• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
March 2016 General Discussion

snowlover2

This is my first spring living here (Toronto) so I'm not really sure when the first signs of spring usually happen. But it has been a really warm winter and I saw the first buds popping out on the trees before February was over. I just got back from vacation last night and the buds on the trees are green and flowers are blooming. In a normal year, does spring usually start earlier in the Great Lakes area compared to New England?

• Replies 386
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This is my first spring living here (Toronto) so I'm not really sure when the first signs of spring usually happen. But it has been a really warm winter and I saw the first buds popping out on the trees before February was over. I just got back from vacation last night and the buds on the trees are green and flowers are blooming. In a normal year, does spring usually start earlier in the Great Lakes area compared to New England?

Are you sure there isn't a warm air vent blowing on your plants? We are only slightly colder here and I have absolutely no signs of spring foliage besides a slightly greener lawn.

Are you sure there isn't a warm air vent blowing on your plants? We are only slightly colder here and I have absolutely no signs of spring foliage besides a slightly greener lawn.

:blink: No, the trees outside.

You can't see that the buds are green here, because it was getting dark out, but they're real

oa5id3.jpg

I was watching the CLE radar loop and there was a little swirl that looks roughly like the hurricane symbol. Not a lake-effect-snow vortex, not a hurricane. No convective contribution from the warm lake water - the lake is colder than the surface temps.

csEwDf4.png

I was watching the CLE radar loop and there was a little swirl that looks roughly like the hurricane symbol. Not a lake-effect-snow vortex, not a hurricane. No convective contribution from the warm lake water - the lake is colder than the surface temps.

csEwDf4.png

Had something similar to that over N. Central IL this morning. I forgot to screen it.

Wow, the models are really catching up to this dynamic system now.  Again, the euro saw it first.  The 06z nam/4knam are truly impressive, rapidly strengthening this thing from the 990s into the 970s(other models not quite as strong) in a short time later as it crosses eastern Iowa.  The nam and gfs are up to 2 inches of rain for CR and 4 inches near the MN border.  First thing tomorrow morning the wind should really be howling here in CR.  This should be fun.

First t-storm of the season last night around 3am. Nice boomers. Next wave of rain moving in now with 1-2" looking good. As Hawkeye mentioned, this thing really is going to be dynamic today and tomorrow. Cams really catching onto the rapid deepening. Most are showing a changeover to snow in E MN. The 6z NAM and 4k both show unrealistic amounts of 6-12" in MSP. We may see some accums on grassy surfaces though. Wind gusts to 50mph.

Just glancing at the 12z runs for tomorrow...the GFS wind fields are NUTS.  Checking some forecast soundings/mixing potential, there would be a band of gust potential pushing 70-75 mph in southern WI/northern IL.  NAM also impressive but seems more subdued.

Not necessarily. It varies every year, I'm sure new england will be earlier than normal this year too. The last 3 years in the Detroit area, we didn't have leaves til May. In 2012 they were popping in late March (normal is late april).

Hey, missed this post at first. Welcome to our fair city. :)

Aside from March 2012, it's pretty unusual to see much budding before April. The pic you took may be those "winter buds" that I've heard about. Not sure how you distinguish those buds from regular springtime buds.

The high winds don't look as impressive as it had previously for this area.  Before work this morning many of the models were showing 35+kts sustained wind through a large section of the area.  About 10kts lower with the newer runs.  Looks like a solid advisory event though.  Looks like best wind fields have shifted northeast some compared to previous runs.  

The backwash precip filled in a bit last night and boosted my 24 hr rain total to 0.52", but all the heavy stuff blew up to the east.  The system didn't quite rev up soon enough for CR and points west.  As cyclone posted, the wind isn't what it could have been.  So far, we're getting gusts in the 30s, a far cry from the 60 mph mentioned by the NWS.  It might pick up a bit more later this morning.  While my backyard didn't get much out of this, it was fun to track the first dynamic spring system.

Have fun with your snow, weatherbo.

Archived