joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Grade the winter of 2015/2016

Rjay

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Again I reiterate. How can anyone grade this winter a B or above when we are now bringing to a close the warmest November through March period in our recorded history? Depending on your location isn't winter suppose to be 3-5 months in our area?

The fact that a few areas saw near or above normal snowfall because of one large storm should not weigh so heavily in these grades IMO. The snow never stuck around, and other than one 7 day period in February there was never any sustained cold. Take away a one day event and the entire area is well below normal for snowfall with record warm temperatures the whole winter.

Maybe people under 35 are just getting use to mild winters and think it's the new norm. Maybe it is?

The Tri state area grades without all the curves:

HV       F-

NNJ     D-

NYC    C-

SWCT D-

LI        C+

CNJ     C

So let it be written, so let it be done.

Again I reiterate. How can anyone grade this winter a B or above when we are now bringing to a close the warmest November through March period in our recorded history? Depending on your location isn't winter suppose to be 3-5 months in our area?

The fact that a few areas saw near or above normal snowfall because of one large storm should not weigh so heavily in these grades IMO.

Snowfalls as large as the one some areas saw in January are historic. It's the greatest snowfall I've ever seen in my part of the county. I also received 10" from another storm and my area finished well above normal for snowfall, almost doubling the average. The only thing keeping this from an A is the consistent warmth.

I've known you a long time and love your posts but there's a reason winter grades are subjective.

Guest Pamela

So let it be written, so let it be done.

a reason winter grades are subjective.

I fear I am rubbing off on these people....

<Brrr...scary>

Feeling generous I see.

I'm having a difficult time imagining a more disappointing winter.

I'm still going with a C- to B+ for this winter. To borrow Nzucker's phrase, "official ratter" we didn't reach those levels. Official ratter winters would be  1971-2, 1972-3, 1974-5, 1975-6, 1979-80, 1985-6, 1988-9, 1991-2, 1996-7, 1997-8, 1998-9, 2001-2, 2007-8, and 2011-12, In other words winters without major snow or major cold.  It doesn't make this winter a great one by a long shot but a historic snowstorm and historic cold go a long way to rescuing an otherwise undistinguished season.

Archived