joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
March 2016 General Discussion

snowlover2

• Replies 386
  • Created
  • Last Reply

We are about 1.40" away from the all time March record for rain at DTW. Right now we are at 4.24" which ties 1976 for 9th all time. Interesting list of months fall in the top 20 for rainfall at DTW, including March of 1913, 1938, 1956, 1973, 1974, 1976, 1980, 1985, 1998, and 2011. Need less to say a lot of heavy hitters in there.

.33" here tonight. As hard as it was falling, it certainly seemed like more.

Was sort of expecting more thunderstorm action tonight.  Radar looks pretty quiet right now.  Looks like this system will be pretty meh for this area, as tomorrow's action looks to fire well east.  Timing with this system looked like trash for the DVN area regarding severe from the beginning, so no surprises there.  I'm sure their office is fairly happy after just dealing with March 15th lol.

Was sort of expecting more thunderstorm action tonight. Radar looks pretty quiet right now. Looks like this system will be pretty meh for this area, as tomorrow's action looks to fire well east. Timing with this system looked like trash for the DVN area regarding severe from the beginning, so no surprises there. I'm sure their office is fairly happy after just dealing with March 15th lol.

For sure. Some of my buddies at work will be inspecting hail damage from that storm for months.

Got enough rain to water my fertilizer in. Hoping to get swiped by some action tomorrow, but the best focus looks south and east.

We are about 1.40" away from the all time March record for rain at DTW. Right now we are at 4.24" which ties 1976 for 9th all time. Interesting list of months fall in the top 20 for rainfall at DTW, including March of 1913, 1938, 1956, 1973, 1974, 1976, 1980, 1985, 1998, and 2011. Need less to say a lot of heavy hitters in there.

That would be funny if we got a few extreme downpours and broke that record. It doesn't surprise me we're so close with all the synoptic rain events we've had.

What kind of rivers do you have there? Pool and riffle style with fairly narrow drainage basins?

The rivers are fairly low gradient, meandering within low and wide valleys. Not so much riffle-pool style due to the relatively fine sediment load around here. Fairly consistent in terms of depth and flow. Rivers are shallowly entrenched within the valleys and can hop the banks with only a 2-3ft rise.

For example, here's a flood-prone area in West Montrose on the Grand River. Note the very shallow banks.

qblC5y7.jpg

Here's a (low-res) photo I took when it was flooded.

BlJoJ1uCUAAvO42.jpg

One particularly interesting feature is the Elora Gorge, which cuts through the underlying limestone of the Niagara escarpment The grand canyon of southern Ontario :lol:  Its fun to tube down in the summer low-flow months.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Elora_Gorge

The rivers are fairly low gradient, meandering within low and wide valleys. Not so much riffle-pool style due to the relatively fine sediment load around here. Fairly consistent in terms of depth and flow. Rivers are shallowly entrenched within the valleys and can hop the banks with only a 2-3ft rise.

For example, here's a flood-prone area in West Montrose on the Grand River. Note the very shallow banks.

qblC5y7.jpg

Here's a (low-res) photo I took when it was flooded.

BlJoJ1uCUAAvO42.jpg

One particularly interesting feature is the Elora Gorge, which cuts through the underlying limestone of the Niagara escarpment The grand canyon of southern Ontario :lol:  Its fun to tube down in the summer low-flow months.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Elora_Gorge

Nice illustrations.

I was wondering how quickly your floods can develop there. There's some small drainage basins within high gradient ravines along the lake here and the floods can be "flashy". Now you go a short distance over to the Des Plaines River and its stream channel is a lot your streams, not cut deeply and the gradient is mostly shallow.

You got the similar low banks that you find in Upper MN to the west by Fargo. 

For awhile late yesterday it looked like I may not get anything from this system, but a line of storms sank south just barely enough to hit the north half of Cedar Rapids.  Several brief, but very intense downpours added up to 0.68".  There was only a bit of light thunder at the start.  I'm still looking forward to getting some big boomers.

My March precip total is 2.73".

Archived