12bet1 net
    Newest Member
    12bet1 net
Jan 22-23 East Coast Storm Discussion

Wow

• Replies 3.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It just seems doubtful that the wedging is going to be so strong that it keeps the WAA at bay from a low that far north/west of the SE. It's almost like something like you see on a 300 hour GFS, not 84 hour.

Is it because of the transfer of the low to the coast that locks in the wedge?

Yea it helps to establish and maintain the low level cold oozing down the apps so where the coastal low starts to take off it keep those northerly winds locked in.

For my location the 6Z nam output showed all RN during for this system. 

The 12Z has came in are give me 3 hours of SN then 15 hours of frzn :)

Good trends, now will the GFS continue the colder 2m temps? Will it track the low farther south? My guess is it will stick to its guns.

From Robert's FB page.  Wxsouth

The new model runs are beginning, and first out is NAM. Suprisingly good agreement with the Globals on this on its last frames, ending Friday night, and it shows a major Ice Storm in North Carolina Piedmont, and now is colder at the surface for northern SC and northeast GA. This drops over 1" to about 1.5" liquid equivalent into sub freezing air around the 85 corridor and west through the Triad down to Hickory, which would be a dangerous and destructive icestorm. I suspect all models are not cold enough yet , since they have the strong high in a perfect spot in PA and western New York funneliing down low level cold air, trends usually go toward colder in a damming event east of the Apps.

It clobbers much of central, northern Kentucky with big time snow totals and is just beginning for Virgnia, already some foot amounts though in VA and western NC. (lots of sleet mixed in probably near there). This only goes out to Friday night (much more snow coming for WVa. VA, MD and DE, NC)

I'll have a full breakdown at my site after all model runs today as well as put out the alert here on FB. Sorry but I can't answer all the questions about how much snow and ice will occur, wish I could, but my time is limited at FB.

It just seems doubtful that the wedging is going to be so strong that it keeps the WAA at bay from a low that far north/west of the SE.  It's almost like something like you see on a 300 hour GFS, not 84 hour. 

Is it because of the transfer of the low to the coast that locks in the wedge? 

As i noted the other day, it's actually not that uncommon to see strong wedging with a low west of the mountains. Especially so in north carolina/upstate. . Plus temps aloft with this system are not excessive with max temps aloft reaching 6 or 7c at their highest value on the nam, for example...which is good enough if the boundary  layer is cold and  deep enough. If the near surface cold layer was too shallow, it would erode faster but in this case they are quite cold up to 925mb or a little higher on the nam..which is more than enough to support freezing temps at the surface within the wedge in north carolina and maybe even into the parts of the northern upstate 

The window for any large shifts is quickly closing and I would expect mesoscale banding features as well as thermal profiles to become more consistent in the next 24hrs. Small run to run variations are to be expected and likely not going to be enough to constitute a bonafide trend. Folks in the Piedmont and Foothills maybe down to GSP, it would be prudent to makes preps for power interuptions, possibly significant.

FRIDAY NIGHT...THE CENTER OF THE SFC LOW WILL LIFT TO THE NE AS THE
MID LEVEL LOW SLIDES ACROSS THE SOUTHERN APPALACHIANS. DEEP
MOISTURE...CAA...AND NW WINDS WILL MAINTAIN PRECIP ACROSS THE NC
MTNS ALL NIGHT. IN FACT...THE SLOW PASSAGE OF THE MID LEVEL LOW MAY
KEEP PRECIP OVER MOST OF THE CWA WELL INTO THE NIGHT. P-TYPE WILL
GRADUALLY CHANGE OVER TO SNOW FROM WEST TO EAST. NWFS WILL
CONTINUE THROUGH SATURDAY ENDING DURING THE EVENING. THIS FORECAST
PACKAGE WILL FEATURE A SIGNIFICANT INCREASE IN THE MENTION OF FZRA
ACROSS THE NRN MTNS AND NRN FOOTHILLS...WITH WARNING CRITERIA ICE
OVER AVERY AND MITCHELL COUNTIES. SNOWFALL AMOUNTS ARE STILL
EXPECTED TO BE HIGH ACROSS THE NRN MTNS...MODERATE OVER THE REST OF
THE TN BORDER COUNTIES. IN ADDITION...SAT MORNING TEMPS SHOULD FALL
BELOW FREEZING ACROSS THE NC MTNS AND FOOTHILLS...RESULTING IN SLICK
ROADS. THESE HAZARDS WILL BE ADDRESSED IN THE HWO.

Archived