amirah5
Jan 22-23 East Coast Storm Discussion

Wow

• Replies 3.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Here is a better frame of the 00z UKMET at hr 96:

GZ_D5_PN_096_0000.gif

And there is the difference between the GFS. Most global models do not take the primary up into Kentucky. Instead, like the Ukmet it transfers its energy sooner. Here you see the transfer occurs from southeastern TN to Charleston. That would have a profound effect on surface temps etc for more people on the southeast forum.

Right now it looks like the cmc and ukie are in the 12z euro camp as far as track.

The CMC is really far north then transfers near the central SC coast. The UK really has more of a Miller A look. I have no idea what temps look like on the UK. 

edit: After taking another look at that UK map it probably does go up to SE Tennessee and then transfers to Charleston. I think I really wanted it to not transfer...

Right now it looks like the cmc and ukie are in the 12z euro camp as far as track.

You can add the 0Z Ggem and Canadian as well. So you have the CMC, UKIE, GGEM and CANADIAN vs the GFS in reference to transferring its energy further south and sooner rather than shooting the primary way north.

You can add the 0Z Ggem and Canadian as well. So you have the CMC, UKIE, GGEM and CANADIAN vs the GFS in reference to transferring its energy further south and sooner rather than shooting the primary way north.

The ggem, canadian and cmc are all the same.

It's all about where the energy transfers underneath the cad boundary or right through it. Obviously if you plow through it , it will scour out. On the other hand energy transfers underneath, it just helps it sustain itself imo. Then when coastal takes over your on the backside with north wind.

As a native to the CLT area I have never seen well established CAD where the high remains in a somewhat favorable position erode as quickly as a model projects. I rule of thumb I have come up with is to add 12 to 24 hours. With that being said Ive heard 1996 being thrown around and while the synoptic setup is similar, as I recall that high was stronger and its source air mass was more cold and dry. Dew points were in the single digits when precip began.

And there is the difference between the GFS. Most global models do not take the primary up into Kentucky. Instead, like the Ukmet it transfers its energy sooner. Here you see the transfer occurs from southeastern TN to Charleston. That would have a profound effect on surface temps etc for more people on the southeast forum.

Bingo! This is the last piece of the puzzle. The primary staying in tact and rolling up through coal field country will stop our ne wind cold source tap. That's why gfs sends a furnace through NC even though LP is formed from energy transfer off SC coast. It's an outier with this idea at the moment verse rest of guidance. Everything else imo has enough consensus to where we know LP will end up in central TN then transfer energy to the coast near sav charleston. Big Question is will it let it all go or do like the gfs and kinda of double barrel up till WV and then let the primary go and send energy out to the coastal around dellmarva.

As a native to the CLT area I have never seen well established CAD where the high remains in a somewhat favorable position erode as quickly as a model projects. I rule of thumb I have come up with is to add 12 to 24 hours. With that being said Ive heard 1996 being thrown around and while the synoptic setup is similar, as I recall that high was stronger and its source air mass was more cold and dry. Dew points were in the single digits when precip began.

You are correct sir. The air mass leading up to that storm was incredibly cold. Granted I was only 9 years old at the time but I remember going outside and it was frigid. I lived in CT at the time but remember watching the folks on the weather channel pump the storm up.

The GFS always seems to have a penchant to show very disappointing runs at this point, dry and warm solutions, only to retreat back to the fun and games the euro may be showing. If this were a miller a, it would be right around now the gfs would through a cutter at us. This is awful meteorology, the GFS could very well be right with its less than impressive surface depiction. I think its telling though that other models are coming in colder. When does that newfangled euro parallel come out?

In my opinion anyone in central NC should not expect this to be a all snow type of storm.  The best scenario, or worst, (depending on your personal preference) would be a front end snow, then mix w/ ip and zr, then back to snow at the end.  But this could very well be a snow, rn, snow or rn to back end snow.  I just down see this being a all snow event for us.

Fully agree.  The wrong wave is amplifying for us.  What we really needed was for this weak system coming in on Wed to amplify down into the deep south instead of the Friday wave - wishcast.

Archived