SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Potential major winter storm - Feb 24-27

snowstormcanuck

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Not ready to even make a first guess at this point.  Pretty complex setup as Izzi alluded to.

Could really make an argument either way (nw or se).  On the plus side, still have plenty of 9z SREF members juiced/north...a little less than half the suite spits out over 12" at GYY.  Basically have 2 groups...the over 12" group and the 0-8" group.

SREF have been lagging indicators pretty bad this year but yeah, they look good at ORD too with tons of big dogs and only a couple clunkers sinking the mean but again, they have been useless this winter IMBY

Not sure I'd call that spread the wealth.... Try to be a bit more accurate with your model summations.

Here's the 12 GGEM snowfall/frozen precip map. Still seems to be a pretty narrow swath.

That's a pretty good "spread the wealth" for the eastern half of the subforum. "Wealth" as in a couple of inches, and "greed" through a strip of Michigan.

Anything under those amounts in this kind of setup that doesn't happen to often around these parts....is a non event. You gotta score big in this setup. No one cares about 3-5" of wet snow in late February. It's run of the mill.

Lol. All I said was 5" is not a non-event. Gfs shows 0.60" qpf falling as pure snow at dtw, so that is not showing almost all rain for Detroit as you said. For people who only read the board and don't see model output it's misleading. I didn't say a word about who cares or what not. But since you brought it up, I'll tell you one thing, I've been on weather boards almost 14 years. Every year by mid Feb lots of people claim they do not care for snow unless it's a huge event. And numerous small and run of the mill events have shown that some who say that are telling the truth...and some are lying ;)

That's a pretty good "spread the wealth" for the eastern half of the subforum. "Wealth" as in a couple of inches, and "greed" through a strip of Michigan.

Some winter it is if we're calling this a spread the wealth storm. Remember those (troptidbits and Wxbell) snowfall maps use an algorithm to include all frozen precip as 'snow' so the actually snow band would be even narrower.

Well there's certainly been a trend west on the 12z guidance. We'll see what the Euro shows. Razor thin edge here in the LOT CWA, so very tough forecast for our forecasters and marginal thermal profile. At this point if I were making the call on a Watch or not with afternoon issuance, I'd lean against one because confidence is lower than I'd want it to be, even in southeast CWA.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Lol. All I said was 5" is not a non-event. Gfs shows 0.60" qpf falling as pure snow at dtw, so that is not showing almost all rain for Detroit as you said. For people who only read the board and don't see model output it's misleading. I didn't say a word about who cares or what not. But since you brought it up, I'll tell you one thing, I've been on weather boards almost 14 years. Every year by mid Feb lots of people claim they do not care for snow unless it's a huge event. And numerous small and run of the mill events have shown that some who say that are telling the truth...and some are lying ;)

Ratios probably won't be 10:1, so .6 would probably be around 4-5". Which would be an advisory event.

I mean I know you get excited even with dustings, but yeah, I think a good majority here don't care for advisory events. If it were up to me, I'd rather not deal with it.

Well there's certainly been a trend west on the 12z guidance. We'll see what the Euro shows. Razor thin edge here in the LOT CWA, so very tough forecast for our forecasters and marginal thermal profile. At this point if I were making the call on a Watch or not with afternoon issuance, I'd lean against one because confidence is lower than I'd want it to be, even in southeast CWA.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Was thinking about that January fail storm a little while ago...the one where it looked like there was going to be a changeover to significant snow but the changeover was delayed and snow amounts were pretty minor.   Step 1 is to not have a delayed changeover...if that happens then hope that low level temps will respond enough to allow for big amounts.

Archived