• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Jan 22-23 East Coast Storm Discussion

Wow

I hear some people talk about the energy coming on shore in CA and being properly sampled at some point today.  Has that happened as of yet?, and would it make the models swing from their current trends?

I mean could more sampling make this an apps runner, or simple go up in smoke?  Would more sampling affect the track, or strength, or both??

• Replies 3.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I hear some people talk about the energy coming on shore in CA and being properly sampled at some point today.  Has that happened as of yet?, and would it make the models swing from their current trends?

I mean could more sampling make this an apps runner, or simple go up in smoke???

i believe it came onshore early this morn.

The Euro keeps trending farther south with the shortwave that rolls through the Great Lakes and into New England from hrs 15-39.  That in concert with the building west coast ridge forces our Pacific wave to dig well south.  The Great Lakes shortwave seems to be the key piece that has trended south (the Pacific wave is forced to track underneath the confluence in its wake).  If the flow was flat out ahead of our Pacific wave, it would lift north.

Hmm, that seems to imply maybe Atlanta can get in on the comma head snows as low pressure begins to depart...wonder if the 850s have crashed by then.

I haven't seen that model before.  Looks like the French model?  Really interesting track as it transfers down towards the Gulf coast in the FL panhandle.  Wow.

http://meteocentre.com/models/explorateur.php?lang=fr&map=na&run=12&mod=arpege&stn=PNMPR&comp=1&run2=12&mod2=arpege&stn2=PNMPR&hh2=090&fixhh=1&stn2_type=prog&mode=latest&yyyy=latest&mm=latest&dd=latest&hh=078

The NAVGEM is also not far off (it came further south with the 12z run).  I think the JMA was similar, as well.

Yeah i'm curious to see how well it does in a wedge situation.  it implies a big ice storm for the upstate and even gets freezing temps into north ga before the main precip ends.

TT_TT_PN_078_0000.gifTT_TT_PN_084_0000.gif

TT_TT_PN_090_0000.gif

The GFS tries to look like euro at the beginning, but really has not WEDGE or Confluence into NE (EURO does, and been trending stronger)  I would favor the euro and its ensembles in this situation...why??  Better physics in the models, better handle on the energy imho...but maybe most importantly there is some good wedging and confluence in NE and a -NAO.  This could trend a bit further south...IMHO

One trend I do see in the next day on the models is the leading wave moving across the lakes is trending south - that storm is what builds our HP overhead as it moves into 50/50 position.  I think this is part of the reason why our storm is digging farther south as well.

EPS isn't quite as far south as the OP...still a BIG CAD signature there and low is bombing off the coast. 

It's a mean so it balloons the isobars more as you move further out, but the 850mb 0 line is dead on with the Euro operational.

One trend I do see in the next day on the models is the leading wave moving across the lakes is trending south - that storm is what builds our HP overhead as it moves into 50/50 position.  I think this is part of the reason why our storm is digging farther south as well.

agreed!!  I think the GFS is screwing that up and jumping to much energy out ahead.  

Archived