joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Central PA - February 2016

MAG5035

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

the 70's? Man you're old  :lmao: .... You may have nailed it, no adjustments needed. 

No science behind it, just a gut instinct on my part, but i agree with you and told my wife this on Tuesday evening. 

I was born in '65.

One of my first snowstorm memories was from the winter of 72-73. I developed a horrible ear infection on the day we got like 9" of snow but it blew and blew and blew. I was taken to the doctor that day on a snowmobile...

Nut, was that you?

The funny thing is...there is melting going on today. And it's only in the low 20s. If we had this exact same weather back the 1st week of January the only melting would be on treated roads. 

The sun angle is real...BUT, it gets overplayed too much as well. 

the snow you see melting is likely on the roads correct?

Probably the same roads that have tons and TONS of anti skid down...ya know, the stuff that melts to 14deg F.

Or maybe a rooftop that has a wood stove, or 70k btu heat source under it.....Just sayin.   ^_^

Nut

the snow you see melting is likely on the roads correct?

Probably the same roads that have tons and TONS of anti skid down...ya know, the stuff that melts to 14deg F.

Or maybe a rooftop that has a wood stove, or 70k btu heat source under it.....Just sayin.   ^_^

Nut

No. Seeing much more grass on south facing slopes than I did this morning. 

On the bright side, you'll have a white ground until May. 

lol...tru dat...

Euro's over amped bias has to be part of what were seeing.  For anyone to say its been rock solid...is just a hugger...as MOST of the 12z were wagons EAST...not west.

Still think that even a logical compromise, puts true Central/NC and yes NEPAboy into the good stuff.

I'll be smelling the rain down here and watching it wash away my precious snow.

Nut

lol...tru dat...

Euro's over amped bias has to be part of what were seeing.  For anyone to say its been rock solid...is just a hugger...as MOST of the 12z were wagons EAST...not west.

Still think that even a logical compromise, puts true Central/NC and yes NEPAboy into the good stuff.

I'll be smelling the rain down here and watching it wash away my precious snow.

Nut

From what I have read the past few days the euro parallel has been east of operational, though have not seen any of it myself to confirm that or not. 

Also...

"...SHORT WAVE CROSSING PACIFIC NORTHWEST SAT TO THE GREAT LAKES/OH VALLEY MON...

PREFERENCE: 12Z GFS/12Z ECMWF BLEND

FORECAST CONFIDENCE: AVERAGE

THE 12Z NAM APPEARS TO BE FASTER THAN THE MODEL CONSENSUS WITH THE SHORT WAVE AS IT TRACKS FROM THE PACIFIC NORTHWEST EARLY SAT TO THE WESTERN OH VALLEY SUN. THE 12Z GFS CLUSTERS WELL WITH THE 12Z ECMWF/00Z ECMWF MEAN WITH THE PLACEMENT OF THE SHORT WAVE OVER IA SUN...WHILE THE 12Z UKMET APPEARS TO BE TOO FAST AND FLAT BY THE END OF DAY 3. THERE IS SOME SPREAD ON THE PLACEMENT OF THE SURFACE BOUNDARY ACROSS SD INTO NE SAT NIGHT INTO SUN...AND THIS COULD RESULT IN DIFFERENCES IN THE PLACEMENT OF THE QPF MAXIMUM. THE SHORT WAVE DRIVING THIS SYSTEM IS STILL OFF THE PACIFIC NORTHWEST COAST...SO THERE MAY BE BETTER MODEL CONSENSUS ON SHORT WAVE TIMING AND PLACEMENT OF THE SURFACE BOUNDARY AS THE SHORT WAVE GETS INTO THE RADIOSONDE NETWORK."

Just wish we could all get crushed. Just once.

If one model was going to be so bad, why oh why does it have to be the Euro?

The NAM looked like it would be good. The GFS was good for most. The GEM was good for most. And then doc came to the house and said "NO!"

And I think most of us are having private counseling sessions telling ourselves we know who's going to be right...

If one model was going to be so bad, why oh why does it have to be the Euro?

The NAM looked like it would be good. The GFS was good for most. The GEM was good for most. And then doc came to the house and said "NO!"

And I think most of us are having private counseling sessions telling ourselves we know who's going to be right...

You've been on your game today man! Enjoying the posts. Between our Mets and LSV guys we have best subforum around.

The Euro op remains the furthest west and amped up of the model solutions in today's 12z suite. It's ensemble mean still indicates a good bit of uncertainty with lack of a truly coherent low center, widespread QPF and pretty uniform 850 contours. Overall it's a bit warmer and west of the GEFS mean. The GFS is more in the middle and the Canadian keeps most precip east and doesn't really have much of a snow swath after an initial push of lighter snowfall through the state. 

Despite the differences, the GFS and Euro are in fact pretty high impact winter storms for the commonwealth.. just in different portions. The Euro gets the Pit gang and NW PA pretty good snow wise, and gives central a decent front and tail end.. with at least some ice issues in the middle. It seemed most everyone got some kind of front end snowfall. One thing that has been consistent with this event the last several days... is that this storm is going to have a narrow swath of heavy snowfall, so it's likely that there will be winners and losers in PA as a whole and probably in this sub forum region. The high positioning (or lack thereof..as it's well east) is def a disadvantage and a major factor as to why the storm will have a narrow swath of snow and ice.. so track is probably even more crucial than usual. Without the high up north this will probably be purely a where the low tracks vs a miller B/secondary scenario.  The Euro apps track is certainly not one you actually see very often but it's not impossible either. GFS is the more typical coastal track but favors central/eastern and leaves western PA fairly dry. 

I was born in '65.

One of my first snowstorm memories was from the winter of 72-73. I developed a horrible ear infection on the day we got like 9" of snow but it blew and blew and blew. I was taken to the doctor that day on a snowmobile...

Nut, was that you?

Nope....but I've been "on call" for our fire company (well my sons as hes a junior member),..

and I was only 3 :)

Nut

Archived