joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Jan 22-23 East Coast Storm Discussion

Wow

• Replies 3.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Could this result in an increased risk for significant ZR in the Upstate?

That's a question we may not know until the event is ongoing. 1 or 2 degrees in this kind of event can make all the difference between just a cold rain or major ice storm. Just last year, the upstate had mostly rain in the forecast and of course we ended up with sleet and temps 3-5 degrees colder than forecast. I'm thinking right now that we get .25 or more of ice north of a Pickens, Easley, Fountain Inn, Union to York line. This could of course be wrong by 50 miles or more either way, depending on just how things work out. I'd say a major ice storm, or maybe snow, is a slam dunk for Rutherford and Cleveland counties northward though.

Much more of this South trend from the Euro and the Midlands stand a chance of seeing something.... substantial shift South on the Euro snowfall maps.. 1 inch line as far south as newberry sc over into Florence!  Half inch line through CAE.

This would be back end.. but has a chance to trend colder/better.

That's a question we may not know until the event is ongoing. 1 or 2 degrees in this kind of event can make all the difference between just a cold rain or major ice storm. Just last year, the upstate had mostly rain in the forecast and of course we ended up with sleet and temps 3-5 degrees colder than forecast. I'm thinking right now that we get .25 or more of ice north of a Pickens, Easley, Fountain Inn, Union to York line. This could of course be wrong by 50 miles or more either way, depending on just how things work out. I'd say a major ice storm, or maybe snow, is a slam dunk for Rutherford and Cleveland counties northward though.

the 12z euro run is a pretty big ice storm for the upstate. verbatim,  temps go below freezing by 12z friday then around an inch liquid. But given the euro's tendency to be a few degrees too warm, it's probably freezing by 06z. Hell even has freezing temps into extreme ne ga by hour 78...although most of the heavy precip is off to the east by then. But again wouldn't be surprised that by 12z far northeast counties are freezing by then. But for the upstate, after the ice, Probably a few inches of back end snows with the deformation zone afterwards.

Indeed sir   :(

For real. I'm thrilled to death that it shifted far enough south to screw northern areas of the mid atlantic, :devilsmiley: but if north carolina gets to 2 to 3 inch liquid winter precip, man...that's just not fair lol

Tell me about it.  I'm just hoping for a miracle 1-2" Wednesday.  LOL

I know...it sure seems silly when you see areas progged to get 1 to 2 feet. Embarrassing and sad.

Archived