joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Potential major winter storm - Feb 24-27

snowstormcanuck

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I might be biased but I'm liking my area in northwest IN at this point. You said you want a 12" blizzard. I don't know if the best snows end up here but areas near lake Michigan will be favored for some of the strongest winds with the long fetch down the lake.

Just noticed I missed your post, earlier. Thanks for the input and taking time to share it. I've benefited so much from these forums when preparing for past intercepts. No one knows the area like those of you who live there and have experienced past storms in that region. For the reasoning you mentioned, I'll be inclined to choose a location closest to the Lakes for the strongest winds. Gotta get the system to actually materialize first, naturally.

GEM coming west, but on the warm side.

gem_mslp_pcpn_frzn_eus_12.png

Sfc temps are warm on there south of MI..more like mid 30s instead of low 30s.

In some ways you can see the fragility of the setup when looking at 2m temp maps. Going to be very important to get into the zone where dynamic cooling can work its magic.

In some ways you can see the fragility of the setup when looking at 2m temp maps. Going to be very important to get into the zone where dynamic cooling can work its magic.

Definitely a valid concern about this setup. The 12/24/14 epic bust came to my mind since I issued the 0 precip watch for that event. But I think this system is more dynamic than that was being progged to be and thermal profile is not as marginal as that one. Also the Euro was never as excited about it.

And time of day also. We have the overnight aspect of the system on our side.

Archived