joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
March 2016 General Discussion

snowlover2

• Replies 386
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Really couldn't ask for a worse Easter than this weatherwise, lol. Steady, cold rain with a temp of 40. Absolutely miserable out there. I'll take the highs in the 20s/dry weather next weekend compared to this crap.

0.19" of rain so far.

Way different in Michigan. Like 67F & sunny here.

This is turning out to be quite the rainstorm, its been a long time since anything like this was observed here. There is a certain level of intensity that the rain has managed to keep since the beginning and waking up to hear the same was surprising. Some raindrops are really huge that shoot down like bullets mixed with some snow at times but its 95% rain still. After the storm I knew we were going over 50 mm (2 in).

I was caught off guard by how powerful the thunderstorm was last night, deep cracking thunder and bright lightning. I think the power even flickered. At 12:40 am there was a massive crack (crash) of thunder that startled me - could have been the loudest in 2 years. Lasted hours on end.

Looks like we could be in for some very strong winds this afternoon, possibly wind storm criteria.

Like a good 'ole fall windstorm. The rain now reminds me of that huge rain event in April 2014 but IIRC no notable thunderstorm and the winds weren't high like they're going to be. Its going to be interesting later today (just as I'm finishing this post the big gusts are starting with more snow flakes).

This is turning out to be quite the rainstorm, its been a long time since anything like this was observed here. There is a certain level of intensity that the rain has managed to keep since the beginning and waking up to hear the same was surprising. Some raindrops are really huge that shoot down like bullets mixed with some snow at times but its 95% rain still. After the storm I knew we were going over 50 mm (2 in).

I was caught off guard by how powerful the thunderstorm was last night, deep cracking thunder and bright lightning. I think the power even flickered. At 12:40 am there was a massive crack (crash) of thunder that startled me - could have been the loudest in 2 years. Lasted hours on end.

Like a good 'ole fall windstorm. The rain now reminds me of that huge rain event in April 2014 but IIRC no notable thunderstorm and the winds weren't high like they're going to be. Its going to be interesting later today (just as I'm finishing this post the big gusts are starting with more snow flakes).

Just light drizzle in my area, although the winds are starting to pick up. Environment Canada now calling for winds gusting up to 80 km/hour in Toronto this afternoon.

I will admit, even I have an appreciation for the type of rainstorm you describe (hours and hours of non-stop heavy downpours and ponding).

It's rare that you see them in real life though. Like the snowflakes in Charlie Brown's Christmas Special, they seem to only happen on TV shows and movies.

We only picked up 1" to 1.5" of rain here though, as the deformation rains set up just to our north.

That was probably the first Easter I can remember with thunderstorms. I can remember a few snowy ones.

I think this Easter was the nicest I can remember, bar none. The t'storms that evening were just icing on the cake IMO.

Had a gorgeous sunset too on top of it all before the t'storms / clouds moved in.

Honest question....do you normally have to mow your lawn in March? Damn that seems early.

I don't know about hawkeye, but I normally begin mowing the second week of April and I mowed for the first time this past weekend, so we're running about two weeks ahead of schedule.

Could be in for some hydro issues with the precipitation over the next 48 hours.

Rivers are quite high right now following the ice storm and tstorms Sunday night. 4km NAM has some 2" rainfall totals in the northern part of the Grand River watershed, would definitely get some rivers out of the banks if it verifies. There was already minor flooding yesterday.

Could be in for some hydro issues with the precipitation over the next 48 hours.

Rivers are quite high right now following the ice storm and tstorms Sunday night. 4km NAM has some 2" rainfall totals in the northern part of the Grand River watershed, would definitely get some rivers out of the banks if it verifies. There was already minor flooding yesterday.

What kind of rivers do you have there? Pool and riffle style with fairly narrow drainage basins?

I don't know about hawkeye, but I normally begin mowing the second week of April and I mowed for the first time this past weekend, so we're running about two weeks ahead of schedule.

Earliest I ever mowed was March 25th back in Morch 2012.  Usually start mowing sometime in mid April.  The last few years it's been late April due to a sluggish start to warmer weather.  

I could definitely mow now, as there's some patches that are getting pretty long, but quite a bit of it is still fairly short.  Need to get a new mower this weekend, as the old workhorse finally crapped the bed.

Earliest I ever mowed was March 25th back in Morch 2012. Usually start mowing sometime in mid April. The last few years it's been late April due to a sluggish start to warmer weather.

I could definitely mow now, as there's some patches that are getting pretty long, but quite a bit of it is still fairly short. Need to get a new mower this weekend, as the old workhorse finally crapped the bed.

Same here. My backyard, which is the south facing area of my lawn, is starting to really take off. My front yard still looks a bit crusty, but if we have a week of upper 50's+ temps, it will pop quickly.

I did put my pre-emergent crabgrass preventer/fertilizer on today. Could really use a soaker sometime tomorrow or tomorrow night to wash it in.

Took the gas out of the snowblower... Had nearly a full tank, as it only ran once all winter (sleet storm). Let's hope for a nice Nina next year so I can get that puppy some work.

Honest question....do you normally have to mow your lawn in March? Damn that seems early.

Last year I mowed for the first time on April 12th.  Even though we are a bit ahead this year, the lawn didn't HAVE to be mowed yesterday.  It was just getting a touch shaggy in spots.  Large sections didn't need it at all.  I easily could have waited another week.  I won't start mowing my neighbor's lawn until it really takes off.

Took the gas out of the snowblower... Had nearly a full tank, as it only ran once all winter (sleet storm). Let's hope for a nice Nina next year so I can get that puppy some work.

I did the same thing yesterday.  I fully expected I'd be able to use up the gas clearing snow, but after mid winter I never had to use it again.

hit 41 today with .19" of rain.  Looks like a snowy few days up this way, but Winter definitely winding down.

I always have mixed feelings seeing the seasonal snow go, but I am always ready. 

took this about 25 min ago

attachicon.gifIMG_4381.JPG

Wow, it's like a different world up there.  Really greening up already down this way.  

Archived