joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Jan 22-23 East Coast Storm Discussion

Wow

• Replies 3.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

just saw that, don't know if it's believable. If it's correct I'll be headed up there. I have noticed the models trending towards higlands, cashiers, toxaway as the area to be.

Yeah its probably a little overdone but quite amazing..especially after that gsp afd 

Damn.  My gps just gives directions.

Lookout....after you're done laughing, you can delete this.

Lol..gps, gsp, gfs...f***..lol.typing on the phone sucks...but nah have to live with ones mistakes...besides not the first time and won't be the last mistake on here

latest rap improved for rdu, heavy snow at 10am. sleet/frz rain south. turns to all sleet after 12 or so though for majority of the state.

rap_ref_seus_13.png

Verbatim a lot of ice from GSP to AVL to CLT to RDU - that would be ugly. Amazing the differences in some of the models right now. Don't we normally drop the GFS and Euro at this range and focus on the short range models more? Seems the GFS and Euro are still touting the better scenarios while the short range NAM, RAP, etc are cooking some disappointment stew for many. I don't think we should be so quick to discount the NAM just because it looks terrible. I think it nailed the 2 big storms over the past two years from this range, and as I recall, it brought in huge WAA in both of those and disappointed a lot of folks. 

The Nam hasn't been the Nam over the past 24 hours. Not sure how to describe it other than to look at how long the GFS wanted to pull the Low through Tennessee for the longest time despite every other models showing. Granted at this point it's more of a wait and see thing now. I think a lot of people are overreacting to the Nam, and the way the GFS was so much different proves that even though we are at the rivers edge on this thing getting going, there's still a lot at play to make or break someones hopes. I think the best way to approach our current predicament is to not go with the NAM. Time will tell, but it is pretty much an outlier at this point. 

FWIW, the HRRR has been trending S and E with the primary for the past 4-5 runs. Again, it's the HRRR and I have no idea if it's worth more than the bytes of data sent over the internet to my computer to view it. HRRR also keeps RDU all snow through at least 18z tomorrow, with 3-5" of accumulation for the Triangle. Doesn't look like sleet.

The Nam hasn't been the Nam over the past 24 hours. Not sure how to describe it other than to look at how long the GFS wanted to pull the Low through Tennessee for the longest time despite every other models showing. Granted at this point it's more of a wait and see thing now. I think a lot of people are overreacting to the Nam, and the way the GFS was so much different proves that even though we are at the rivers edge on this thing getting going, there's still a lot at play to make or break someones hopes. I think the best way to approach our current predicament is to not go with the NAM. Time will tell, but it is pretty much an outlier at this point. 

Just so im clear to how it works on here....we all like the Euro from 72-24 hours out from event but the NAM as the event time nears?

On BUFKIT: even the warm-o NAM keeps RDU sleet through 3 PM, with liquid equivalent total of 0.7", which, if all sleet, translates to about 2" of sleet. Given that there will probably be more snow than the NAM is showing, it's not at all unreasonable for RDU and the NW parts of the Triangle to see 3-5" of snow and sleet by early tomorrow afternoon.

Unfortunately, it shows another 0.7" of ZR through 8 PM.

It never brings RDU above freezing at the surface.

FWIW, the HRRR has been trending S and E with the primary for the past 4-5 runs. Again, it's the HRRR and I have no idea if it's worth more than the bytes of data sent over the internet to my computer to view it. HRRR also keeps RDU all snow through at least 18z tomorrow, with 3-5" of accumulation for the Triangle. Doesn't look like sleet.

Noticing this as well... something to watch.  Wouldn't that be a neat trick.

BTW, the sfc low is just north of Mobile.  Was never forecast to be this far south.

Differences between 0z GFS and NAM for Charlotte. Crazy the differences only a few hours at most from precip starting.

GFS

b09a6999fdb7f909a1bdcdcf54da2e8e.jpg

NAM

416c4ef59372687335c3f6ddd76fc6ef.jpg

Edit - Just noticed the GFS has rain and snow on the 28th on this. So take all the rain out and some snow. Total precip then would be about the same as the NAM but types very different.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

WPC is discarding the 00z NAM.

http://www.wpc.ncep.noaa.gov/discussions/hpcdiscussions.php?disc=pmdhmd

SYSTEM MOVING THROUGH THE SOUTHEAST/MID ATLANTIC COAST

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

PREFERENCE: NON-NAM COMPROMISE

CONFIDENCE: ABOVE AVERAGE

THE 00Z NAM IS A NORTHWARD OUTLIER ALOFT SATURDAY MORNING BEFORE

BECOMING A SLOW OUTLIER THEREAFTER -- THE NAM HAS A BIAS OF

OCCASIONALLY BEING TOO SLOW. A COMPROMISE OF THE 00Z GFS/12Z

ECMWF/12Z CANADIAN/12Z UKMET IS PREFERRED WITH ABOVE AVERAGE

CONFIDENCE.