joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Jan 22-23 East Coast Storm Discussion

Wow

• Replies 3.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Question has anyone ever seen the Euro show anything like this before? Nam yes Euro for me NO 

The closest situation I can remember being only 3 days out was December 2000 for Raleigh. That was the ETA(modern day NAM) showing like 3 feet in raleigh. Of course that busted big time. As far as the euro showing 30 inches of snow this close... That is pretty much unheard of in NC.

I would think the 12z runs would surely have the most data in them.  The 00z runs will have enough time to have the data included?

00z won't have all the data but it will have some. By 00z the wave is barely coming ashore, it may be sampled a bit but the full s/w will be sampled by the 12z runs.

I think john wow has an archive of gary gray discussions before that 96 blizzard.

I remember the 96 storm well, and for us that lived in the Triad area might remember Rob Roseman. He had a slogan Rob was right. Because he nailed the amounts. But i still cannot remember the Euro being this insane and leading the way with the numbers.

I didn't start following the models until around 99. I have heard that too about the euro and jan 96. The setups are pretty close, so I could see it. The euro is normally at its best in these types of scenarios.

This is what crowned Euro king in my mind.

The 18z GEFS looks a tick colder compared to the 12z GEFS. Maybe a bit faster, as well. Not a huge difference by any means, but a continuation of the trend.

12-13" moves into the a Triad on the mean on the AmericanWx Mode Suite, though that might include IP/ZR.

Yeah, the 18z GEFS has the same trend.  The primary low doesn't reach as far north and is colder ahead of the storm.

Yeah, the 18z GEFS has the same trend.  The primary low doesn't reach as far north and is colder ahead of the storm.

Yeah, that seemed to be the main difference.  The transfer (around CHS) and such looked about the same on the mean.

The 18z NAVGEM is really crazy, haha.  I really shouldn't look at it, but I can't help it.  Complete crushjob and very little precip gets up to NOVA.  I'm sure that won't happen, but it continues to somehow shift further south with each run.

From the Keeping it Real Department of the Former I85/U.S 74 Weather Weenie Association, this caution: The 18z GFS doesn't actually show a winter event for the Charlotte/Shelby/GSP corridor. Per soundings, it never gets below 34.8 in any of those spots. Heck, Hickory only gets to -.1C (31.8F) for just 3 hours before going above freezing the rest of the way, save for an inch or 2 of backside powder at the end. My point is not to be a Debbie Downer, but rather to suggest that the GFS, while trending the right way, could still be right. I-40 will I'm sure be fine, but for the I-85/US 74 crowd, anything is still possible from the Euro's cataclysm to the GFS's long, wet, soaking snoozer.

EDIT: And yes, I'm aware the models struggle with CAD.

Yeah, that seemed to be the main difference.  The transfer (around CHS) and such looked about the same on the mean.

The 18z NAVGEM is really crazy, haha.  I really shouldn't look at it, but I can't help it.  Complete crushjob and very little precip gets up to NOVA.  I'm sure that won't happen, but it continues to somehow shift further south with each run.

Where are you getting this 18z Navy model at?  I can not find anything but the 12z anywhere.

I'm not entirely counting out this scenario actually.  That is, the primary dies out before it even reaches TN and the secondary forms over FL/GA and quickly bombs.  That suddenly builds heavy precip shield over WNC like what you see in noreasters over the MA/NE.  That's what the Euro and Navgem do.

Anyone mind posting up the snowfall totals and ICE(the mean) for GEFS? For the NC Foothills? :)

Can someone please post the GEFS maps?

Here is the clown. :)

2uidhdj.gif

Where are you getting this 18z Navy model at?  I can not find anything but the 12z anywhere.

https://www.fnmoc.navy.mil/wxmap_cgi/cgi-bin/wxmap_DOD_area.cgi?area=fnmoc_conus&set=All

It's an obscure site, but it gets the NAVGEM much quicker than any other site I know of.

I'm not entirely counting out this scenario actually.  That is, the primary dies out before it even reaches TN and the secondary forms over FL/GA and quickly bombs.  That suddenly builds heavy precip shield over WNC like what you see in noreasters over the MA/NE.  That's what the Euro and Navgem do.

Possible, but how many times does that actually happen?  Not much imo.  This thing will come north once it reforms.  It almost has to.

Archived