Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Pre-storm Banter Thread

WxUSAF

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That channel 7 map makes complete sense if you don't have access to the NAM, GFS, Euro, Rgem, GGEM, and JMA. Someone should email them some links to ncep or tidbits or something. 

Some lightweight models if I ever saw any!  :lol:

Here's hoping they bust waaaaaay low on that (the channel 7 map, that is).

Husband changed his Saturday morning flight into national to tomorrow morning. Then hears that the government is closing early. So it will still take him hours to get home but I suppose he at least has a chance to land, unlike Saturday at 10am. He is cursing the world though.

Which government is closing early? Has that been announced?

I'm with Matt, I'd use climo.  Mote did a study fo snow across Nebraska and foudn that the really high ratios usually do not occur with the really big ones because the snow on top of the earlier snow compacts it.  You might get fluff on the top but compress teh bottom so it's less tha 10-1.

Do you think it is possible that we are gonna have widespread power outages?  Do you think that they will need to haul snow as opposed to plow it.  I am too young but my dad tells me that in 2003 a lot of lost power and a lot of people couldnt get out of their homes at all!

Don't get these tv Mets and the rpm and in-house models. Not sure showing 7-11" would change anybody's response at this point, but it doesn't help the "weather people are always wrong" narrative among the idiot hoi polloi.

Re: Ian's tweet showing the gfs consistency with this storm. Make sure you tell DT.

Are TV Mets paid to hug the RPM or something?

As fast as the snow that fell last night has been melting, I doubt there will be any driving problems Saturday or Sunday. Plus, we'll have another 2-3 days toward the summer solstice worth of increased sunlight. And I've reached that conclusion without figuring in additional evaporation of the snow from the 30-40mph winds. Roads should be fine on Monday. Sorry teachers and kids.  :(

Archived