joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Pre-storm Banter Thread

WxUSAF

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm with Matt, I'd use climo.  Mote did a study fo snow across Nebraska and foudn that the really high ratios usually do not occur with the really big ones because the snow on top of the earlier snow compacts it.  You might get fluff on the top but compress teh bottom so it's less tha 10-1.

Got it. Thank you for the explanation Wes. Good luck i hope you get at least 30".

LULZ. Sorry it is 31". I was 2" off, so please have someone ream me out again like they are my mother when they are 10 years younger than me. The internet gives a lot of people perceived power that they don't have in real life.

if you are getting that butthurt over me asking you to stop over hyping this storm, then perhaps you should look at yourself instead of others. 

LULZ. Sorry it is 31". I was 2" off, so please have someone ream me out again like they are my mother when they are 10 years younger than me. The internet gives a lot of people perceived power that they don't have in real life.

The only thing is, there is more to forecasting than plugging a number from one model run into an algorithm.  You have to take into account model biases/consistency, the array of model solutions, climo, etc.  Ultimately, if I think there will be no mixing (not 100% for me), I will use 11:1 for this storm, but my QPF number will de derived from a number of factors.  For my 1st guess yesterday afternoon I used a QPF number of 1.7" which was lower than model guidance.  When I make a another guess later, my QPF number will probably be less than most guidance..

if you are getting that butthurt over me asking you to stop over hyping this storm, then perhaps you should look at yourself instead of others. 

It's not butthurt, i don't appreciate you talking to me like you are my mother. Maybe you don't realize this, but you come off like that whenever you don't like what someone posts. You seem like a nice person you just have to chill a little.

The only thing is, there is more to forecasting than plugging a number from one model run into an algorithm.  You have to take into account model biases/consistency, the array of model solutions, climo, etc.  Ultimately, if I think there will be no mixing (not 100% for me), I will use 11:1 for this storm, but my QPF number will de derived from a number of factors.  For my 1st guess yesterday afternoon I used a QPF number of 1.7" which was lower than model guidance.  When I make a another guess later, my QPF number will probably be less than most guidance..

Makes a lot of sense. But why would your QPF number be lower than a blended total of the models you trust the most?. 

It's not butthurt, i don't appreciate you talking to me like you are my mother. Maybe you don't realize this, but you come off like that whenever you don't like what someone posts. You seem like a nice person you just have to chill a little.

I actually thought i was pretty reasonable with my posts towards you as history has shown i have no problem being a b**ch if need be. however, if they came off as i was scolding you, then my apologies. 

Husband changed his Saturday morning flight into national to tomorrow morning. Then hears that the government is closing early. So it will still take him hours to get home but I suppose he at least has a chance to land, unlike Saturday at 10am. He is cursing the world though.

Federal government closing early?  I don't see that on the OPM site.

Me and my son are going to set up his gopro for timelapse. I'm going to move my deck table against the house and set up the camera by the window. I won't be able to get the overnight stuff but the nuking should look pretty cool. I'm going to clear half the table at dawn. If it works I'll stick it on youtube and link it up here. 

Sarcasm doesn't translate well online :)

Where are they getting those numbers from, has there been ANY indication that the totals would be this low?

LOL, was wondering if you were being sarcastic or were actually thinking it was by 10AM Saturday...to be honest, my first thought was that is the total through Friday night!  All model guidance is giving us that much or more by then.

I don't know anything about their in house model or what it uses.

I actually thought i was pretty reasonable with my posts towards you as history has shown i have no problem being a b**ch if need be. however, if they came off as i was scolding you, then my apologies. 

No problem i appreciate it. In the future i will post a disclaimer that it is coming from a source that does not use 10:1 since i do not have WxBell.  :hug:

lol

#StormWatch7 in house computer MODEL brings numbers down a bit along I-95 due to potential sleet/rain mix.

CZQdEH0UsAAD-Qb.png

I will say that since I discovered weather forums, I stopped watching the new for totals. lol  With all the technology and information on the internet, it is interesting how so many mets can be so scattered in forecasts. I think in terms of severe weather, more cooperation should be had. How about one consensus map that all mets use for the region?

Don't get these tv Mets and the rpm and in-house models. Not sure showing 7-11" would change anybody's response at this point, but it doesn't help the "weather people are always wrong" narrative among the idiot hoi polloi.

Re: Ian's tweet showing the gfs consistency with this storm. Make sure you tell DT.

That channel 7 map makes complete sense if you don't have access to the NAM, GFS, Euro, Rgem, GGEM, and JMA. Someone should email them some links to ncep or tidbits or something. 

Those models you listed are horrible. They are like the 18th century of modeling. In house MODEL is where it's at, Bob. Get with the program. 

Archived