joxey
President's Day Storm Obs & Nowcasting

nj2va

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Commonsense overload.

There's four types of sidewalks:

1. Not shoveled, and crunchy and easy to walk on.

2. Shoveled a bit but still a dusting to an inch of snow, a bit icy but still relatively safe

3. Shoveled to the bare ground with salt, completely safe and not icy whatsoever

4. Shoveled to the bare ground with no salt, cue Michelle Kwan

Still not that into the ice threat at least big wise. I think HRRR is overdone, plus it's running a bit cold at this point. Has colder temps at 10p in some spots compared to what we see now.

People's leyland cypresses may droop a bit and they'll call it an ice storm, but the roads and parking lots will remain clear. Big ice storms around here happen when it is cold and gets colder as the precip falls. Temps are rising; this is not a big ice setup.

People's leyland cypresses may droop a bit and they'll call it an ice storm, but the roads and parking lots will remain clear. Big ice storms around here happen when it is cold and gets colder as the precip falls. Temps are rising; this is not a big ice setup.

Don't recall anyone calling for a big ice storm, but I wouldn't pooh-pooh the fact that even a thin glaze can make things quite treacherous for awhile before it warms above freezing. I just went outside, there's very light drizzle and there are some pretty slick areas just with that. Even cleared areas. Edges of sidewalks that have little or no salt. Ground is quite cold still.

if you're gonna ice up then light/spotty rain with temps below 30 is the way to do it.  of course, busy main roads won't ice up as easily, but roads that weren't treated as well, parking lots, driveways, etc. might get a coating from this one before midnight.  cartops and sidewalks certainly glazing up already.  

Oh boo effing hoo!! People shouldn't be out walking around now anyway. Its not being lazy it's being smart.

I have a driveway that rejects rapid melting because of its position sun-wise.  Got about 4 inches here plus 2 rounds from the plow.  I shoveled and laid ice melt.  I'll go out again to check on things if I have to.

Archived