Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
July pattern discussion

Typhoon Tip

47 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

Yeah not in the northern half of New England.  It's still below normal to date.  June and July have been two of the most comfortable summer months recently.

Like Tamarack, the local MVL ASOS is -0.7 on the month through the 25th.

13 days below average.

11 days above average.

1 day exactly average.

If that's not a memorable torch I'm not sure what is.

We don't live there

• Replies 772
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Of course you don't.  You live in the world where a good two week stretch of warm to hot weather equals the whole summer; where cooler than normal weather makes you think old-mannish thoughts, CoC k, and not fitting in; where if anyone objects to your hyperbole, you start putting words in their mouth and come up with sophomoric insults.

47 minutes ago, Damage In Tolland said:

We don't live there

Glad we cleared that up.  Your earlier posts didn't specify.  Just made it seem like New England was seeing its hottest July ever, when as a 6-state region this summer will likely be middle of the pack and overall boring from a stats point of view.

Where you do live, in NE CT, appears to be enjoying a slightly warmer than normal July with 0 to +1 departures.

MonthTDeptNRCC.png

17 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

Glad we cleared that up.  Your earlier posts didn't specify.  Just made it seem like New England was seeing its hottest July ever, when as a 6-state region this summer will likely be middle of the pack and overall boring from a stats point of view.

Where you do live, in NE CT, appears to be enjoying a slightly warmer than normal July with 0 to +1 departures.

MonthTDeptNRCC.png

Well, just to his SE, BDL is about +2.2 thru 7/25.  Of course, the idea that "one day" is keeping that site from being +3.5 (or warmer) would mean that "one day" had temps something like 48/34, and half the gardens in CT got scorched.  :lol:

That dot of +3 centered on BGR again notes that something is odd in the Queen City.  Once more today, they had the hottest temp in Maine, and appear to have eclipsed SFM and IZG as the heat pole of the state.  Something's fishy, IMO.

2 hours ago, powderfreak said:

Yeah not in the northern half of New England.  It's still below normal to date.  June and July have been two of the most comfortable summer months recently.

Like Tamarack, the local MVL ASOS is -0.7 on the month through the 25th.

13 days below average.

11 days above average.

1 day exactly average.

If that's not a memorable torch I'm not sure what is.

1 hour ago, Damage In Tolland said:

We don't live there

Well, near where you do live, I've recorded the following since 7/1:

14 Days above average

11 days below average

1 day exactly average

I'm running 0.5° above normal and this July is not even ranking in the 10 warmest July's since 1985. 

It's ranking #17 in terms of warmest so ironically, it's closer to being in the top 10 coolest than warmest (OK, it's ranked #16 coolest but it is closer).

39 minutes ago, tamarack said:

Well, just to his SE, BDL is about +2.2 thru 7/25.  Of course, the idea that "one day" is keeping that site from being +3.5 (or warmer) would mean that "one day" had temps something like 48/34, and half the gardens in CT got scorched.  :lol:

That dot of +3 centered on BGR again notes that something is odd in the Queen City.  Once more today, they had the hottest temp in Maine, and appear to have eclipsed SFM and IZG as the heat pole of the state.  Something's fishy, IMO.

Yep...good catch,

BGR has officially gone unhinged....been off the rails since about May 1st is looks like. So basically the past 3 months of temp data from BGR are pure bunk:

KBGR_MADIS.png

5 minutes ago, MetHerb said:

Well, near where you do live, I've recorded the following since 7/1:

14 Days above average

11 days below average

1 day exactly average

I'm running 0.5° above normal and this July is not even ranking in the 10 warmest July's since 1985. 

It's ranking #17 in terms of warmest so ironically, it's closer to being in the top 10 coolest than warmest (OK, it's ranked #16 coolest but it is closer).

Yeah and that is where he lives...a slight nod to the above normal side but nothing there is earth-shattering.

Certainly not a July that people will be "talking about for years to come"....

1 hour ago, powderfreak said:

MonthTDeptNRCC.png

as the old adage goes, 'don't let statistic fact get in the way of argument'

9 minutes ago, Damage In Tolland said:

This place man. The cold biases are nauseating. Not even fun anymore 

Calling a warm pattern warm and not historic or "memorable" isn't worthy of cold bias designation. 

Sometimes the facts don't support a narrative. You're going to get stats on a science forum. 

26 minutes ago, Damage In Tolland said:

This place man. The cold biases are nauseating. Not even fun anymore 

What are you talking about?  

Every single person who responded to your hyperbole provided facts about where they live and how the stats don't support us remembering this July as a special month of heat.

Again this isn't a cold bias, there are NNE spots that are below normal.  That's a fact.  MetHerb has a ton of historical data for your area and he's +0.5....and split equally in the middle of the rest of his July months. That's a fact too.  

Congrats BDL though, it's been hot there.  That's also a fact.

19 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

Calling a warm pattern warm and not historic or "memorable" isn't worthy of cold bias designation. 

Sometimes the facts don't support a narrative. You're going to get stats on a science forum. 

Being presented with a bunch of stats makes this place no fun anymore.  

Science fields are filled with numbers people...and unfortunately science data can be fairly cut and dry.  If MetHerb says this is his 16th warmest July out of 30 years or something, it is what it is.

We have had much warmer July's in the past decade region wide, which can also be shown by stats.

7 hours ago, ORH_wxman said:

BDL is currently having their 16th warmest July to date...out of 68 years. Definitely warm, but I would not classify something in the 75th percentile as "special"....typical Kevin hyperbole. Perhaps they move up a few spots before the end of the month/

No question it's been a hot stretch but man Kevin is just making stuff up. At 16th warmest (especially considering how things have warmed over the last couple decades) that's pretty much a non-story. No one is going to remember that.

I live in pretty close to the warmest part of the state and have survived just fine with a bedroom a/c on for about 8 hours a day. I can recall much more uncomfortable stretches and months.

Kevin lives in an alternate universe. This isn't exactly breaking news. 

The point is that it's the hottest part of summer now and yes it has been ugly out in the Fri- Mon time frame. But once again as been the real theme of this summer, fronts are passing through and dropping dews. Today felt comfortable in the shade with a nice breeze and 86/60 max this afternoon IMBY. Tomorrow will be another comfortable dew day  followed by the obligatory July/Aug humid day ahead of the next system at the end of the week which looks to cool things down to the low to mid 80s from the weekend into next week. So far, to say this summer is recognized for big heat is like saying last winter would have been thought of as cold if we had a 10 day stretch in Jan with highs in the low 20's. Not exactly torchy ........

Friday
Showers likely and possibly a thunderstorm. Mostly cloudy, with a high near 81. Chance of precipitation is 60%. New rainfall amounts between a quarter and half of an inch possible.
Friday Night
A 40 percent chance of showers. Mostly cloudy, with a low around 67.
Saturday
Partly sunny, with a high near 82.
Saturday Night
A 30 percent chance of showers. Mostly cloudy, with a low around 67.
Sunday
A 30 percent chance of showers. Partly sunny, with a high near 82.
Sunday Night
A 30 percent chance of showers and thunderstorms. Mostly cloudy, with a low around 65.
Monday
Mostly sunny, with a high near 82.
Monday Night
Partly cloudy, with a low around 64.
Tuesday
Mostly sunny, with a high near 83

18 hours ago, Michael05192016 said:

Let's talk about the upcoming 4-5 day Atlantic mP vomit pattern. It will be misery drizzle and 60's. Enjoy the fleeting heat. SUNDAY through Wednesday could downright suck!!!!

Why would it be that cool and who is showing that?

8 minutes ago, weathafella said:

Probably for a week at least.  I doubt BOS makes it today with the onshore zephyr but we'll see.

Pretty amazing yesterday when the wind switched to Northerly on the beach, some 10 degrees warmer than inland. Low 90s at 7pm while inland was in the 80s. Probably the best beach vacation I ever had complete with some great surf days. Spectacular weather with inland Tstoms watching from afar. Seems to me a pattern similar to early July with rapid changes is imminent. Also seems a wetter turn. I would not be surprised if we are watching the tropics pretty closely by mid August if the SAL gets washed out.

6 minutes ago, J Paul Gordon said:

Been an absolutely beautiful summer in Kennebunkport-Wells, Maine if you are like to bicycle and swim. Yup, rain is needed, but I can't complain about the recreational side of things. Even constant applications of that 50SFP sunscreen can't stop me from getting way too dark for an Irish guy

We tan

fyi and fwiw there is still another heat signal for the ~ D7 -11 time range.  it's moved closer since it emerged a few clicks ago, but it's behaving in the runs the way all the heat has this summer ... as though it is being fought against - just when one frame looks like it's going to bulge... it just somehow doesn't.  funny how we've still managed an extended heat wave here - i guess the observation fits more with what has taken place June 1 through July 15 rather than since then. 

nevertheless, this summer's crept back into respectability for heat and recent convection.  it's rescued from F to C-   ... got a ways to go obviously.

btw, CV season may get under way here over the next couple few days. 

Archived