Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Friday Soaking

CT Rain

1 hour ago, Damage In Tolland said:

You know better than that. Pattern persistence is the way to forecast each of these events.. Which is s south trend the last 36 hours. It's happened every freaking time we've seen events like this modeled the last 4 months . Something is causing this. Who knows what.. But it sucks 

I do feel you.  That's exactly what we all in NNE said every event last winter (even the NWS threw in the follow persistence and toss any model showing snow) but in this case it's rain for you and not snow.

Sort of like you'll believe it when it's actually raining, lol.

• Replies 199
  • Created
  • Last Reply
21 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

I do feel you.  That's exactly what we all in NNE said every event last winter (even the NWS threw in the follow persistence and toss any model showing snow) but in this case it's rain for you and not snow.

Sort of like you'll believe it when it's actually raining, lol.

The tv guys and NWS are going big big rains..I just don't see how the confidence is there for that. There's so much that can go wrong. In the winter they'd be looking for ways..

7 minutes ago, Damage In Tolland said:

The tv guys and NWS are going big big rains..I just don't see how the confidence is there for that. There's so much that can go wrong. In the winter they'd be looking for ways..

Since when does a winter storm watch mean going big snow? Likewise, a flash flood watch doesn't mean going big rains. It just means there is the potential.

16 minutes ago, Damage In Tolland said:

Seems like everyone is mentioning the caution flags. Not sure what you're looking at. 

One of the big keys (or indicators for the heavy rain potential) is the projected strength of the LLJ.  Both the NAM and GFS indicate winds at 925mb strengthening to >35 knots as the 925 low starts to develop.  These >35 knots winds from the SE throwing in copious amounts of moisture into some pretty strong is entropic lift.  Both models have PWATS as high as 2.30" to 2.40" which is pretty damn high.  I could see a jackpot swath of 4-5" of rain tomorrow.  

As for convective/tornado potential...definitely the best threat is NW NJ into NYC region into Long Island.  Typically in these setups the warm front will typically stall just to the north of the CT coast which places Long Island and points south in the true warm sector which will be characterized by low to mid 70 dews.  Some models showing 600-800 J of MLcape is also quite impressive if convection can tap into that given the degree of low-level shear.

I think you are over-selling the negatives...there's really not much that can go wrong per se, just the placement of the moisture axis.  It's not like trying to get a Miller B get its act together before exiting east in the winter.

Wish you were this cautious in the winter, lol.

38 minutes ago, Damage In Tolland said:

It does? It looks like you can see what the fear was of the storms evolving into MCS taking all the good stuff south . 

Man you are traumatized ;).  Hopefully you get like 1.5" of rain...sort of like next winter when NNE posters poo poo every storm but then get a 15" dump.

You know convective rains are more localized than models show, but I still believe large areas of CT/RI/SE MA have 1"+....more scattered north of the pike as has always been modeled.   This time of year with this low level moisture, all you need is a good hour of rain to get 0.5"+.  Today I picked up 0.27" in 12 minutes.

14 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

Man you are traumatized ;).  Hopefully you get like 1.5" of rain...sort of like next winter when NNE posters poo poo every storm but then get a 15" dump.

You know convective rains are more localized than models show, but I still believe large areas of CT/RI/SE MA have 1"+....more scattered north of the pike as has always been modeled.   This time of year with this low level moisture, all you need is a good hour of rain to get 0.5"+.  Today I picked up 0.27" in 12 minutes.

seemed to have dried out a little tonight 

A good chunk of CT will see between 0.5" and 1.5" of rainfall with this.  The >1.5" amouts will be confined to localized areas perhaps having convective influences.  In fact, I bet we see some locations get 3-4" of rainfall.

A strengthening llvl jet from the SE overriding a warm front with near 70 dews and > 2" PWATS is not going to go unscathed without some decent rains 

The Scooter rule wins again. We all lose

As far as I can tell, rain seems to be covering a large portion of SNE.  How is that losing?  Is this the old "someone else is getting more than me so I'm losing" argument?  That's the argument that codfishman uses in the winter because someone around him had more snow.

It appears to me that we have several more hours of rain coming so I don't see how that is a complete miss or that we are "losing".

Archived