but for me a fall spiced beer needs some real malt backbone and good body. Good luck with it!

Aslin is in a little strip mall in Herndon - right by the Fairfax County Parkway/Dulles Toll Road interchange near the W&OD trail. Their releases are really popular, so if you're looking to bring home a crowler you need to get there early, as they only have 250 crowlers of each beer available (each person gets to purchase two of each). The other thing is that they often sell out of their more popular beers at the bar, and don't always tap a new beer to replace it (they sell pretty much everything very fresh), but they're open all day as long as beer is available to be tapped. And it's a tiny place, so capacity is probably about 50-60 people.

The nice thing about making a trip to breweries down here is that there are a lot in a fairly small area, so you can always hit a couple if you want to make an afternoon out of it.

• H2O unpinned this topic

Archived