amirah5
    Newest Member
    amirah5
Dec 24-25 Snowstorm part 2

jhamps10

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

As of 25 minutes ago I'm up to 5 inches. The snow shield has continued to expand back to the nw since the heavy band moved through a few hours ago. It's nothing heavy, but light to occasionally moderate snow has continued all morning. Radar shows snow increasing again to my west. I'd say we have a good shot at 6 inches.

My total of 5.0 inches is the combining of 2.1 inches at first light this morning and 2.9 inches a little while ago. I cleaned the snow board after the first measurement. I have another snow board that will not be cleaned until the storm is over. Due to some compaction/settling that board's total is a little bit less... 4.8 inches.

Small but quickly accumulating flakes here too. 0.05" liquid so far. I'm hoping that some of that stronger stuff builds in from the SW.

Flake size has diminished quite a bit here too. More of a sugary snow with much less fluff than the snow I initially had. Has led to a bit of compaction, so despite .2" in the past hour, overall depth hasn't changed much at all.

Apparently there were initialization problems with the GFS/NAM .

http://www.hpc.ncep.noaa.gov/discussions/pmdhmd.html

INITIALIZATION ERRORS IN NUMEROUS DIAGNOSTICQUANTITIES...INCLUDING HEIGHT/VORTICITY FIELDS/RH...ARE EVIDENT INBOTH THE 12Z NAM/GFS WITH SMALL BUT LIKELY SIGNIFICANT SHORTWAVETROUGHS OVER SOUTH DAKOTA/NEBRASKA ALONG WITHSASKATCHEWAN/MANITOBA...

I'm sitting at 4.5" here in Davenport not to shabby, more than I originally thought. Should be able to eek out another inch or two I think. Nice bands still showing up on radar and the mid level low will be working along just to our South which might help enhance the snowfall for another few hours into the early evening before really letting up. I think someone in the metro area will end up with close to 7" or so before its all over with. I couldn't believe how heavy it was snowing last night, it was really coming down for a period of time- probably the heaviest snow I have seen in some time.

Returns on the northern fringe being crushed as best forcing slides south, going to be real hard for NE Illinois to see much of anything beyond a dusting synoptic.

6-7 flakes here.

LOTs aviation discussion still thinks a steadier band will develop:

WSR-88D KLOT HAS

CONTINUED TO SHOW BEST REFLECTIVITY DRIFTING SOUTH...WHICH

SUGGESTS SOME IMPROVEMENT TO NORTHERN IL AIRFIELDS. FEEL THIS IS A

BIT OF A TEASE AS UPPER LEVEL LOW PRESSURE REMAINS WEST OF THE

AIRFIELDS. MODEL GUIDANCE HAS CONTINUE TO SUGGEST THAT THIS UPPER

LEVEL ENERGY WILL NOT ARRIVE ACROSS THE AREA UNTIL LATER THIS EVE.

ONCE THAT ARRIVES STEADIER SN COULD PUSH WEST TO EAST ACROSS

NORTHERN IL/NORTHWEST IN AIRFIELDS. IF THE TRACK IS SLIGHTLY

FURTHER SOUTH THEN AGAIN THE STEADIER SN WILL DRIFT SOUTH AWAY

FROM TERMINALS. AS PREVIOUSLY NOTED IT WILL BE A CLOSE CALL AS TO

WHEN AND PRECISELY WHERE THE IFR CIGS/VSBYS WILL BE AND FOR HOW

LONG.

Agree with you as has been snowing here since 8 am and roads still just wet. Temps. are not helping

LOTs aviation discussion still thinks a steadier band will develop:

WSR-88D KLOT HAS

CONTINUED TO SHOW BEST REFLECTIVITY DRIFTING SOUTH...WHICH

SUGGESTS SOME IMPROVEMENT TO NORTHERN IL AIRFIELDS. FEEL THIS IS A

BIT OF A TEASE AS UPPER LEVEL LOW PRESSURE REMAINS WEST OF THE

AIRFIELDS. MODEL GUIDANCE HAS CONTINUE TO SUGGEST THAT THIS UPPER

LEVEL ENERGY WILL NOT ARRIVE ACROSS THE AREA UNTIL LATER THIS EVE.

ONCE THAT ARRIVES STEADIER SN COULD PUSH WEST TO EAST ACROSS

NORTHERN IL/NORTHWEST IN AIRFIELDS. IF THE TRACK IS SLIGHTLY

FURTHER SOUTH THEN AGAIN THE STEADIER SN WILL DRIFT SOUTH AWAY

FROM TERMINALS. AS PREVIOUSLY NOTED IT WILL BE A CLOSE CALL AS TO

WHEN AND PRECISELY WHERE THE IFR CIGS/VSBYS WILL BE AND FOR HOW

LONG.

Agree with you as has been snowing here since 8 am and roads still just wet. Temps. are not helping

The models have been too agressive pushing precip into the NE 100% of the time this year with similar flow, this time won't be different. Outside far west and south areas, Chicagoland won't see anything beyond an inch or so from the system.

Archived