• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
Wild Weekend Weather- Disco 04/02-/04/03

Damage In Tolland

18z GFS is really impressive for your area/BOS region.  The little H7 closure slows it just enough to crank for another hour or two longer than other areas. That'll make a difference if you are getting 0.15" in the bucket every hour.

I know, don't rip and read QPF but that's also impressive with 0.4-0.5" 24 hour totals between ORH and BOS.

If you go to weather.cod and look at 925-850-700...you can see the inflow. We take the low level inflow, squeeze it out in strong convergence..and the cold air aloft provides instability to further accelerate lift. Pretty cool whereever that occurs.

• Replies 780
  • Created
  • Last Reply

What about graupel?  This type of convective set-up might also lead to just pounding dippin' dots, among dendrites and thunder, lol. 

I could see it just pouring graupel and the public thinking its sleeting or hailing.  That's what we get a lot this time of year with convective orographic showers... I'd imagine the set-up is pretty good for that as well in this one. 

What about graupel?  This type of convective set-up might also lead to just pounding dippin' dots, among dendrites and thunder, lol. 

I could see it just pouring graupel and the public thinking its sleeting or hailing.  That's what we get a lot this time of year with convective orographic showers... I'd imagine the set-up is pretty good for that as well in this one. 

I went from rain-hail-whiteout in Dec 2005. I'm pretty sure it was hail. It was cloudy looking and not like dip n' dots graupel.

Here's the robust RGEM solution for snow precip...it actually has warning criteria snow for areas near the pike in central and W MA.

SN_000_048_0000.gif

Here's the key...remember when we said that you want to see those 5H height lines ripping back to the N and NW?

Well here is how it looks at 33h....very nicely wound up even up at 5H...so it really gets the conveyor cranking as that traverses across the south coast of SNE:

GZ_D5_PN_033_0000.gif

And here's 850mb....look at the pike region on these maps...starting in C/W MA on the first image, and then E MA on the 2nd image...see the wind flags coming out of the east at 30 knots....that is the key for getting the big solution the RGEM has.

TT_GZ_UU_VV_033_0850.gif

TT_GZ_UU_VV_036_0850.gif

Is it right? Hard to say...if it is, then we're gonna have a lot of surprised folks Sunday morning...but it's still a bit too early to start expecting >4".

GFS is quite robust as well...maybe a tick north of RGEM and not quite as crazy with the ML inflow, but these placements don't mean a ton yet when we're talking 10-20 miles.

The trend at 00z is definitely more robust...you can see it both in the ML plots and the H5 plot:

f33.gif

f36.gif

AOOUT (As one of us thought)

WINDS...INTENSE PRESSURE COUPLET YIELDING HURRICANE FORCE WINDS AT

H925 ACROSS NJ / DELMARVA EXTENDING ON UP ACROSS SE NEW ENGLAND AS
THE STORM EXITS LATE MORNING TO MIDDAY SUNDAY. WITH INCREDIBLY STEEP
LAPSE RATES...UNDOUBTEDLY A MAGNITUDE OF SUCH WINDS WILL MIX DOWN TO
THE SURFACE. 35 TO 55 MPH WINDS ACROSS INTERIOR NEW ENGLAND N TO S
WITH 50 TO 70 MPH WINDS ACROSS RHODE ISLAND AS WELL AS E/SE MASS.

AOOUT (As one of us thought)

WINDS...INTENSE PRESSURE COUPLET YIELDING HURRICANE FORCE WINDS AT

H925 ACROSS NJ / DELMARVA EXTENDING ON UP ACROSS SE NEW ENGLAND AS

THE STORM EXITS LATE MORNING TO MIDDAY SUNDAY. WITH INCREDIBLY STEEP

LAPSE RATES...UNDOUBTEDLY A MAGNITUDE OF SUCH WINDS WILL MIX DOWN TO

THE SURFACE. 35 TO 55 MPH WINDS ACROSS INTERIOR NEW ENGLAND N TO S

WITH 50 TO 70 MPH WINDS ACROSS RHODE ISLAND AS WELL AS E/SE MASS.

Yeah coastal areas should do well with winds...never been any doubt about that.

Thank you.Getting accused of hype only to actually see it likely occurring

This definitely looks intense. Best winds as usual though look SE of this location Those of us in interior valleys tend to be skeptical because we rarely see memorable winds, strong yes but for me memorable is significant damage and/or power outages. Nevertheless ,it will be a wild morning.

Archived