Newest Member
    joxey
July pattern discussion

Typhoon Tip

• Replies 772
  • Created
  • Last Reply
36 minutes ago, dendrite said:

The summer of 95 was very memorable for any wx weenie that was old enough to remember it.

Correct - weather weenies, not the GP.  I do remember that stretch that BDL might tie but the different was that it was like living in Florida for a week because practically every afternoon we had thunderstorms.  It was hot and humid as opposed to several days in the past week where it was a dry 90° reading.

45 minutes ago, dendrite said:

The summer of 95 was very memorable for any wx weenie that was old enough to remember it.

Yep, awesome beach summer like this year. I recall many Tstorms that year seemingly every night around 6-8 pm. of course the winter that followed......

4 minutes ago, MetHerb said:

Correct - weather weenies, not the GP.  I do remember that stretch that BDL might tie but the different was that it was like living in Florida for a week because practically every afternoon we had thunderstorms.  It was hot and humid as opposed to several days in the past week where it was a dry 90° reading.

Our memories are similar

8 minutes ago, Damage In Tolland said:

When you're living it up in your rich lake house on your 4th week of vacation this summer..it probably wasn't feeling very hot to you

LOL it's basically a cottage. And 91/62 isn't exactly inspiring thoughts of torrid conditions. I wil say it was a generally very warm period for sure. But   weather wise yawn.

17 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

LOL it's basically a cottage. And 91/62 isn't exactly inspiring thoughts of torrid conditions. I wil say it was a generally very warm period for sure. But   weather wise yawn.

Nice spot, nothing better than enjoying all New England has to offer from inland lakes to majestic oceans. Looks like August wants to come in normal to cool. 

i may have missed something along the way (i probably don't devote as much time to every thread as the core cadre of users...) but when/where was there a planned period for a hot stretch??

that seems new to me.  

we..at least I (I thought), have been calling out periods/intervals where heat was more plausible than others - but that's for all times, June 1 to the end of August.   heh, i guess the 'hot stretch' is JJA then? i have no problem if folks wanna say this summer's not very memorable - sure. 

symbolically ... the only thing rescuing this summer from failure was the observation that despite the weird ...seemingly conscious agenda to shunt heat s of ne that's plagued the results... still we managed 90+ for 9 straight days at many sites in the interior.  so i guess that's the stretch??  okay, buuut, if so, there weren't really any expecations - just for the record.  

anyway, that, and some interesting convection that came along with - that sort of elevated the summer (so far) from F to ... say, C- ... maybe a C (mediocrity) in my mind.  but, august is a long month.  recall, september 2013 had a high of 97 one day, big heat.  

Temperature anomalies for summer thus far; the US-Canadian border and northern parts of New England have generally been the coolest areas relative to normal. Otherwise, it has been a nationwide warm summer to date w/ the most anomalous heat in the Central US. The first half of August looks slightly warmer than normal, and I think we will trend warmer for mid month and beyond.

28hjrbt.gif

30 minutes ago, Isotherm said:

Temperature anomalies for summer thus far; the US-Canadian border and northern parts of New England have generally been the coolest areas relative to normal. Otherwise, it has been a nationwide warm summer to date w/ the most anomalous heat in the Central US. The first half of August looks slightly warmer than normal, and I think we will trend warmer for mid month and beyond.

28hjrbt.gif

With a 588 intermountain ridge  from the deserts of AZ to Utah I'd bet against anything but normal plus or minus 1 for New England

39 minutes ago, Isotherm said:

28hjrbt.gif

interesting... 

i've opined in the past over NASA repeatedly releasing global temperature anomalies by month...spanning the last 2 or even 3 year's worth, where that same sort of layout took place:  relative to normal, those cooler appeals in that region may wobble around in geographic area but by and large have remained permanent fixtures.  it's as though for whatever reason ... the entire global circulation system physically directs what few counter-balancing cool regions there are to all that GW fervor ... over eastern Canada to NE (there are/have been other cool nodes around the world, but the repeating offender seems to always be in said regioins)

if memory serves the other has been semi-permanently fixed near Siberia..  

Will and I were acknowledging recently how this summer has found 'clever' ways to keep us out of the bigger heat (an observation that may have broken down in the last 10 days, agreed...), but overall.  it's interesting that while that seemed to be going on, we were adding up anomaly distributions repeating that same 2 or 3 year bias.  guess it fits, huh -

2 minutes ago, Typhoon Tip said:

interesting... 

i've opined in the past over NASA repeatedly releasing global temperature anomalies by month...spanning the last 2 or even 3 year's worth, where that same sort of layout took place:  relative to normal, those cooler appeals in that region may wobble around in geographic area but by and large have remained permanent fixtures.  it's as though for whatever reason ... the entire global circulation system physically directs what few counter-balancing cool regions there are to all that GW fervor ... over eastern Canada to NE.  

if memory serves the the other has been semi-permanently fixed near Siberia..  

Will and I were acknowledging recently how this summer has found 'clever' ways to keep us out of the bigger heat (an observation that may have broken down in the last 10 days, agreed...), but overall.  it's interesting that while that seemed to be going on, we were adding up anomaly distributions repeating that same 2 or 3 year bias.  guess it fits, huh -

AMO

51 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

We've averaged dead on normal the past 10 days of this "hot" stretch at MVL ASOS.

This month's average high is 80F and average low 54F for a -0.4 departure.

Yesterday made 8 AN days in a row, and pulled July to AN, currently at +0.01.  Today and tomorrow should each be close to my average - July might wind up right at 0.00.   Unfortunately, GYX is backing off on the upcoming rain event for our area.  This time the heavier precip is supposed to be to our west and north, for variety.

1 hour ago, Isotherm said:

28hjrbt.gif

Nice call on the warm to hot summer in the northeast. August looks to continue that and then right into fall 

8 minutes ago, OceanStWx said:

I'll continue to complain.

MADIS always thinks I run a little too cool this time of year. I have a thick forested area to my west so the shading creeps in early in the afternoon. The woods almost act like a cool lake in the Springtime. Around 4-5pm my temp will sometimes waver like there's a stationary front cutting through my yard before finally succumbing to the cooler side. Still, highs are normally reached before that happens and MADIS thinks I run 1-2F cool at all points during the daytime. There's nothing epic about my elevation, but I think I'm just enough up the hill, above the general surrounding terrain, that I run a little cooler than down in town. My girlfriend's car thermometer pretty much confirms the differences too. I just made a post in the NNE thread from my PC comparing local avg highs for the month so far, but I don't see it right now from my ipad. The site is so Jekyll and Hyde right now.

2 minutes ago, dendrite said:

MADIS always thinks I run a little too cool this time of year. I have a think forested area to my west so the shading creeps in early in the afternoon. The woods almost act like a cool lake in the Springtime. Around 4-5pm my temp will sometimes waver like there's a stationary front cutting through my yard before finally succumbing to the cooler side. Still, highs are normally reached before that happens and MADIS thinks I run 1-2F cool at all points during the daytime. There's nothing epic about my elevation, but I think I'm just enough up the hill, above the general surrounding terrain, that I run a little cooler than down in town. My girlfriend's car thermometer pretty much confirms the differences too. I just made a post in the NNE thread from my PC comparing local avg highs for the month so far, but I don't see it right now from my ipad. The site is so Jekyll and Hyde right now.

It's really strange enough that CON has been keeping pace with MHT for almost 3 months now. I mean being a degree or two warmer on maxes to me seems noteworthy. That doesn't usually happen on your average well mixed day. 

Archived