Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
Jan 22-23 East Coast Storm Discussion

Wow

• Replies 3.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm not sure why anyone at least in the northern half of North Carolina is discounting this. The GFS has a known bias to erode cad way too quickly this has been on display in previous storms. To top that there were several models that had good tracks for wintry weather at 12z for you guys. Everyone needs to calm down.

And still four days to go. The Euro and other models have been just as consistent as the GFS with their further south solutions. And like you and others said, the GFS is plowing it through the wedge. The Euro has just as much chance as being right.

Obviously there must not be much of a HP to the north for it to drive right thru it?

Frost, 90 hrs the GFS shows a 1024 mb high pressure parked up in lake placid ny area. That is a prime ideal spot to drain low level cold air down the apps and into the mountains of NC at the minimum. Now granted its not the 1033-1036 high euro depicted at 12z but it is sufficient to help to where the low doesn't punch through. That is where there is differing amongst the models. I'm not sure if euro has a better sense of picking up low level cold air over the GFS maybe someone can enlighten me however I just saw James posted of a major ice storm so yea if the high stays entrenched up north then a wintry weather scenario will be more likely

Maybe the cmc is a 2 inch front thump with about 4 inches of sleet followed by 1 inch wraparound snow on top.

Am I close james

Hard to say until better maps are available. Feast your eyes on these maps if you dare:

http://www.meteociel.fr/modeles/geme_cartes.php?ech=6&code=0&carte=3&mode=0&archive=0

Here is the 00z UKMET at hr 96:

UN96-21.GIF?19-05

EDIT: Looking over the CMC on Tropical Tidbits, the 00z Canadian is a bit colder than the 12z run.

Frost, 90 hrs the GFS shows a 1024 mb high pressure parked up in lake placid ny area. That is a prime ideal spot to drain low level cold air down the apps and into the mountains of NC at the minimum. Now granted its not the 1033-1036 high euro depicted at 12z but it is sufficient to help to where the low doesn't punch through. That is where there is differing amongst the models. I'm not sure if euro has a better sense of picking up low level cold air over the GFS maybe someone can enlighten me however I just saw James posted of a major ice storm so yea if the high stays entrenched up north then a wintry weather scenario will be more likely

Ok, thanks. Just wondering 1024 seems weak, like to see 1030-1035 HP

I think what the euro would be wrong on out of everything would end up being that it modeled the high too strong and dense up north. I think all of the models have a good handle on the track once it transfers. It's the gosh darn primary that is screwing people further south of me.

I've seen him be wrong more times than I can count, the fact that this gives his "backyard" the goods gives me enough reason to doubt him on this one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I hope so, I've seen him wrong a lot too.... But when a model goes to what he says, It's a different ball game to my thinking. I hope he misses it bad!!!! 

In my opinion anyone in central NC should not expect this to be a all snow type of storm.  The best scenario, or worst, (depending on your personal preference) would be a front end snow, then mix w/ ip and zr, then back to snow at the end.  But this could very well be a snow, rn, snow or rn to back end snow.  I just down see this being a all snow event for us.

Archived