• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Grade the winter of 2015/2016

Rjay

Read Dsnowx's post. We're on the same page.

Anyway, my area received a HECS, we are well above average in snowfall, we went below zero and got my first legit severe storm in a long long time.

Winter isn't suppose to be known for severe storms, not to sure how that contributes to your score? To each their own, as orangecounty said though.

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Winter isn't suppose to be known for severe storms, not to sure how that contributes to your score? To each their own, as orangecounty said though.

Was mostly joking. Still, I got my first severe storm since the late 1990s. Happy belated birthday.

B+

December was awful but the January blizzard was amazing, the whole week before tracking it, the weekend before where it started showing up on every model is something i'll never forget. The storm itself was perfect, happening during the day and on a weekend where I could enjoy it. I really couldn't have dreamed up a better scenario. The storm on the Friday before the Super Bowl was also pretty good, I got about 8 inches here. So, one HECS, another SECS and we got below zero, it's unfair to ask for more than that while living on Long Island. I definitely value getting one big storm over a bunch of smaller ones like last year, because those end up making for annoying driving conditions and I have a long commute to work and my 2007 Civic isn't all that great in the snow, haha (though I do enjoy them, as well).

Last 6 winters for me:

10-11: A

11-12: F

12-13: B

13-14: B

14-15: B+

15-16: B+

B

The Good:

• 2 Winter Storm Warning level events that verified, each with 10"+ (14.4"/10.4").
  • 1 Advisory level event that verified, 4"+ (4.1").
  • All storms increased in snow amount/intensity with model runs leading up to the storm, positive busts.
  • Extreme cold with well below zero temperatures and wind chills approaching -30, Wind Chill Warning verified.
  • Snow storms were daytime storms with 2-3"/hr rates
  • Above average snowfall ~32" and counting.
  • Many days with high temperatures coming in less than 32F.

The Bad:

• No sustained cold.
  • Lots of cutters and rain throughout the winter.
  • Ski season was awful.
  • Not many storms to track on models.

The Ugly:

• Record breaking warm December and very very warm going into winter.
  • No snow throughout the holidays. Christmas/New Years it didnt feel like winter at all.
  • Snow pack/retention was horrid most snow from storms melted very quickly.
  • 2nd warmest met winter on record.

Depending on how the rest of March goes this will either be upgraded to B+/A- or remain at B. I have a feeling this will be one of the highest scores given in the NE sub-forum as most of them had just the worst winter imaginable and I'm coming in with higher amounts than many places in MA, VT, and NH.

The worst winter imaginable (F) would be 2001-2002. 7" of snow season total with one advisory (barely) level event (at night) that melted the next day. Warm throughout the entire winter and nearly 0 days <32F. An A+ would be something like 2010-2011. Extreme snow pack, back to back storms, 30"+ storm, cold etc.. Last season was an A/A-

B- or C+.

Despite the "official" numbers we got maybe 15" of snow in mid-Westchester. And We did have the five-day cold snap in February, culminating in a subzero morning and a nice front-end dump of snow during the warmup.

Otherwise, torchy December and mild weather the rest of the time made it mediocre; not a fail like 1971-2, 1972-3, 1975-6, 1988-9, 1990-1, 1991-2, 1996-7, 1997-8, 2001-2, 2011-2 and whatever other abortions I am forgetting, but nothing special either. The readers of the record books will be sorely disappointed in the rest of the winter, other than the high points.

Guest Pamela

B- or C+.

Despite the "official" numbers we got maybe 15" of snow in mid-Westchester. And We did have the five-day cold snap in February, culminating in a subzero morning and a nice front-end dump of snow during the warmup.

Otherwise, torchy December and mild weather the rest of the time made it mediocre; not a fail like 1971-2, 1972-3, 1975-6, 1988-9, 1990-1, 1991-2, 1996-7, 1997-8, 2001-2, 2011-2 and whatever other abortions I am forgetting, but nothing special either. The readers of the record books will be sorely disappointed in the rest of the winter, other than the high points.

2006-07 & 2007-08.

2006-07 & 2007-08.

I left those out since February 2007 featured the Valentine's Day sleet-fest, spectacular if not pretty and a good dump in March (that cancelled my older son's birthday party).  February 23, 2008, I believe also had a good snowstorm.

But I was wavering on those two, I'll admit. 1999-2000 comes closer to an "official bummer."

B- or C+.

You just went through the second warmest winter ever and you received less than half of your average seasonal snowfall and this is a C+/B- winter? I realize this is all subjective but in my book you just described a D- winter.

I'm not picking on any one individual but I find many of these high grades perplexing. Even if I had near average snowfall like many in LI did, the ridiculous warmth and lack of any sustained snow cover makes this a D+/C- winter at best, but I'll stick with my F.

You just went through the second warmest winter ever and you received less than half of your average seasonal snowfall and this is a C+/B- winter? I realize this is all subjective but in my book you just described a D- winter.

I'm not picking on any one individual but I find many of these high grades perplexing. Even if I had near average snowfall like many in LI did, the ridiculous warmth and lack of any sustained snow cover makes this a D+/C- winter at best, but I'll stick with my F.

He got more than 15" in Westchester...the Blizzard alone was 16-18" there, then 5-6" from the anafrontal early Feb event, 2-3" on 2/15 before changeover, 1" on March 4th...he should have 25-30" in his location. JBG is notorious for underestimating snowfall amounts and arguing with official records solely to be contrarian.

I still think a C/C+ is a fair grade for this winter, so I don't completely doubt JBG's argument. It's hard to put this winter in the category of true ratter like 11-12, 01-02, 99-00, 98-99, 97-98, 96-97, 88-89, 72-73, etc...that group of winters had no major snowfalls and lacked extreme cold. The winter minimum was 19F in 01-02 compared to -1F this year.

This winter was more like 82-83 in being a one storm winter, but as Isotherm pointed out, the Arctic blocking pattern was slightly more favorable with the extreme Kara Sea ridge leading to a brief but powerful -AO. Instead of one storm, we got three weeks: From January 23 to February 15 was a solid stretch of winter with a 26" blizzard, two other events, and a below zero night in an exceptionally cold weekend.

However, the rest of the winter was dreadfully mild and echoes 01-02, 11-12, and 97-98. We had very little sustained snowpack for a winter that featured 35-40" in NYC. 08-09 had 25" but had significantly more snow cover. The 26" blizzard melted in 5 days like Jan 96. December was the warmest ever, and it should be a long time before we see another December without any 32F nights in Central Park. Late February failed to deliver, and March is looking more like a spring month.

Overall, a winter of extreme contrasts. Unfortunately, a winter that rarely felt wintry.

the closest winter to an A+ imo is 1995-96...But it had its faults...the second half of January was a major thaw...the last week in February was a major thaw...if all the precipitation from noreasters fell as snow NYC would have picked up 100"...I think 1997-98 should get the lowest rating possible...F...is there a F-?...

1995-96...A+

2002-03...A

2010-11...A

2009-10...A

2013-14...A

2014-15...A

1993-94...A

2000-01...B+

2003-04...B+

2004-05...B+

2005-06...B

2008-09...B

2015-16...B

2012-13...B-

1999-00...D

2006-07...D

2007-08...D

1994-95...D

1998-99...F

1996-97...F

2011-12...F

1997-98...F

2001-02...F

Guest Pamela

With 11 of the last 22 winters featuring more than 50 inches of snow out here in Port Jeff (1993-94 through 2014-15)...lot of A or B winters in the last generation...('94, '96. '01, '03, '04, '05, '10, '11, '13, '14, '15).  Even '09 must be deemed a fairly decent winter as we just broke 40 inches and saw some extreme cold in January.

Sorry, I was counting only the January 23, 2016 storm in my totals. With the nickel and dimers it was maybe 22" for the winter. And the big cold of mid-February did happen.

JBG is notorious for underestimating snowfall amounts and arguing with official records solely to be contrarian.

I am on the Connecticut border, 3.3 miles south of KHPN. However we are close enough to the Sound that we often get less snow than KHPN and warmer temperatures. 

Also I think the "snowboard" method of measuring overestimates a storm's impact. The impact on the Lindsay Storm on KNYC was crippling; this one caused barely a ripple. Yet the Lindsay Storm officially produced 15.2" compared to 26.8 in this one.  Better labor relations and snow removal were not the whole story. The measurements are inflated.

A+. From the 70s on the beach Christmas Eve to capturing thunder snow during a live hit in the middle of covering the blizzard at 6:30 am at the beach to now 80 degrees one week after 5 inches of snow and catching a tan today plus missing the Valentine's weekend cold on vacation in Daytona Florida. Best....winter....ever. A+ for Point Pleasant Beach.

I am on the Connecticut border, 3.3 miles south of KHPN. However we are close enough to the Sound that we often get less snow than KHPN and warmer temperatures.

Also I think the "snowboard" method of measuring overestimates a storm's impact. The impact on the Lindsay Storm on KNYC was crippling; this one caused barely a ripple. Yet the Lindsay Storm officially produced 15.2" compared to 26.8 in this one. Better labor relations and snow removal were not the whole story. The measurements are inflated.

Yet three airports within 6 miles of Central Park all reported between 28-31 inches and you believe the 26.8 is inflated? You obviously don't know the history of snowfall measurements in Central Park, most storms there big and small are under measured and despite NOAA's attempts to fix it, it has continued this year with the Conservancy.

a storms impact should be considered as part of the criteria...this year's blizzard was gone in a week or so...It did screw things up for a few days...The storm in 1983 was similar...the one in Feb. 1978 was on the ground with reinforcements until mid March...Boxing day six also...I think the biggest impact storm was Boxing day four in 1947...other great impact storms were in Feb. 1920...December 1960...January 1961...February 1961...January 1964...Feb. 1967...Feb. 1969...March 1993...January 1996...

Archived