LANSING AIRPORT 48 MPH 1255 PM 03/16 AWOS  

KANKAKEE AIRPORT 48 MPH 0115 PM 03/16 AWOS  

PONTIAC AIRPORT 47 MPH 1015 AM 03/16 AWOS  

WAUKEGAN AIRPORT 46 MPH 0915 AM 03/16 ASOS  

WAUKEGAN HARBOR 45 MPH 1040 AM 03/16 NWS-GLOS  

WHEELING - CHI EXEC AIRPORT 44 MPH 1230 PM 03/16 ASOS  

JOLIET AIRPORT 44 MPH 1035 AM 03/16 AWOS  

OBSERVATIONS ARE COLLECTED FROM A VARIETY OF SOURCES WITH VARYING  

EQUIPMENT AND EXPOSURE. NOT ALL DATA LISTED ARE CONSIDERED OFFICIAL.  

Congrats Bo...keep us updated.  I imagine you'll get orographic enhancement IYBY due to the strong E winds.  Only an advisory up for your county - probably need to have a warning carved out on top of your hill.  :whistle:

:D 

had 3" of wet snow before drizzle and fog and now back to snow.  point 'cast has 8-14" for tonight and tomorrow.

figured I'd get a warning but the Marquette County forecast is heavily favored for Marquette the city, which will only see about 4-5".

Seemed to be more real snow this winter UP in the UP compared to the usual fluff.. Congrats, Bo!  Plenty more chances to come I would expect to.

Looking forward to the faux spring ending and getting back to normal for a bit. Then we can start true spring over in april.

11.5" of mashed 'tater snow and counting. starting to think 14 or 15" might fall. power out and a tree is down over the road.

gonna be a long day.

This brings up a good point (that you sort of mentioned yesterday) about more flexibility for areas that winter weather products are issued for. Marquette isn't seeing enough snow to justify a warning, but you indisputably are. I wonder if we'll see polygon-based WSWs at some point in the future...or in situations like this elevation based products...IE "winter storm warning for X County above 1800 feet, winter weather advisory for X County below 1800 feet." Either way, try to enjoy the snow. Hopefully the tree damage isn't too severe.

This brings up a good point (that you sort of mentioned yesterday) about more flexibility for areas that winter weather products are issued for. Marquette isn't seeing enough snow to justify a warning, but you indisputably are. I wonder if we'll see polygon-based WSWs at some point in the future...or in situations like this elevation based products...IE "winter storm warning for X County above 1800 feet, winter weather advisory for X County below 1800 feet." Either way, try to enjoy the snow. Hopefully the tree damage isn't too severe.

IMO we will eventually see that (why not?).  In areas that see this type of weather, for example here, it's covered in the ww product issued, and for the most part already understood by the public and especially in a fairly remote area like this.  No one here is concerned that a foot of snow fell in an advisory, but I imagine it would be a real issue in a populated area.

hopefully this will only weed out the weak trees.  snow steady but letting up a lot. 

I picked up about a inch last night, finally got all the snow pack gone and now its white again, ready for spring! Power flickered a few times last night as well with the wind.

You can keep all that Bo up there, where was that snow when it would of mattered that past few months.....

eh, I knew Winter wasn't over. so the warmth of late, I just enjoyed, knowing the snow was coming back. I never fell under 10" with the thaw anyways, so it's not like I've been out planting daisies.  I'm just happy with all the added moisture heading into Spring.  with the rain and snow over the past 2 days, I've recorded over 2.5" of liquid so far.

And besides, there's a good chance of a warm if not hot Summer.

IMO we will eventually see that (why not?). In areas that see this type of weather, for example here, it's covered in the ww product issued, and for the most part already understood by the public and especially in a fairly remote area like this. No one here is concerned that a foot of snow fell in an advisory, but I imagine it would be a real issue in a populated area.

hopefully this will only weed out the weak trees. snow steady but letting up a lot.

In this case...since the areas seeing the most snow are very sparsely populated and see a ton of snow anyways...it's not a big deal. MQT had a bullseye of over 10" in the Hurons so it's not like it was a surprise overall. The bigger issue comes in for metros like Cleveland and Buffalo that routinely see sharp snowfall gradients across densely populated areas. BUF experimented with LES warning polygons downwind of Lake Ontario this winter, so we'll see if that expands at all. CLE has recently seemingly made a general decision to leave Cuyahoga County (Cleveland's county) out of LES products even if the eastern (and fairly heavily populated) portion of the county is getting amounts that justify a product. Polygon LES products would allow them to properly warn hundreds of thousands of people while cutting down on false alarms for the other hundreds of thousands of people in the county. I do agree with you that we'll probably see winter products head that direction...the question is how long that takes.

eh, I knew Winter wasn't over. so the warmth of late, I just enjoyed, knowing the snow was coming back. I never fell under 10" with the thaw anyways, so it's not like I've been out planting daisies.  I'm just happy with all the added moisture heading into Spring.  with the rain and snow over the past 2 days, I've recorded over 2.5" of liquid so far.

And besides, there's a good chance of a warm if not hot Summer.

:snowman:

Speaking of a hot summer...have you had any 90-degree days since living there?  I imagine they are very rare.

:snowman:

Speaking of a hot summer...have you had any 90-degree days since living there?  I imagine they are very rare.

I had one last Summer... I hit 90.  not common at all but doing research, the Summer's of 1983 and 1988, following strong 'nino's were pretty hot.

Here's some totals so far... looks like through tonight another 4-6" here.

Archived