joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Central PA Jan 22-24 "The NortheastPAWx Special" storm obs/banter

canderson

• Replies 703
  • Created
  • Last Reply

10.7" was the best I could do. The gradient is insane, Altoona and Hollidaysburg (8-10 miles south of here) have 19.2" and 21" reports respectively. Pretty interesting watching the radar last night, as I was under nearly the same kind of echoes a lot of the time but it never seemed like the rates matched the radar overhead.. but apparently it did just south of here. Also been under echoes the last several hours and it had only snowed for about half an hour of that time. 

I thought you would get 12" or more by the way it was looking for you but either way still not bad for you.

So whens our next one :)

Thanks, guys, for the reassuring words.  You know how people can be when a person claims to have the most, etc.

Thanks also for the CTP link.

Picked up 1.1" more from 3:00 - 4:00, most of that came after 3:30.  Storm total now 33.4"  I only have 2.6" to go and it's currently snowing at close to 2"/hour again.  But, looking at radar, I'll be lucky to maintain this rate for another full hour.  The echoes are starting to collapse southward fairly rapidly, signifying the low is beginning to accelerate eastward away from us.  It's a race to the 3 foot finish line!!

Thanks, guys, for the reassuring words. You know how people can be when a person claims to have the most, etc.

Picked up 1.1" more from 3:00 - 4:00, most of that came after 3:30. Storm total now 33.4" I only have 2.6" to go and it's currently snowing at close to 2"/hour again. But, looking at radar, I'll be lucky to maintain this rate for another full hour. The echoes are starting to collapse southward fairly rapidly, signifying the low is beginning to accelerate eastward away from us. It's a race to the 3 foot finish line!!

Congrats on catching the mega band. 81 corridor was jackpot.

Ok...got caught up with my iPhone's memory running out and then having to figure out how to transfer all my stuff over to my laptop.  I've had the phone for 16 months and today is the first day I ever connected it to my laptop...lol.

Between 2:00 and 3:00 an additional 0.6" fell giving a storm total of 32.3".  Right as I was taking that ob the snow suddenly began to ramp back up again and it's been getting heavier and heavier again, back up to at least 1.5"/hour.  I noticed another band redeveloped just north of me and began to slowly sink southward so that it has put me back in the heavy stuff again.

Looking at the other local obs I can see that my total is the highest by around 4".  All I can say is that I know how to measure snow and have been doing it correctly for decades.  I was certified as a trained spotter by NWS Mt. Holly back in the 90's.  I'm only sharing this just to reassure anyone who might have doubts about the validity of my measurements.  My son knows how to measure also and he has been taking readings from a friend's house about 5 miles south of me, and his readings have been slightly higher than mine have been.

Anyway, sorry for the digression.  It's pouring snow back out there again and I'm beginning to think I might just make it to 3 feet.  Will update again at 4:00.

you know what you're doing. cool. I just hope you get your fame on TWC/AW24-7/WN/TWN for that certified total. at this point, just hit between a yardstick and a meter-stick. This storm just plain over-performed for you, and I'm sure you'll be the observation of record.

There is no way in hell Harrisburg can be open Monday. None, zero.

I haven't seen a plow since 1 a.m. I'm f'd.

none of the politicians at the capitol stuck around to use their hot air to melt it? yea, they'll probably not be open til tuesday. btw, where is that "commonwealth meteorologist" for PEMA in all of this?

I'd assume 81 itself will be fine. That wil be one snow-filled run though. I live 1.5 miles due east of 81 abd the entire corridor was mauled.

Well, I got 19.75" so far, and I know what you guys got down there. Through the panhandle region and into northern VA I've seen from 22-34 inches along I-81. Weyer's Cave itself got 17.5.

Yes, it'll be a snow-filled (and quite pretty) ride!

Archived