• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    northernriwx
    Newest Member
    northernriwx
Dec 24-25 Snowstorm part 2

jhamps10

The RUC is odd. The 00z 12 hr precip had a 0.40" bullseye over Cedar Rapids with little elsewhere. The 02z and 03z are pretty much the total inverse of the 00z. There is a dry hole over CR where almost nothing falls while there is a 0.60" bullseye over sw Iowa.

Yeah I noticed that too. Seems like it focuses too much on the precip over south-central Iowa though. I think you're in really good shape. Heavier band is approaching you now.

Snow is probably at least an hour or so away from here.

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That's a pretty significant dry wedge there. Looks like it's already been overcome though, as returns are now right over the DVN radar site.

MLI has snow now..

also

1015 PM SNOW BELLE PLAINE 41.90N 92.27W

12/23/2010 M1.0 INCH BENTON IA TRAINED SPOTTER

NEW SNOW SO FAR. VISIBILITY 1/2 TO 1 MILE IN SNOW RIGHT

NOW.

Down this way in SW Ohio looks like 2 to 3 inches over the whole event. The last few storms have a tendency to have more isentropic lift and a touch more moisture then progged on the models. I have to hedge that total QPF will be determined in a now cast form. Maybe .05 to .10 more could be realized down this way but not much more. H5 and H7 levels have had a tendency to be better than forecasted so that could aid in a little more moisture and lift. Overall pretty non-eventful but a fresh white coating of snow.

Josh

Down this way in SW Ohio looks like 2 to 3 inches over the whole event. The last few storms have a tendency to have more isentropic lift and a touch more moisture then progged on the models. I have to hedge that total QPF will be determined in a now cast form. Maybe .05 to .10 more could be realized down this way but not much more. H5 and H7 levels have had a tendency to be better than forecasted so that could aid in a little more moisture and lift. Overall pretty non-eventful but a fresh white coating of snow.

Josh

Hey Josh I agree with your thoughts! Are you a MET?

Everything points to this thing dying out pretty quickly across my general area. Probably gonna be a POS by the time I see anything from it. laugh.gif Hoping for 1-2", although, I think we will be closer to the 1" mark.

Whatever happens, it's okay though, because we'll have a white snow regardless. Even snow showers will set a good Christmas Eve mood!

Amazing, Minneapolis somehow still managed to get a relatively decent hit out of this. :lmao:

They were upgraded to a winter weather advisory for 3-6" and they're currently under a heavier (narrow) band of snow. :arrowhead:

i had left this one for dead, but my rule of "being gone = snowstorm" is holding strong. no one at home now, but probably around 4" already.

can't wait to shovel when i get home... if i get home in this EC snowstorm.

Looks like Cedar Rapids may be the big winner. Most of the models show at least 0.50" of precip there. With the fluffy dendritic flakes tonight combining with higher ratios they could easily pick up 7-9". That's in the area where the heavier bands will sort of pivot later tonight. DVN may indeed have to bump up a few counties in eastern Iowa to a warning.

Looking to me like this band of snow wants to push through Cedar Rapids and stall to my north and northeast. The sw edge of the snow band continues to progress northeast and central Iowa remains dry.

URGENT - WINTER WEATHER MESSAGE

NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE LINCOLN IL

1050 PM CST THU DEC 23 2010

...LIGHT SNOW IN SOME PLACES TONIGHT. MAIN SNOW EVENT STILL

EXPECTED LATER FRIDAY INTO FRIDAY EVENING...

.A BAND OF LIGHT TO MODERATE SNOW HAS DEVELOPED WELL AHEAD OF THE

MAIN STORM SYSTEM...AND WILL PUSH NORTHEAST ACROSS PORTIONS OF

CENTRAL ILLINOIS OVERNIGHT. SOME LIGHT ACCUMULATIONS WILL BE

POSSIBLE WITH THIS BAND OF SNOW...THEN A LULL IS ANTICIPATED

THROUGH MUCH OF THE MORNING HOURS. SNOW WILL THEN INCREASE AGAIN

BEGINNING MIDDAY IN NORTHWESTERN ILLINOIS AND PROGRESS

SOUTHEASTWARD THROUGH THE AFTERNOON. HEAVIEST SNOW IS EXPECTED

FROM MID AFTERNOON THROUGH EARLY EVENING...WHEN 2 TO 4 INCHES OF

SNOW WILL BE POSSIBLE. THE SNOW WILL THEN TAPER OFF TO FLURRIES

LATE FRIDAY NIGHT AND CONTINUE WITH LITTLE ADDITIONAL

ACCUMULATIONS THROUGH AT LEAST SATURDAY.

Just a hobbyist that tries to learn this stuff. Hopefully they give you a pro met tag or something. Where you plan on focusing on?

Extreme weather is where I focus most of my time on but I am a storm glutton. Any storm I will follow but the more intense it is the more I like it. Unfortunately this storm is relatively benign but it is something to follow for a couple of days.

Josh

Looking to me like this band of snow wants to push through Cedar Rapids and stall to my north and northeast. The sw edge of the snow band continues to progress northeast and central Iowa remains dry.

It sort of looks like it's trying to redevelop east of Des Moines.

Snow is very slowly making progress this way, but it's fighting very dry air. Hopefully we'll see a few flakes by midnight.

A very thin band of dark green and even yellow just moved through Iowa City and points east. That must be some pretty heavy snow. We are under lighter green and it's pouring down small flakes.

This is a radar image I've seen too many times this month. Good snow beginning to fall on Cedar Rapids, but the band is pushing east/northeastward and there is nothing at all to the sw of a CR to QC line.

...This is a radar image I've seen too many times this month. Good snow beginning to fall on Cedar Rapids, but the band is pushing east/northeastward and there is nothing at all to the sw of a CR to QC line.

Yeah, but this system is different though. Before if you found yourself in the dry slot south of the main band you were screwed because you were done. With this system precip will quickly fill back in south of the first main band. In fact, over southern Iowa returns are getting more impressive looking. Later tonight those will merge with the main band over Iowa anyway. I still think the max snowfall in Iowa will be very near CR.

Yeah, but this system is different though. Before if you found yourself in the dry slot south of the main band you were screwed because you were done. With this system precip will quickly fill back in south of the first main band. In fact, over southern Iowa returns are getting more impressive looking. Later tonight those will merge with the main band over Iowa anyway. I still think the max snowfall in Iowa will be very near CR.

ya that first band pushing through CID is a sign of things to come, I think DVN mentioned it in their updated AFD

Getting a few very small flakes reaching the surface now. Just went out on the back patio and I could feel a few hit my neck. It's always fun to go out and take a good look around at things before snow begins to fall. We have 7" on the ground now, so by this time tomorrow night we should be over 10".

Quad Cities could easily get an inch or more in the next hour as a band with some yellow moves in. Cyclone should get heavy snow within a couple hours as well.

Yeah there's a few specs of 35dBZ returns right over the QC airport, but the new ob shows them as having light snow. Seems hard to believe.

Archived