joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Friday Soaking

CT Rain

• Replies 199
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The 12z Wednesday Euro gave HFD 4.2 inches of rain. That's when a lot of folks started going nuts about epic rains. By 00z the south shift started in earnest , but then the gefs and Eps gave high probs, so mets still went nuts. This has happened so many times the last 4-5 months. Something is causing these odd south trends . It's mostly due to convective errors as we surmised a couple days back 

32 minutes ago, Damage In Tolland said:

The 12z Wednesday Euro gave HFD 4.2 inches of rain. That's when a lot of folks started going nuts about epic rains. By 00z the south shift started in earnest , but then the gefs and Eps gave high probs, so mets still went nuts. This has happened so many times the last 4-5 months. Something is causing these odd south trends . It's mostly due to convective errors as we surmised a couple days back 

Well last nights Euro has 2-4" of rain later this weekend up here in NNE.  With the south trend you guys down there should be all set!

1 hour ago, Damage In Tolland said:

I haven't noticed any south trends up here haha.  To me it seems like they trend north with time up here.

You are in full NNE winter mode...follow persistence.  It may never rain (snow) again.  I know most mets hate following persistence but there often is something to it.  When in a rut, you're in it until you're not (haha).

Well guys the good news is that after this fail there is still hope.  Euro has been forecasting a good soak for much of New England Sunday/Monday.  Indicating a good 2-4" for much of Central/NNE and another jackpot for Connecticut.  E Mass and further east into Maine gets less but still over .50".   I'll believe it when I see it but its only 48 hours out so we should get something meaningful out of it even if its not the crazy high amounts for some of us.

Well guys the good news is that after this fail there is still hope.  Euro has been forecasting a good soak for much of New England Sunday/Monday.  Indicating a good 2-4" for much of Central/NNE and another jackpot for Connecticut.  E Mass and further east into Maine gets less but still over .50".   I'll believe it when I see it but its only 48 hours out so we should get something meaningful out of it even if its not the crazy high amounts for some of us.

30 minutes ago, wxeyeNH said:

I'd toss all that. It's just convection. And mostly WNE

30 minutes ago, wxeyeNH said:

I'd toss all that. It's just convection. And mostly WNE

There are valid, scientific reasons (beyond persistence) why convection would err south. Where's the largest CAPE likely to be? Where it's hotter and more humid, or south.

However, for the same reasons modeling can often err too far south with convection, as it runs it into the CAPE max rather than the gradients.

3 minutes ago, OceanStWx said:

There are valid, scientific reasons (beyond persistence) why convection would err south. Where's the largest CAPE likely to be? Where it's hotter and more humid, or south.

However, for the same reasons modeling can often err too far south with convection, as it runs it into the CAPE max rather than the gradients.

I think part of the issue here was that the low the models were developing (even the globals) was really tied to the convection. As that convection formed way south it effectively prevented that strong LLJ and front from setting up over the South Coast. It seems that it's not a "moisture being robbed issue" but that the front/LLJ wound up about 150 miles south than GEFS/EPS had. 

Compare 00z Friday and 00z Thursday 850mb height/wind speed on the op Euro for 12z/18z Friday.

2 minutes ago, CT Rain said:

I think part of the issue here was that the low the models were developing (even the globals) was really tied to the convection. As that convection formed way south it effectively prevented that strong LLJ and front from setting up over the South Coast. It seems that it's not a "moisture being robbed issue" but that the front/LLJ wound up about 150 miles south than GEFS/EPS had. 

Compare 00z Friday and 00z Thursday 850mb height/wind speed on the op Euro for 12z/18z Friday.

Nice preview of winter for SNE? :devilsmiley:

Just now, OceanStWx said:

Nice preview of winter for SNE? :devilsmiley:

It happened enough last winter!

I will say the 4km NAM/WRFs are getting better and better. They've lead the way a few times... including last winter. Seeing the high res stuff pull the plug at 12z yesterday even though the lower res globals were still bullish was a big caution flag. 

Meanwhile, not to sound like Cliff Mass, but our ensemble capability in the US absolutely blows.

gefs.png

4 minutes ago, CT Rain said:

It happened enough last winter!

I will say the 4km NAM/WRFs are getting better and better. They've lead the way a few times... including last winter. Seeing the high res stuff pull the plug at 12z yesterday even though the lower res globals were still bullish was a big caution flag. 

Meanwhile, not to sound like Cliff Mass, but our ensemble capability in the US absolutely blows.

We've at least got some new tools that seem to have promise.

NCAR ensembles got decidedly more bearish (and they weren't even enthusiastic to begin with) from 00z Thu to 00z Fri.

precipacc_mean_f048_NE.png

precipacc_mean_f024_NE.png

1 minute ago, OceanStWx said:

We've at least got some new tools that seem to have promise.

NCAR ensembles got decidedly more bearish (and they weren't even enthusiastic to begin with) from 00z Thu to 00z Fri.

precipacc_mean_f048_NE.png

precipacc_mean_f024_NE.png

Definitely better... though by the time the 00z Friday run came out it was pretty clear it was already game over.

Our in-house WRF and the SUNY Stony Brook WRF had a nice handle on things aftrer some initially bullish predictions they backed off big time Thursday. It's really hard to figure out when the high res stuff is catching on to reality or just out to lunch lol.

4 minutes ago, CT Rain said:

Definitely better... though by the time the 00z Friday run came out it was pretty clear it was already game over.

Our in-house WRF and the SUNY Stony Brook WRF had a nice handle on things aftrer some initially bullish predictions they backed off big time Thursday. It's really hard to figure out when the high res stuff is catching on to reality or just out to lunch lol.

That's why I'm definitely an advocate more of the ensemble approach with the hi-res stuff, especially when it comes to accumulated products. I mean the HRRR runs so frequently, and changes so often that an ensemble can really show you how things are changing hour by hour. And that NCAR ensemble really needs to be run at 12z too.

Archived