• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    12bet1 net
    Newest Member
    12bet1 net
Jan 22-23 East Coast Storm Discussion

Wow

I agree.  I'm thinking starting out as some frzra or sleet, depending on the warm nose.  

Then transitioning to rain which could help melt some of the ice that forms... then a changeover on the back end to some snow..depending on the deformation band

I would say that's the smart forecast for right now. If the GFS starts to trend to the euro then we may never go to rain.

• Replies 3.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Sorry, I just don't buy the EURO with the big Southeastward jump. Looks really odd and I don;t ever remember seeing one do that before but then again neither do I think the GFS is correct with the low coming straight through the mountains. I think most of us are going to get a huge mixed bag (outside the mtns) with a nasty ice storm in some areas. Todays runs will allow us to zero in on amounts and track

I agree, No way I'll get 19 inches of snow out of this set up. Maybe a little thump to start thin Ice. 

Hoping everyone has some snow but hoping WNC stays all Snow I don't like an ICE storm.  :snowing:

Hoping GFS and other models cave to the Euro solution, this will have more folks in the snow area.

I think WNC stays all frozen during the event but just not sure what type of frozen.

If it is anything like the old nogaps I would expect it to be a little south and flatter than the other globals, GFS, EC, CMC.

Lol your gonna laugh at me but I freakin loved the NOGAPS. It either did work or had some extremely whacky crazy solution that had no relevance to any other model. The most snow I've ever seen fall from one storm was back in the mid 2000's in CT. We got 38" confirmed by a spotter and it was insane (euro now spitting that out for me in ROA). Funny thing tho was the NOGAPS had some wild solution for that storm and the models trended toward it it was like it's only coup I had ever saw. Anyhow, I told everyone not to worry last night there was some solid trends for folks in NC. I got a good feeling about today now that the storm is about to come on in to the US

should get decent sampling today as the wave comes ashore.  still think this is a majority rain storm for my area. cant discount the gfs as it has been very consistent. i think this will be one of those "what could have been" storms, as we are progged to get so much qpf.  

Hasn't the Euro been just as consistent? Not sure why you can't discount the Euro just as much as you can't the GFS. Euro has a reputation of handling CAD better, too.

should get decent sampling today as the wave comes ashore.  still think this is a majority rain storm for my area. cant discount the gfs as it has been very consistent. i think this will be one of those "what could have been" storms, as we are progged to get so much qpf.  

I think a lot of places are still well within reach of a mostly frozen event, including the Triangle.  If I were forecasting right now, I would go with a mix to rain scenario...possibly with some backside snow (I wouldn't count on much of that here, as we'll get swiped by the deform band as the storm pulls away.  Not only does this type of track preclude all snow for the Triangle, but it will dry slot us as well.

There is a wave in the northern branch at 72 that is moving east, just north of the US.  It needs to move through faster and allow the high to build in faster.  It would also be nice if the entire height field was shifted south by 100 miles.  Good luck with that, though.

After looking at the data and seeing the trends over the last 48 hrs, my guess is that the GFS is about the most northern possibility right now.  CAD will look better as we get closer.  It would be better if the air mass wasn't stale, so to speak.  But if that northern energy moves by faster, maybe we'd have an outside shot at the high building in a little bit better.  We'll see....

Last night the GGEM Canadian and the euro were beautiful and they were much colder than the crap GFS that plows lows into confluence. That's the key for folks that are new to the game. You will learn that lows, especially transferring lows do not move dense cold air. In fact, when you transfer the low to the coast like that all it does is enhance the low level cold air because the winds will lock in to coming out the north as the system moves up the coast. For Raleigh and portions of northwestern SC I get it it is much more risky for winter weather but if I was in Asheville western NC mountains GSO I would be a little excited from the 00z runs from last night.

Hoping for more southern/eastern/colder = less fzrn trends today.  I do have a couple of questions and am hoping that some of can learn a few things this morning:

1) Which model handles miller B scenarios the best?  We don't have that many that effect us this far south?  I would imagine the euro would handle the CAD better than the GFS which could effect where the secondary low forms off the coast??  Maybe I should ask the MA folks, but they have their hands full nailing down the 3 foot Jackpot zone!

2) To us that are less knowledgeable, the CAD source high doesn't look that impressive.  I can analyze a 1032 mb high parked over NY, but that's not the case here.  Someone mentioned "confluence" I believe.  I don't know exactly what that is and how to tell if it is trending stronger.  Can someone help?  I'm trying to figure out what to be looking for on today's run.

3) Besides the energy coming on shore today, I'm sure we should be looking at the first system for tomorrow.  I believe it might turn into a 50/50 low?  What is that, and should we be rooting for it to be stronger and hang on longer before moving out to serve as a blocking mechanism?

Thanks for the great disco!  

I think a lot of places are still well within reach of a mostly frozen event, including the Triangle.  If I were forecasting right now, I would go with a mix to rain scenario...possibly with some backside snow (I wouldn't count on much of that here, as we'll get swiped by the deform band as the storm pulls away.  Not only does this type of track preclude all snow for the Triangle, but it will dry slot us as well.

There is a wave in the northern branch at 72 that is moving east, just north of the US.  It needs to move through faster and allow the high to build in faster.  It would also be nice if the entire height field was shifted south by 100 miles.  Good luck with that, though.

After looking at the data and seeing the trends over the last 48 hrs, my guess is that the GFS is about the most northern possibility right now.  CAD will look better as we get closer.  It would be better if the air mass wasn't stale, so to speak.  But if that northern energy moves by faster, maybe we'd have an outside shot at the high building in a little bit better.  We'll see....

the worst part is the big dog snow totals are sickeningly close to us, and with several ensemble members showing a hit it is juuuust enough to keep you sucked in.  

Everyone seems to be on the GFS train because it got the system last weekend right. But before everyone is all about the Euro being the king. I think some folks are just jumping on the GFS now just to avoid being let down if it does end up being right again. 

Where do you come up with this stuff?  EVERYONE is not on the GFS train.  Who is Everyone?

Hoping everyone has some snow but hoping WNC stays all Snow I don't like an ICE storm:snowing:

Hoping GFS and other models cave to the Euro solution, this will have more folks in the snow area.

I think WNC stays all frozen during the event but just not sure what type of frozen.

Agreed! We'll just have to see where the models take us from this point.

I bet we will go into STORM MODE soon and the banter will need to be relegated to the dedicated thread.  Just a little public service announcement.  Let's keep this thread dedicated to analysis.  I'm sure we will have guests stopping by.  Let's put all of the crap in the closet like we do when guests come to our homes.  :)

The EURO's superior resolution gives it a big edge over the GFS with a wedge-type system such as this. Plus,as others have mentioned, more often than not the wedge/CAD is underestimated at this range. I fully expect the EC to be much closer to reality than the GFS at this point. Here's hoping to a good day of model watching!

Thanks. So it a mechanism to raise heights and create some blocking. Which map on a model run would show this? 500mb heights?

Precisely. See you already know lol. But yes 5h would be a great tool to use. You can look at the isobars as well on 5h and determine the source of your air. So if you take the 1hr 12z nam the isobars are coming straight out of Canada and the confluence is very strong, as naturally it is bitterly cold outside.

Archived