• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
May 2016 Discussion/Observations

dmillz25

nice steady rain here, we needed it-looks dry for the foreseeable future.  Hoping NYC can achieve the record for driest met spring.

It's already very close. NYC is only .10 away from passing the record.

Anything under 6.00" for the spring guarantees a top 3 finish.

Spring 2016.....4.85" so far....record driest 1885....4.95"

• Replies 919
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It's already very close. NYC is only .10 away from passing the record.

Anything under 6.00" for the spring guarantees a top 3 finish.

Spring 2016.....4.85" so far....record driest 1885....4.95"

Looking at radar, I can see them getting .10 or something around there.

Have only picked up 0.33" rain here during past 4 days in spite of the potential...even this morning looked promising a couple of hours ago on radar but precip is drying up as it comes further south.

I wonder what the NYC record is for length of time between 1.00" events? The last one in NYC was back on February 24th.

Have only picked up 0.33" rain here during past 4 days in spite of the potential...even this morning looked promising a couple of hours ago on radar but precip is drying up as it comes further south.

sun is poking through here and radar is drying up quickly.  Might be another 7 days plus before we see anything meaningful.

I wonder what the NYC record is for length of time between 1.00" events? The last one in NYC was back on February 24th.

I bet the record was set between 1962 to 1966...1963 was going to be the driest on record but a wet November kept it just over the record...1964 set the record for the driest year...1965 broke that record by a lot...1966 started out dry but a wet fall kept it out of the top ten driest...

I bet the record was set between 1962 to 1966...1963 was going to be the driest on record but a wet November kept it just over the record...1964 set the record for the driest year...1965 broke that record by a lot...1966 started out dry but a wet fall kept it out of the top ten driest...

The only time I'll ever see an extended drought end on a specific day (though we didn't really know it at the time.)  After NYC's driest ever met summer (was also hottest until dethroned by 2010), Sept. 21, 1966 brought a coastal that dumped 5.54"; IIRC, at that time it was the city's 3rd largest calendar-day rainfall.  Following the all-day mod-hvy RA with temps mid 50s (kinda cool for mid-Sept NNJ), temp bumped into the 60s after dark and the event had a very noisy finishing TS.

Edit: Longest such stretch I found during the 1960s drought was 8 months, with 1"+ events on Feb. 7 and Oct. 7, 1965.  Then it was May 19 before the next one, and Sept. 14 before another - a 19-month span with just two.  After that, every month thru August 1967 except the mild and storm-free Jan. 1967 had at least one such event.

That could be. I believe that the 2000's record so far is 11/24-11/25/01 to 3/2-3/3/02 winter and precip cancel special.

The only time I'll ever see an extended drought end on a specific day (though we didn't really know it at the time.)  After NYC's driest ever met summer (was also hottest until dethroned by 2010), Sept. 21, 1966 brought a coastal that dumped 5.54"; IIRC, at that time it was the city's 3rd largest calendar-day rainfall.  Following the all-day mod-hvy RA with temps mid 50s (kinda cool for mid-Sept NNJ), temp bumped into the 60s after dark and the event had a very noisy finishing TS.

Edit: Longest such stretch I found during the 1960s drought was 8 months, with 1"+ events on Feb. 7 and Oct. 7, 1965.  Then it was May 19 before the next one, and Sept. 14 before another - a 19-month span with just two.  After that, every month thru August 1967 except the mild and storm-free Jan. 1967 had at least one such event.

2/25/65 had 1.34" in NYC...8/8-9/65 had over an inch but it could have been two separate events...

2/25/65 had 1.34" in NYC...8/8-9/65 had over an inch but it could have been two separate events...

Thanks for catching the late Feb event - kind of numb that I missed it.  I don't have storm data for NYC, just calendar day.  Given the temps on 8/8-9, and the fact that nearby stations showed precip on both days whether they had midnight or 7 AM obs time (latter would show the RA on 9-10), I'm guessing it was two separate convective showers.

Archived