northernriwx
    Newest Member
    northernriwx
Dec 24-25 Snowstorm part 2

jhamps10

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don't want to do this..but I have to go with 3-5 inches for the stl metro. St. Charles St. Louis, Monroe, and St. Clair counties.

to many potential factors that can raise the bar.

I think some places could hit 6-8 in the STL area that get under a mesoband or even some convection.

Both Hi-res models have over .30 QPF some places upwards of .40.

the in house WRF in stl also has .30 qpf.

with that said will go with .20 to .30 but think that wil get everyone in the metro with 3 inches..and possibly upwards of 5.

ratios in the 13/15-1 range as this goes on.

Hmm.... there is a new snow report of 1.7 inches from a spotter described as "2 W Cedar Rapids". That is exactly what my location is. It would really suck if there is a new spotter right on top of me. What are the odds the third spotter report in the entire state, at 1am, has my exact same location?

This latest band of good snow moved through quickly. It has tapered off quite a bit as we are now on the southern edge of the snow.

Hmm.... there is a new snow report of 1.7 inches from a spotter described as "2 W Cedar Rapids". That is exactly what my location is. It would really suck if there is a new spotter right on top of me. What are the odds the third spotter report in the entire state, at 1am, has my exact same location?

This latest band of good snow moved through quickly. It has tapered off quite a bit as we are now on the southern edge of the snow.

The more spotters the better right? May complicate things a bit though if you have slightly different measuring methods.

Latest (6z) RUC cranks out over a half inch of QPF just northwest of the QC by noon. Shows about 0.4" here. I'm still thinking 4" here, but if we can get this band to stall on us for awhile then maybe we can sneak in some higher totals. I guess we'll see how it goes lol.:snowman:

It was snowing very, very heavily here earlier, but has really tapered off since that time. Looking at the radar we may be in a bit of trouble here reaching the higher end amounts. Looks to me like just North and Northwest of the Quad Cities will make out quite well... pretty horrific looking area moving in now of weak/no returns.

Okay, no need to rub it in now. Im at 1/4 inch. I know be jealous lol. I'm just hoping to squeeze an inch out of this during Christmas it'll at least make it look like the holidays lol

Haha didn't mean it like that. Honestly having snow is nice but I like storms more, not necessarily having snow on the ground.

Pict or it didn't happen :P

I will try to get a pic of some of the piles tomorrow.

Probably about 3.5" tonite, big gradients though as a pretty heavy band developed and bisected the metro early.

Haha didn't mean it like that. Honestly having snow is nice but I like storms more, not necessarily having snow on the ground.

I will try to get a pic of some of the piles tomorrow.

Probably about 3.5" tonite, big gradients though as a pretty heavy band developed and bisected the metro early.

I've never been big on tracking anything other than winter events. Was the biggest thing that kept me from going and getting a Met degree. Who wants to hire someone only interested in winter weather. I can only think of one person who's main focus is winter. Kocin. So I just didn't figure it'd be my best option to go to school to be a met lol

I've never been big on tracking anything other than winter events. Was the biggest thing that kept me from going and getting a Met degree. Who wants to hire someone only interested in winter weather. I can only think of one person who's main focus is winter. Kocin. So I just didn't figure it'd be my best option to go to school to be a met lol

Yeah winter storms here too, love them. And there is a whole field that is dedicated to winter weather; transportation road weather industry relies on road weather forecasting and conditions in winter...whether it is private weather forecasting or state agencies like DOT's, or some combo of both.

Yeah winter storms here too, love them. And there is a whole field that is dedicated to winter weather; transportation road weather industry relies on road weather forecasting and conditions in winter...whether it is private weather forecasting or state agencies like DOT's, or some combo of both.

Yea but what to do in the summer time lol.. Idk.. I'm just glad this block will be gone. It goes away and a major storm already in the horizon. Heavy rain with some decent icing/snow on the back side lol. Could be a fun one.

The overnight hours evolved as I expected... the good band of snow around midnight lifted northeast and left a large part of east-central and southeast Iowa with little to no snow the rest of the night. That's just the way this month has gone. My total was about 1.7 inches when I went to bed and it's still only 2.1 inches.

There is a band of heavy snow currently sinking southeast across the area. The snow rate must be high because just north of Cedar Rapids there are reports of 6 inches. The heavy band is actually right on top of me now, but there is hardly a flurry falling.

Archived