SnowHabit
SNE Tropical Weather Discussion - Hurricanes

USCAPEWEATHERAF

• Replies 235
  • Created
  • Last Reply
11 minutes ago, forkyfork said:

i think there should be more hype than there currently is in NJ honestly 

This. If the models continue to paint a bad scenario for the weekend for our area (NJ) the hype will eventually come. But considering its also Labor Day weekend and the shore areas areas are expected to be packed a bit more lead time then usual warning the public of the potential would be prudent. I was supposed to spend Saturday afternoon into Sunday in Atlantic City but I will most likely be canceling my plans later tomorrow or Friday morning.

9 minutes ago, Damage In Tolland said:

Are you sure about that? Euro had it over land so long it really weakened it

It did until it reemerges into the ocean and the ULL captures it. Reinvigorates and retrogrades into the NJ coast. There are some screenshots in the NYC tropical thread with the 10m gusts. Pretty impressive, and I'd imagine a ton of attendant rain.

11 minutes ago, Damage In Tolland said:

Are you sure about that? Euro had it over land so long it really weakened it

I don't think you looked at the model...lol.

Of course it shouldn't be hyped, but should the low stay formidable which it very well may..Two things happen. 1) strengthens a bit over warmer waters east of DelMarva. 2), gets a bit of baroclinic boost and develops strong LLJ on NW side of low, thanks to pressure gradient from high in Maine. Another thing, if this does sling back as it captures, it fits the narrative for lows that have done quite a bit of damage to the coast..especially one that might be vulnerable like NJ. The lows that retro back are ones to reckon with. Of course it's early, but I think most models right now have a pretty good hit for NJ. That's about all you can say.

15 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

Tough to see individual models, but doesn't seem like they show any capture? That looks weird if so. It may also be an issue of how tropical models handle the hand off from tropical to extra-tropical. 

Did the hurricane models have a similarly difficult time with Sandy's transition? 

This is quite the complex situation given alot has to work out perfectly for the system to take on that sort of retrograded track...not impossible but difficult.  Anyways, I agree with forky that the NJ coast could see some significant impacts...perhaps even coastline a tad further north.  As for us here in southern New England though I think we see no more than periods of heavy downpours with embedded thunder and some gusty winds but no significant impacts (perhaps some coastal flooding).  The idea though of some strengthening off the coast is interesting though given the warm waters and if some type of baroclinic zone can setup someone is going to get nailed with rain (probably down near NJ or further south)

The preponderance of the evidence continues to indicate a capture and occlusion to the south near or offshore Nj/Delmarva area with a weakening system drifting passed us to the south. In this scenario  I would expect some breezy to windy conditions along with rough surf and tropical showers  along the coast  but nothing too damaging, although certainly close enough to watch . That block is probably going to protect us, if the storm was running a bit faster it would escape east ahead of the block  but even a slower movement allows the storm to stall and possibly retrograde west under the block but there is really no mechanism to allow a straight north path right into SNE based on the current data.  

Official track was to the left, a little further left and probably to far left. My initial thoughts where okay "not to bad" I can believe that track but in the back-room of thought was this is going to get nudged to the East closer to landfall. Local warnings went up, stayed up and this morning come down. Apalachicola landfall is a huge difference than Cedar Key. A right-sided storm...

imageproxy.php?img=&key=20fe2b78d4e66dff     

20160901_10z.png

Large scale

20160901_10z.png

1 hour ago, CTValleySnowMan said:

The preponderance of the evidence continues to indicate a capture and occlusion to the south near or offshore Nj/Delmarva area with a weakening system drifting passed us to the south. In this scenario  I would expect some breezy to windy conditions along with rough surf and tropical showers  along the coast  but nothing too damaging, although certainly close enough to watch . That block is probably going to protect us, if the storm was running a bit faster it would escape east ahead of the block  but even a slower movement allows the storm to stall and possibly retrograde west under the block but there is really no mechanism to allow a straight north path right into SNE based on the current data.  

Euro at least belies the notion of weakening. Deepens and then holds 970s, even 960s, intensity for a week. Certainly not purely tropical, but an impressive system regardless.

Archived