amirah5
    Newest Member
    amirah5
Dec 24-25 Snowstorm part 2

jhamps10

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I just cleared one of my snow boards again after another 8 hours. My new cumulative total is 5.8 inches. The uncleared snow board has 5.6 inches, so there has not been a huge difference between the measuring techniques so far. Solid snow continues to expand over the Cedar Rapids area on radar. It is not heavy snow(0.8 inches in the last 3 hours), but it's a steady light snow with good size fluffy flakes. One notable change this afternoon is the snow is wetter.

Just drove from LAF to IKK, arriving about a 1/2 hour ago. When I left it wasn't snowing in LAF, but finally ran into some about 20 minutes west. Snowed the whole way, with varying intensity, but the roads were just wet. Didn't hit snow covered (slightly snow covered) roads until about 15 miles outside IKK. Snowing pretty good here right now and it looks like LAF is getting smacked pretty good too in the last hour. A very nice Christmas Eve event. :)

5.2" total in the undisturbed areas so far. Our near 6hr total in the cleared area is 2.5". If you add that to the 3.0" measured before that our total would be 5.5". To me the 5.2" is more accurate since it's still snowing and that's what most people would recognize as what's come down so far.

Dry air is slowly eating at the snow just northeast of here, so we may see the snow accumulation drop off even more in the next hour. It looks like the heaviest snows from the west will slide a little south of here later on.

The snow here has picked up again... big, fluffy flakes. It looks fantastic.

5.2" total in the undisturbed areas so far. Our near 6hr total in the cleared area is 2.5". If you add that to the 3.0" measured before that our total would be 5.5". To me the 5.2" is more accurate since it's still snowing and that's what most people would recognize as what's come down so far.

I'm thinking 5.5 is more accurate. Going back to the early December storm, you then measured 8.5 inches but you obviously got another 2 inches on top of the 8 you measured in the morning. It doesn't make sense to me to allow 12+ hour compaction to cancel out new snow that clearly fell and accumulated.

Dry air is slowly eating at the snow just northeast of here, so we may see the snow accumulation drop off even more in the next hour. It looks like the heaviest snows from the west will slide a little south of here later on.

Given that batch of moderate-heavy snow extends up to near Dubuque, i'm sure you will get in on a good deal of it.

The snow here has picked up again... big, fluffy flakes. It looks fantastic.

I'm thinking 5.5 is more accurate. Going back to the early December storm, you then measured 8.5 inches but you obviously got another 2 inches on top of the 8 you measured in the morning. It doesn't make sense to me to allow 12+ hour compaction to cancel out new snow that clearly fell and accumulated.

Good to see you guys finally get in on a good snow. Timing is pretty nice too considering it's xmas eve.

Since this is such a long and drawn out event, maybe it is best to go with the cleared cumulative total. I cleared that area again, and will measure it again around 9 tonight. It's snowing very nicely now. Much better than it has since earlier this morning. Radar doesn't look too impressive, but it's really coming down out there now. Probably gonna be exceeding the 6 inch mark here in the near future. The dry air that looked to be leaking in from the northeast stopped, and now heavier returns are actually moving up from the south.

Its looking less and less for areas east of INDY right now. Lots of the moisture is drying up as it heads east. The latest models are really hinting at less and less QPF for areas in Ohio. We may be lucky to get an inch. We'll see but I am starting to see the writing on the wall

Kokomo hasn't even seen a flake yet. :(

Its looking less and less for areas east of INDY right now. Lots of the moisture is drying up as it heads east. The latest models are really hinting at less and less QPF for areas in Ohio. We may be lucky to get an inch. We'll see but I am starting to see the writing on the wall

Really no point in looking at models anymore. Im focused on the radar, and dew points, etc. Radar doesnt look bad, just going to be a matter of how much is virgo and how long it takes to overcome the dry air. Dew points arent horrible for cmh though 20, RH at 68. BP 1028 and temp at 28.

Archived