joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
STORM MODE THREAD- January 22-23 Mid Atlantic Storm Thread #4 - No Banter

stormtracker

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

2" of water content on a 1500 sq foot roof comes to about 8 tons of extra weight. Normally, a well constructed roof in good shape should handle that much. But I wouldn't put my money on that roof holding up when you're getting toward the totals the GFS just predicted.

If the 0z GFS is gonna verify we want wind to blow some of that off the roof. Drifts will be massive.

I assume the 00z GFS has the new data from the Hurricane Hunters but does anyone know if the 00z RGEM had that too?

This would imply beyond gfs

" The 0Z Friday suite of computer models tonight will be bolstered by data from dropsondes being released this evening by a NOAA Gulfstream-IV hurricane-hunter jet."

Bob Henson on WU Jeff Masters blog

The weird thing is I expect that type of ridiculous qpf output from the NAM. You can easily write that off as the NAM being the NAM. I don't believe the GFS has any bias when it comes to overdoing qpf, so to see that much is startling and makes you wonder if maybe it is legit. It also has some support from the RGEM.

This would imply beyond gfs

" The 0Z Friday suite of computer models tonight will be bolstered by data from dropsondes being released this evening by a NOAA Gulfstream-IV hurricane-hunter jet."

Bob Henson on WU Jeff Masters blog

Timing wise, I don't think the NAM gets but a few but they are all in for the GFS.

I know it's a bit silly to mention the ensembles at this point, but if the ops GFS was doing crazy stuff with convection (as mentioned from the radio show?), one would think the ensembles would smooth that out.  If they're even similar to what the ops GFS shows, then that might say something.  Just curious.

Archived