joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Central PA Jan 22-24 "The NortheastPAWx Special" storm obs/banter

canderson

• Replies 703
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Mag, what do you make of the current radar presentation? I know the storm has to move out at some point, but what I've noticed is that moisture is still moving east to west in from the ocean over New Jersey, but out this way, the northwestern edge seems to be slowly collapsing southeast. Is it dry air pushing in, or does the storm still pivot and build back to the northwest?

Our heavy snow has lightened up somewhat, and the "death band" I alluded to over Allentown is slowly creeping southeast.

The precip shield is starting to contract southeastward as it pivots with the coastal low starting to move away. So things will likely begin to start lightening up for you with potentially a little bit of back building of the shield. 

The precip shield is starting to contract southeastward as it pivots with the coastal low starting to move away. So things will likely begin to start lightening up for you with potentially a little bit of back building of the shield. 

Thanks. I do see a little bit of backbuilding going on. Overall this was a great storm and I have no complaints. I was hoping to at least get into double digits and it went well beyond my hopes.

Thanks. I do see a little bit of backbuilding going on. Overall this was a great storm and I have no complaints. I was hoping to at least get into double digits and it went well beyond my hopes.

Yea I'm certainly happy to get into double digits as well even though I'm still jealous that there was 8-10 more inches than here just 10 miles down the road haha. 

Ok...got caught up with my iPhone's memory running out and then having to figure out how to transfer all my stuff over to my laptop.  I've had the phone for 16 months and today is the first day I ever connected it to my laptop...lol.

Between 2:00 and 3:00 an additional 0.6" fell giving a storm total of 32.3".  Right as I was taking that ob the snow suddenly began to ramp back up again and it's been getting heavier and heavier again, back up to at least 1.5"/hour.  I noticed another band redeveloped just north of me and began to slowly sink southward so that it has put me back in the heavy stuff again.

Looking at the other local obs I can see that my total is the highest by around 4".  All I can say is that I know how to measure snow and have been doing it correctly for decades.  I was certified as a trained spotter by NWS Mt. Holly back in the 90's.  I'm only sharing this just to reassure anyone who might have doubts about the validity of my measurements.  My son knows how to measure also and he has been taking readings from a friend's house about 5 miles south of me, and his readings have been slightly higher than mine have been.

Anyway, sorry for the digression.  It's pouring snow back out there again and I'm beginning to think I might just make it to 3 feet.  Will update again at 4:00.

Ok...got caught up with my iPhone's memory running out and then having to figure out how to transfer all my stuff over to my laptop.  I've had the phone for 16 months and today is the first day I ever connected it to my laptop...lol.

Between 2:00 and 3:00 an additional 0.6" fell giving a storm total of 32.3".  Right as I was taking that ob the snow suddenly began to ramp back up again and it's been getting heavier and heavier again, back up to at least 1.5"/hour.  I noticed another band redeveloped just north of me and began to slowly sink southward so that it has put me back in the heavy stuff again.

Looking at the other local obs I can see that my total is the highest by around 4".  All I can say is that I know how to measure snow and have been doing it correctly for decades.  I was certified as a trained spotter by NWS Mt. Holly back in the 90's.  I'm only sharing this just to reassure anyone who might have doubts about the validity of my measurements.  My son knows how to measure also and he has been taking readings from a friend's house about 5 miles south of me, and his readings have been slightly higher than mine have been.

Anyway, sorry for the digression.  It's pouring snow back out there again and I'm beginning to think I might just make it to 3 feet.  Will update again at 4:00.

No doubt whatsoever from me. You sat under that yellow band earlier for hours. You're good.  :)

This band that's running from SW Harrisburg to Carlisle is insanity, high wind has and heavy snow.

Etters, PA  27" as best as I can tell.  Walked the property to best ascertain my measurement.  Winds have really picked up last hour.  Waiting until 5 or so for last clean up of the day...which will make 3 passes with the blower down the driveway.  Quite the storm!

You didn't have to explain yourself to us, I love reading your ops and measurements.

MDT upped their total to 23". Still 2-4" less than what we have south. I'd guess djr, sauss. Atom and I all have about the sage 26" or so.

Where did you see MDT upped their measurement to 23 ?

Last statement I saw from 130pm said they were at 18. I'm hoping the 23 is right, because then we'd just need 2 more inches to beat 1983 !

Archived