joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
July pattern discussion

Typhoon Tip

• Replies 772
  • Created
  • Last Reply

No doubt, people will be talking about July for years to come.  Remember that July of smoking hot AN?  It was a ridiculous +2.1 at Boston, +2.2 at Hartford, +1.9 at Providence, and +1.4 at Worcester.  Man, we couldn't even go outside to breathe.

1 hour ago, ApacheTrout said:

No doubt, people will be talking about July for years to come.  Remember that July of smoking hot AN?  It was a ridiculous +2.1 at Boston, +2.2 at Hartford, +1.9 at Providence, and +1.4 at Worcester.  Man, we couldn't even go outside to breathe.

GYX currently at +1.3 for July, CAR at +0.7, WVL -1.3.  I'm 0.6F below my 18-yr avg, will finish the month within 0.5F of that avg, probably AN.

2 hours ago, ApacheTrout said:

Yeah you're right..this isn't memorable or record breaking. Just a Coc k summer.  

By Thursday we mostly likely will have seen 15 days >= 90F this July. The record is 16 days set back in 1955 and 1966.

53 minutes ago, tamarack said:

GYX currently at +1.3 for July, CAR at +0.7, WVL -1.3.  I'm 0.6F below my 18-yr avg, will finish the month within 0.5F of that avg, probably AN.

With my new hyperbolic outlook on weather, I'd say you're having a memorably hot summer, too.  Blazing hot, in fact.

46 minutes ago, Damage In Tolland said:

Yeah you're right..this isn't memorable or record breaking. Just a Coc k summer.  

By Thursday we mostly likely will have seen 15 days >= 90F this July. The record is 16 days set back in 1955 and 1966.

BDL will probably finish July about +2.5, a significant departure for the warmest month of the year.  However, it will be less warm than 1955 and maybe a couple tenths above 1966, while falling nearly 2F below 2013.  July 2016 will finish with 2 or 3 minima 70+.  2013 had 17.  Yes, this July has had some hot afternoons in SNE (less so for NNE, compared to climo) but considerably fewer super-dew days than previous periods.  Take the first half of August, 1988, when BPL averaged 93/71 over 15 days, with 10 minima between 73 and 77.  7/16 is AN but not extraordinary, compared to a number of earlier summers.

(And if July 1955 gets tied for 90+ days, will August 1955 follow, when Connie dumped 4" and Diane 14"?)

32 minutes ago, tamarack said:

BDL will probably finish July about +2.5, a significant departure for the warmest month of the year.  However, it will be less warm than 1955 and maybe a couple tenths above 1966, while falling nearly 2F below 2013.  July 2016 will finish with 2 or 3 minima 70+.  2013 had 17.  Yes, this July has had some hot afternoons in SNE (less so for NNE, compared to climo) but considerably fewer super-dew days than previous periods.  Take the first half of August, 1988, when BPL averaged 93/71 over 15 days, with 10 minima between 73 and 77.  7/16 is AN but not extraordinary, compared to a number of earlier summers.

(And if July 1955 gets tied for 90+ days, will August 1955 follow, when Connie dumped 4" and Diane 14"?)

BDL is currently having their 16th warmest July to date...out of 68 years. Definitely warm, but I would not classify something in the 75th percentile as "special"....typical Kevin hyperbole. Perhaps they move up a few spots before the end of the month.

ORH is currently 19th warmest to date (since 1948). Again, pretty run of the mill warm departure. It's actually pretty "meh" for recent Julys. Every July from 2010-2013 plus last July was warmer to date than this one was. At least we hit 90 twice this month though which is 2 more than last year.

28 minutes ago, HoarfrostHubb said:

For ORH July 1-12 was -1.08F I think

July 13-25 was +4.46F if I'm doing it right

At my place, 10 of the 1st 12 days were BN, and the avg -3.1.  Then 10 of the next 13 were AN, avg +1.8.  That first spell included the "all 50s" weekend on the 9th and 10th, which were -9 and -10.  Biggest positive departure was +7 on the 15th.

21 minutes ago, Damage In Tolland said:

Yeah that one day is the only reason the month won't come in over +3.5. Kind of like that one brutal day in Feb we had. Take that out and where are we?

So now we pick and choose which dates are included in the weather books just to satisfy claims?

Up until the 14th or 15th we were running one of the coolest July's I've had since 1985.  This month has been more Jekyll and Hyde than anything.  People don't remember July 2013 as the "warmest month ever" at BDL and they certainly aren't going to remember this one.

To each their own thoughts. I couldn't disagree more on that. You talk to a non weather geek and they will recall this as a hot summer once completed. I just don't understand why everything in here has to be cold biased. I still recall last week posts from the usual a about no sustained heat or humidity in sight. Go back and read them. Instead  ASOS macs are coming in with top 3-5 warmest Julys and 8-10 days straight over 90.. Hill towns are hitting 90+ .. And some folks probably haven't turned off their AC in 10+ days. But it's still not hot

1 minute ago, Damage In Tolland said:

To each their own thoughts. I couldn't disagree more on that. You talk to a non weather geek and they will recall this as a hot summer once completed. I just don't understand why everything in here has to be cold biased. I still recall last week posts from the usual a about no sustained heat or humidity in sight. Go back and read them. Instead  ASOS macs are coming in with top 3-5 warmest Julys and 8-10 days straight over 90.. Hill towns are hitting 90+ .. And some folks probably haven't turned off their AC in 10+ days. But it's still not hot

No, you are just obsessed with hyperbole. You interpret anyone poo-pooing record heat or day 7-10 +24C heat domes as saying it's cool or that cool weather is coming. There has been a good run of moderate heat since mid-month with 1 or 2 legit hot days mixed in (or rather, I'll be specific and say double digits on max departures so we don't get into the B.S. of subjective adjectives), there's nothing wrong with calling it what it is. A warm (probably something between 1 and 2 sigma) pattern at peak climo time but not record warmth or really that close to it.

12 minutes ago, Damage In Tolland said:

Been a warm to hot 2 weeks for sure, but before that it was not really that hot.  If we go hot from here to 9/1 then I would agree it will be remembered as a hot summer.

51 minutes ago, Brian5671 said:

Been a warm to hot 2 weeks for sure, but before that it was not really that hot.  If we go hot from here to 9/1 then I would agree it will be remembered as a hot summer.

That's the thing - it's needs to stay this warm through the end of August for people to remember this as a hot summer.  It's needs to out weigh the cooler, drier weather that we had for the first 45 days.  The problem is, once we get past the first week or so of August, it gets harder to do that.

1 hour ago, Damage In Tolland said:

We hit 90° about 6-7 times a year on average (or at least in the past 31 years).  How is that a harbinger of being a "hot summer"?

I think most did turn off their A/C's last Tuesday through Thursday, at least at night.  They might have run then during the day on Thursday but most people were taking advantage of the refreshing air including the usual spots in the 40s.

1 hour ago, Damage In Tolland said:

The first 4-5 days. After that..the warmth came in. This will be remembered in the wx community and out of it as a hot month as time passes..And likely a record breaker at BDL

Yeah not in the northern half of New England.  It's still below normal to date.  June and July have been two of the most comfortable summer months recently.

Like Tamarack, the local MVL ASOS is -0.7 on the month through the 25th.

13 days below average.

11 days above average.

1 day exactly average.

If that's not a memorable torch I'm not sure what is.

1 hour ago, weathafella said:

And day 6 aoa 90 was in the books by Noon at BOS

lol couldn't be more different up here.

Last 7 days have averaged -1.2 at MVL with only two above normal days.

-8, -8, -2, +8, +3, -2, 0.

The ASOS Tarmac hasn't hit 90F yet this warm season at 730ft.

3 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

lol couldn't be more different up here.

Last 7 days have averaged -1.2 at MVL with only two above normal days.

-8, -8, -2, +8, +3, -2, 0.

easy, there.  You have two + days there, so you're just admitting the last 7 and all of July have been memorably warm.  And by default, August, too.  Better get the Stowe Reporter to do a feature article on the wall to wall heat.

23 minutes ago, ApacheTrout said:

easy, there.  You have two + days there, so you're just admitting the last 7 and all of July have been memorably warm.  And by default, August, too.  Better get the Stowe Reporter to do a feature article on the wall to wall heat.

:lol:... 3:30pm obs showing 75F under partly sunny skies in the valley.

Another scorcher in progress.

Archived